• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you look for in anime?

Sector

Banned
Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    Some Anime that has 'Goofy Expressions,' making like 'OH NO THIS CAN'T BE' faces and getting made and has that evil look with the forehand turning all black, are ok. It depends on how often they use it. Like....'My Bride is a Mermaid' has way to many of that.

I LOVE Anime that has perfect action, detailed about the players and straight up keep their face normal even when happy/real upset. Example? Heroic Age, Angel Beats, Kaze No Stigma(Well, Kazuma always keep a straight face) and so forth.

I hate straight up comedy in a lot of things, so those Anime are a no-no in my book. ALSO, some of the nudity can be let down a bit on a few Anime. Sometime they just ruin the show a bit and I prefer it a bit cleaner, but that's just me. The graphics to look a bit 3D-ish is a real good one also. I love those.

I prefer English Dubs however, I'm sure the Japanese is great but isn't all that different outside of the Japanese story/play situation..I just rather listen to a language I actually understand :P

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • It depends on the genres. If it's comedy, then I'm not going to watch it. If it's dark and has a lot of action, then I'll watch it. And if it's a magical girl I'd definitely watch it. And as long as the series had some romance in it, I'll watch it. Anything that isn't serious and just pure comedy I would never want to watch.

Skitty1

Highlight my signature :)
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2012
    I like all of the elements of anime - fan service, plot, art and everything. It beats the hell out of a talking sponge any way :P.

I have seen a few animes (these are not all though)...

What do you look for in anime?

Sector

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    Also I forgot to point out, sometimes the romance Anime are just plain retarded in my opinion. Why? THEY NEVER GET THE KISS IN!! -_- I personally find this retarded 100%, without a doubt....

Shinigami_

Resident Death God
    Years
  • Balance between humor and action, and also give me a story with good characters, a decent plot and also good character development. if you can fulfill any or all of these? We're good!

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2012
    When I first started really getting into anime, the only genre I was searching for was harem, with hints of romance and comedy. I fancied the idea of a male character surrounded by a series of female characters, all fighting for him and eventually he ends up with a potential girlfriend/wife. What I disliked about these shows, however, was the characteristics usually embedded within the male protagonist -- a wimpy, weak, averagely-looking male without any opposite gender interaction ends up a victim of multiple female interests. That ticked me off and I decided, finally, to expand my genre-choosing.

Currently, the only genre I avoid -- or not watch a lot -- are generic harem anime, which surprisingly have been pouring by dozens these days. I'm more interested in anime that have a complicated yet intriguing storyline, characters that keep you anticipating their every moves and who experience perpetual development throughout the plot, psychological elements tackling the story and affecting the characters, coherent and accurate art that wow you through each incident, and such. Comedy is certainly a plus, but comedy with no real meaning behind it or just randomly bombarded for the lolz is just a huge no-no. Fanservice/gore/sexual scenes and innuendos/badmouthing all are just extra elements that I feel won't affect the show unless overused.

fatmanjumprope

黒雷 神 エネル
    Years
  • Character Development

The best quality in any anime or manga imo is proper character development. For this reason I enjoy a lot of the longer running series like One Piece and
    Bleach. Without proper character development you're left with just another typical series that runs 26 episodes and gets forgotten.

guitargodd97

Video Game Creator
    Years
  • I look for characters that seem real, and I love characters that feel real and are extremely intelligent. Psychological battles are really cool.

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
    Years
  • I mostly look for something that has an interesting storyline. I also make sure there's some romance to keep things fresh, and LOTS of comedy because I love to laugh! I also try to find some that have more than 26 episodes because I like having something to look forward to when I get home from school or having something that I can become attached to.

I also get pictures of the main characters to see if the male lead is hot. haha, no..!!

Renyui!

ascender
    Years
  • Things that appeal to me

>Huge, scary, complex lookin' crazy-as-hell machines/mechs/etc (Code Geass, Evangelion)

>Real dark, crazy stuff (I'm looking at you, Gantz)

>Gothic, supernatural tone (Soul Eater)

>Ones that don't have your stereotypical Vegeta/Sasuke/Anti-Hero jerky evil good dude. Don't get me wrong, Vegeta is a crazy mother, but I don't like seeing him pop up in every second anime.

>Chicks

Years
  • What I look for:

- Cuteness =D
    - Comedy factors and funny drawn expressions
    - Exaggerated movements, actions etc xD
    - Sometimes romance
    - Or action XD

Generally I really love anime that makes me laugh =)

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • I look for three things primarily... Memorable characters, continuity, and admittedly style.

Memorable characters should be self explanatory, they need to be interesting!

Continuity, meaning having the series as one continuous story to reach a certain goal as opposed to a series of unrelated events.

And, style... Meaning the art, and how things are drawn, I don't know, I just LOVE anime expressions.

Turn-it

Coordinator/Elite Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2012
    action, adventure, sometimes ecchi, sometimes sports, a good plot, a twist is always good, sometime romance and sometimes suspense. I guess you can say I look for a lot. It would depend on my mood at the time.

Airodactyl

#142 Forever and Always
    Years
  • My favorite animes are all ever-so-slightly grounded in reality, so the less wacky an anime is, the more I'll probably like it.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • Here's a little chat between parallelzero and myself.

"parallelzero - Kaka! said: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAyc2b85yjA
    Andu-kun: Suki? said : wait, so the long haired person is a girl?
    parallelzero - Kaka! said : Koko? Yeah
    teenaged girl. XD
    Andu-kun: Suki? said : her face in the OP (and I think other shots I saw) made me think she was a guy...
    parallelzero - Kaka! said : she's a chick. XD
    Andu-kun: Suki? said : She has boobs?!
    parallelzero - Kaka! said : ya
    Andu-kun: Suki? said : well, since that's a girl I guess I'll give the show a shot.
    parallelzero - Kaka! said : so glad your personality is easy to nail down. XD"

So, what do I look for in anime?... Your guess is as good as mine. XD

Really, I don't look for this or that in anime. I just watch what I think I'll like. It might be a slice of life like K-ON, a a mystery like Gosick, or an action like Gurren Lagann. It's just something that I think I'll like and I watch it.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Cleavage shots.

I like to see somewhat decent fight scenes and rather likable characters right off the bat nowadays, as long as a show can deliver that and keep the annoying mascots out of the limelight for the most part then we're good.

pink-tiger

Love in the Air
    Years
  • The number one thing I look for when it comes to watching anime is drawing style. For example when it comes to manga, in my opinion I love Arina Tanemura, her drawing style is GREAT. XD
    And when it comes to anime I look for animation style, then the quality of the plot. Sadly some anime out there are a bit dull and boring. :(

Koi

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    I guess I look for the comedy and story. Anime with good comedy gives me a good laugh and anime with good story gives me some kind of inspiration from watching it, so yeah.

Back