• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What defines an overpowered Pokémon to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Ah, yes, the term "overpowered". One that can be juggled on in some regards. Pokémon that are much too strong and can really break the game in their own right because of their strength.

When you look at a Pokémon in-game, what makes you call it overpowered? Usually we talk about Pokémon that have strong offensive stats and/or Speed that can hit really hard, such as pseudo-legendaries, Lucario in B2W2/XY, and a slew of them in Unova like Excadrill, Chandelure, Haxorus, Lilligant, Krookodile, and then some.

And on the opposing side we have Gym Leaders known for certain maniacal Pokémon, like Whitney, Clair, Norman, Tate and Liza in Emerald, Fantina, and others. And of course we have Champions, who have powerful aces that can be seen as this, like Cynthia's Garchomp, Lance's trio of Dragonites, Ghetsis' Hydreigon in BW, Iris' Haxorus in B2W2 to an extent, especially on Challenge Mode/rematches (YES I DID SAY TO AN EXTENT), and even Diantha's Mega Gardevoir to a similar degree.

How do you feel about using Pokémon that you classify as such? Will you steer clear of them completely or will you throw a couple on your team simply because? What are some you've wanted to use but get turned off from because of it? Or what you feel are such but end up using them anyway? For that matter, what does it take for you to define an opponent as overpowered?

Discuss.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
    When it has no real counter and can counter and defeat it's checks and counters.

Can sweep a whole team with ease.

Bulk on top of some of the above.

Great typing with some of the above.

Great ability and moveset that complement each other on top of some of the above.

So:

Aegislash, mega Mawile, sand excadrill in BW/BW2, Ubers, etc.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Similarly to above, I feel that Pokémon are overpowering when they have no actual checks nor counters.

If you're using some Pokémon and are having an easy time sweeping with it without having to worry about being stopped in any way, then the Pokémon itself is likely not very difficult to utilize, and it could be identified for its stats to be above-average; if these are indeed the case, I would personally consider it to be overpowered.

Though, stats aren't the only thing; there's a lot of other aspects that could help making a Pokémon more powerful than majority of others, including ability and moves that it has access to.

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2014
    Magikarp....... ok.. maybe not Magikarp lol :P

Any Pokemon that beats me is clearly overpowered IMO, I mean, who dare beat me! haha

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    I think it's when a Pokémon overcentralizes the metagame.

BTW, about Lilligant...

Opponent withdrew Whatever!
    Opponent sent out Skarmory!

Where's your Lilligant now. :P Only thing it has going for it is Petal Dance with Own Tempo, but Grass is a crap offensive type.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    One Pokémon I've always found to be sort of overpowering is Blissey. It's actually pretty easy to take down if you have any physical hitter on your team (it could be defeated with only a single hit, in most cases), but if you don't, it's going to be more than average in terms of difficulty. Its Special Defense stat is heavy, and so is its HP; with the combination, it could withstand thousands of special hits.

Blissey also has access to a ton of stalling moves, such as Protect, Wish, and Heal Bell; with them, it's able to recover itself whenever it's in low health. This Pokémon could learn Seismic Toss and Toxic, too, so as far as damaging goes, it never has to worry. Its pre-evolution, Chansey, is also pretty powerful, but could be even more deadly if an Eviolite is given.

Aside from above two, I'd say Garchomp. It's now more easy to defeat than ever thanks to introduction of fairy, but could still wreck some heavy things once it manages to set-up Swords Dance.

Years
    To the people mentioning competitive stuff and the metagame, not to be rude but you know this is Pokémon Gaming Central, right? Not the competitive forum? That's two forums above this one, if I were to ask that about the metagame I would have posted this there. (I wouldn't use Lilligant in most competitive battles but that's aside the point.) I even said "in-game" in the OP. Granted, when it comes to in-game anything can be super strong depending on how you use it, but let me have a say.

As I mentioned, most Pokémon that are overpowered to me are ones that have high stats and abilities/moves to back it up. As for me, in normal plays I don't care if I use very strong stuff, but during challenges I won't use too many unless I feel certain ones are necessary.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    I really think that overpowered-ness doesn't really exist in-game, as any Pokemon can break down its normal "checks and counters" if it's 20 levels higher than it. Plus, opponent's Pokemon are controlled by the games, which don't even switch Pokemon so it it's that hard to take care of some Pokemon. I think that is why people are mentioning competitive aspects, because I think that the overpowered aspect only exists there.

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2014
    Heres another interesting sub-question to this... as Mew can learn any TM or HM in the game, then what would be the best moveset for a full strength Mew to learn (and other ways to maximise it)???

I think that Mew has the potential to be the most overpowered if only for the ability it has to learn every TM or HM, but then clearly it's how to decide what are the best combo of moves for it to have to make it "overpowered"?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back