• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What did you do with the Red Gyarados?

What did you do with the Red Gyarados?

• Used it in my team as a main member

Votes: 96 23.7%
  • HM slave

Votes: 83 20.5%
  • Boxed, never to see the light again

Votes: 189 46.7%
  • Wait, people caught that thing?

Votes: 37 9.1%

• Total voters
Years
  • In the two playthroughs of the game that I've done I've already had a Water type. The first time I played it was just a regular Gyarados and that was because I didn't want to wait all the way to my 4th gym badge to get it so I just hooked up a Magikarp with the Old Rod instead. The second time I started with Totodile. In summary... I boxed it and it'll never, ever see the light of day.

GoombaGeek

what does this box do
    Years
  • I reset about 20 times until I got a Timid one.

Ever since then I've been afraid to touch it, terrified that the slightest misstep would cause the shinyness to come off.

It's my only shiny Pokémon ever (ever since I played the original Silver...) so training it will have to wait until I have another one and become desensitized to the things :(

xGunLuis

Let's Player
    Years
  • i gave it moves like surf / waterfall / whirlpool / strength just so my other more important ones didnt have to waste a move slot XD

Doa

Analyzer
    Years
  • Boxed. My brother, ever the "strategist", used him as an HM Slave and important team member at the same time.

...If only I'd thought to use it for...other...purposes than just boxing it. Perhaps it could have been a Magikarp challenge breeding machine.

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2012
    I was lucky enough to catch the Red Gyarados with an Adamant Nature so I decided to box mine away for later on when I would get around to EV training it and using him in wifi battling. Two years later and I still haven't gotten around to it. XD Some day I will have the time and the patience to put in the hard work. :D

Wiilio

Friendly neighborhood fatman
    Years
  • I RNG'd every stationary/gift Pokemon in my most recent HG run. That, of course, included Gyarados. After I caught it, it was an insanely reliable powerhouse for my team. I used it for my in-game team, and gave it an EV remake after the E4. Now it's ready for a competitive battle!

Blazeingfire380

*hums pokemon r/b/y theme*
    Years
  • I actually used mine as a main member up until the elite 4. It was helpful in most of my battles, although it was usually like a last resort, least used type thing.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I actually kept mine but it took the place of my HM slave so it ended up with Surf and Waterfall, I think. It might have had Strength, too. XD; So it was technically the water Pokemon of my team but I'm pretty sure it acted as the HM slave anyway even if I didn't remember it until I scrolled past that poll option after submitting my vote.

I'm a little ashamed I even used it. :( It's such a gimmicky Pokemon. Oh well.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I think I kept it in my party as a HM slave, maybe? Or I boxed it. I'm sure I did one of those two because I definitely wouldn't use it for long. XD; PLUS I'm sure it has a terrible nature like Modest tbh.

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
    Years
  • Used him as my one of my MAIN members on the TEAM since I didn't want to give FERALIGATR any HM moves I just used GYARADOS to be my surfing POKEMON.... :)

It's really cool having a strong GYARADOS on your TEAM.. :D

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • Put it in the 'Shiny' Box along with my Shiny SUNKERN. I use it with my non-shiny GYARADOS (along with TYPHLOSION) for my Power POKeAthlon

diab_low

All men live, only few exist.
    Years
  • As soon as i catch the gyarados he becomes a permanment establishment in my team for the rest of the game. He is very capeable of taking hits.

Posted from Pokecommunity.com App for Android

Back