• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you think a Pokemons life expectancy is?

Nineray

Green Okido
Years
  • I've always wondered this and i would say about 30-70 years depending on the pokemon. the pikachu from the first season(puka) was 20 or at least i think he was and he seemed old and absols pokedex entry says it can live for 100 years making that seem like a long lifespan.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • Well, if they are Ash's Pokemon then they will have a shorter one cuz hes an idiot and gets them injured. But I think Pokemon have a longer life expectancy than humans by far because in some episodes you see someone thats like 90 years old and talks about having the Pokemon since they were 7 and it's still battling and in good health.

Years
  • Huh. Even though I've thought about this, I've never really thought to much into it.

To be honest, I'd guess they live maybe 5-10 years longer than their animal counterpart (mechanical ones would live until they rusted, I guess) But I'd base it on size as well. (so for instance a galvantula would live a lot longer than a normal spider since it's a lot bigger) It's really just hard to picture a pokemon dieing. (of old age, at least)

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • Also I need to add something that I forgot.. I can't remember which episode but its the one with Ninetales. So I think some Pokemon never die or they just die but are still living. Idk.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    Pokemon that are made out of elements may live forever.
    Such as Regirock, Registeel and Regice.
    Also, legendary Pokemon may also be immortal.

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
  • Yeah, I think legendary Pokemon are immortal, legendaries like Palkia and Dialga, credited with creating time and space, have obviously been around for awhile.

I see pokemon like Ledyba living 15 or so years, and Pokemon like Snorlax living for 150 years. So mostly based on size. Although it is pretty hard to guess.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    Aah, I've always wondered about this! There's not a whole lot of canon information to base an answer on, but I'd imagine it probably varies greatly between Pokemon species. I wouldn't think most bugs would live as long as, say, dragons. Also, the way it says Absol can live for a century implies that most Pokemon can't, perhaps even that most Pokemon can't live nearly that long, hence why Absol's longevity in particular is impressive.

The species with shorter life spans would probably live at the very least around a decade or so? If their life spans were too short it'd seem kind of pointless to bother training them, as they'd grow old and die before reaching their full potential.

And what about Ghost Pokemon? They're supposedly otherworldy spirits, sure, but you can casually hatch them from eggs. You'd think they'd have to be able to die, otherwise they would overpopulate the world, but it's hard to say whether they work like regular organisms or not.

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2013
    It depends. In Pokemon based off bugs such as Butterfree or Dustox, they'd likely last only a few years, others such as Tauros, or Kangaskhan would likely last a little less than a human, while Pokemon that contain otherworldly properties would likely last over a hundred years, possibly for several millenniums. I mean, in episode 95, there were a Haunter and a Gastly guarding a trophy for over 300 years. A Ninetales in an episode was hinted to be over 200 years old. And according to the Pokedex, Ninetales can live for over a thousand years. The Pokedex also states that Steelixes are Onixes that are hardened underground for centuries. Plus, according to Pearl's and Dawn's Pokedexes, Spiritomb was sealed for over five centuries.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2017
    Pokemon life isn't based on size. Mew lived quite long too. As seen in Lucario and the mystery of Mew it lived centuries back.

Even Arceus isn't big ( twice a human's size) and it's the first ever pokemon.

Pinta77

I have no clue how long pokemon live. But my guess is something like oddish or caterpie probably doesn't live very long.

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • Just like animals irl there is no set answer. It is dependent on many things, like material, size, energy level, experiences and trauma, all that good stuff.

Though the only difference is that Pokémon can either actually be or technically be immortal, due to Legendaries and Pokéballs. But even then, there are exceptions, like Lati@s and Lugia, as seen by its need to breed (reproduction is useful only for increasing or maintaining population in animals that will die).

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2012
    "One thing you have to learn about DigimonPokemon - they never really die."

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I get the impression that they live for a similar lifespan that humans do. So 70-110 years.

I don't believe that they're immortal. I mean there are pokemon cemeteries/towers in the games.

It's more likely in terms of the anime it's a subject they don't want to touch. I mean have you seen the anime? The slightest mention of death would send alarm bells ringing at their HQ.

Last edited:

Tetrakeet

Lilligant's Caretaker
    Years
  • *sniff* I would see this post on the day my pet died. :( I was actually thinking about Pokemon life spans today because of this..

Makes sense to compare their life spans to animals, so yea, years may vary. 5-15 years sounds about right for most of them..

I still wonder if this little guy could change life spans if he/it was ever caught. I wish he could revive my little buddy..
    What do you think a Pokemons life expectancy is?

Back