• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen What do you think is the ultimate Gen1 team?

Duragi

Pokemon Researcher
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2011
    This will be like a debate. To figure out what is the most effective team for Generation 1. Provide valid reasons for your choices. Mewtwo, Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres are exempted from this. Ok, I'm allowing legendaries now(Mewtwo is still barred), due to demand.
    Keep debating. Please don't flip out and insult people, and please don't put crap like "Magikarp, because it's uber." This is a serious discussion.

I will edit this with the current accepted team, along with teams that lone people argue are better.

From the arguments I've seen,
    Jolteon: Great special, Great move pool, good speed. Supereffective against flying, water.
    Dragonite: Many resistances(Being a dragon type), Good move pool, good stats.
    Rhydon: Hits hard. Is a tough jahamma mamma. Attack Sweeper? STAB earthquake and rockslide also pack a punch.
    Starmie: Good move pool. Good speed and special. Takes care of rock/ground/fire types. OR Slowbro: Tough sweeper. Counters Rhydon.
    Alakazam: Amazing special. Psychic type(Buh bye poison and ghost types). But May I add its kinda squishy(low hp). Fast.
    Snorlax: One tough cookie. Good attack and special defence/defence

Other great arguements
    Gengar: Amazing special. the ONLY ghost type in gen1. Squishy, but immune to normal and fighting, strong against psychic.
    Charizard: Fire/flying type. A good sp att/att sweeper? Good moves. Takes care of pesky grass types. Fire spin.
    Jynx: Can make opponents sleep. Psychic and Ice beam available. Good offensive.
    Golem: Tank. Explosion for last resorts.
    Rapidash: Fast. Good attack. Fire spin.
    Chansey: High sd, uber hp, softboiled, thunder wave.
    Zapdos: Best flying type, electric also. Beats the other two legendary birds.
    Exeggutor: Great tank, great special. Unique typing. Great move pool.

Last edited:

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    This isn't going to go anywhere in S&M, as barely anyone battles Gen 1 competitively anymore. This'll probably fit better in Metal/Color generation discussions.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Dragonite, Alakazam, Gyarados, Jolteon, Snorlax.

For a sixth I was thinking Rhyhorn or Nidoking, but I couldn't think of a trope for it. :P
    Not my kind of team, but these all have a widespread reputation for being strong or useful, and most of them look the part, which for first generation Pokemon I can't say is surprising. I take it you're asking more for opinions than solid facts else you could simply look into their stats and choose for yourself.

jujuju

The Guelah Papyrus
    Years
    Persian- Great Attacker, Slash≥God
    Machamp- Can destroy anything in its path as long as its not psychic or flying
    Alakazam- Nothing beats psychic in this game, gengar may have a type advantage, but alakazam can outspeed it and will beat it anytime
    Jolteon- Very fast and a strong electric pokemon, good to take down whatever machamp can't
    Starmie- Give it Blizzard and it becomes one of the most dominant pokemon in the game, all around powerhouse
    Dragonite- Great annoyer with sweep capabilities. Give it thunder wave and do your best with moves like wrap and hyper beam, surf for the rock types

Again, not a team that I would use, but great all around stats and types. Dragonite and Alakazam alone could basically destroy anything with the rest there to back them up.

Last edited:

ChaoticArchon

The First Generation Master
    Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2011
    Rhydon- STAB Rockslide and Earthquake can put a dent in anything. Good type coverage.
    Starmie- Good Speed and Special, has a lot of sweet moves at its disposal: Surf, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Psychic, and Recover.
    Snorlax- Good Attack and a ton of HP. Great Mixed Sweeper with STAB Body Slam.
    Jolteon- Excellent Speed and good Special. Has some options for moves and has access to Thunder Wave.
    Dodrio- Strongest Flying-Type since Zapdos is banned. Gotta love Drill Peck.
    Jynx- Fast Sleeper with Blizzard and Psychic.

That was my attempt at the Ultimate Team. Fairly balanced with some good sweeping options once certain opposing Pokemon are out of the way.

Duragi

Pokemon Researcher
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2011
    Not my kind of team, but these all have a widespread reputation for being strong or useful, and most of them look the part, which for first generation Pokemon I can't say is surprising. I take it you're asking more for opinions than solid facts else you could simply look into their stats and choose for yourself.

I am looking for solid facts AND opinions. I want to find a team EVERYONE can agree is the best. I want compelling arguments. And I want you guys to improve other's idea's. Like changing a poke for another. And there's more to it than stats. there's movesets, types, and such. I am NOT looking for the coolest team, I'm looking for the most effective. I want you to argue your point to convince others, I want you to argue why this pokemon should or shouldn't be included. I want you to debate until you all agree.

So far:
    2 votes for Dragonite, 2 for Alakazam, 2 for Snorlax, 3 for Jolteon, 1 for everything else. S we are agreeing that Jolteon should be in the team?

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    There are too many great combiantions to deicde. It really depends on who the player is and what suits thier battling strategy. You can create several teams for just beating the storyline of the game, and still have several more combinations/teams for playing the game for maximum enjoyment. Also, thre are tons of pokemon that can suit different roles in each team with all different abilitites and moves to make the game mroe complex. So my answer is there is no pokemon team of RBY/GSC; really there is no ultimate team out of all Gen V pokemon.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Why has nobody mentioned Gengar yet? He's just like Alakazam, except more versatile and has an immunity to normal and fighting attacks. XD

I don't think anyone in this thread has mentioned Golem either, who was the best tank GenI had to offer, even if he did lack the attack power of his biggest rival, Rhydon. :P

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
    If you have Alakazam, you're pretty much in for the win. The only thing likely to counter it would be Scyther. Nidoking has a load of moves from all the different fields. Gengar is the same, but Alakazam destroys him. Yeah, the four trade evo Pokemon are pretty powerful and could work.

And, of course, Dragonite.

Duragi

Pokemon Researcher
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2011
    There are too many great combiantions to deicde. It really depends on who the player is and what suits thier battling strategy. You can create several teams for just beating the storyline of the game, and still have several more combinations/teams for playing the game for maximum enjoyment. Also, thre are tons of pokemon that can suit different roles in each team with all different abilitites and moves to make the game mroe complex. So my answer is there is no pokemon team of RBY/GSC; really there is no ultimate team out of all Gen V pokemon.

I am trying to find a team everyone can agree is foolproof, or at least the tightest.
    And jakeyboy, gengar can destroy alakazam as well because they are both supereffective against one another(Boils down to who's faster)

Jolteon: Great special, Great move pool, good speed. Supereffective against flying, water.
    Rhydon: Hits hard. Is a tough jahamma mamma. Attack Sweeper? STAB earthquake and rockslide also pack a punch.
    Starmie: Good move pool. Good speed and special. Takes care of rock/ground/fire types.
    Alakazam: Amazing special. Psychic type(Buh bye poison and ghost types). But May I add its kinda squishy(low hp).

Other great arguements
    Gengar: Amazing special. the ONLY ghost type in gen1. Squishy, but immune to normal and fighting, strong against psychic.
    Charizard: Fire/flying type. A good sp att/att sweeper? Good moves. Takes care of pesky grass types.
    Jynx: Can make opponents sleep. Psychic and Ice beam available.

I must ask: Chatot, why butterfree?

Keep arguing, improving, and defending your opinions and choices!!

jujuju

The Guelah Papyrus
    Years
    Sorry, something was wrong with my internet and I was not able to edit to explain my reasoning, but it should be fixed now. A few posts up^

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
    This will be like a debate. To figure out what is the most effective team for Generation 1. Provide valid reasons for your choices. Mewtwo, Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres are exempted from this. So start debating. Please don't flip out and insult people, and please don't put crap like "Magikarp, because it's uber." This is a serious discussion.

I will edit this with the current accepted team, along with teams that lone people argue are better.

Why are Articuno, Moltres and Zapdos exempt? They aren't particularly overpowering. But whatever.

jujujujujujujuujujujujjdsafjdsfa;jdslakds said:
    Machamp- Can destroy anything in its path as long as its not psychic or flying

Machamp sucks in RBY. Psychic is the most powerful (and broken) type and is literally on every team in at least two forms, Machamp has no chance. Zapdos is also pretty common and Drill Peck messes up Machamp, if you really want to use Machamp you have to have so much support for it, you're better off using something else. Same goes for pretty much all Fighting-types.

This is a team I've been using on NetBattle for a while:

Alakazam - fastest lead, so you pretty much get to t-wave whatever you face.
    Slowbro - Rhydon counter, bulky sweeper, tobybro is a boss.
    Tauros - fast offensive powerhouse
    Zapdos - to lure in rhydon for slowbro and twave stuff
    Golem - mightier than rhydon and gets explosion which is cool.
    Jynx - sleeper and pretty good offensive pkmn

The best teams though are the ones that use Fire Spin Ninetales, Fire Spin Moltres, Clamp Cloyster, Wrap Dragonite, and then 2 other pokemon. So fun to use.

Lati-Fan95

I completed my HG Pokedex!^^
    Years
    The best teams though are the ones that use Fire Spin Ninetales, Fire Spin Moltres, Clamp Cloyster, Wrap Dragonite, and then 2 other pokemon. So fun to use.

Maybe two more of those (please go easy on me guys, I'm still only half into competitive battling) : Fire Spin Rapidash/Charizard or Wrap Arbok with Glare (Rapidash for Moltres since you said Moltres is excepted) !^^ This is invincible!^^ And yeah, you can say that's invincible cuz the enemy can't do anything while being trapped in Wrap/clamp/Fire Spin!^^

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Metapod
    Kakuna
    Chansey
    Ditto
    Ratatta
    Magikarp

And while your opponent is completely loling at your final Pokemon and eminent defeat, crying tears of laughter that blind him, you pull the plug. Too bad, no one wins!

Duragi

Pokemon Researcher
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2011
    @ .gamer: Their not overpowering, but still powerful. Plus they're legendaries.

Starmie: Good move pool. Good speed and special. Takes care of rock/ground/fire types.
    Alakazam: Amazing special. Psychic type(Buh bye poison and ghost types). But May I add its kinda squishy(low hp). Fast.

Other great arguements
    Charizard: Fire/flying type. A good sp att/att sweeper? Good moves. Takes care of pesky grass types. Fire spin.
    Jynx: Can make opponents sleep. Psychic and Ice beam available. Good offensive.
    Golem: Tank. Explosion for last resorts.
    Rapidash: Fast. Good attack. Fire spin.
    Slowbro: Tough sweeper. Counters Rhydon.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    @ .gamer: Their not overpowering, but still powerful. Plus they're legendaries.
    Legendaries aren't always overpowered, and being a legendary doesn't mean its something. Its just a title, like a one-off Pokémon. Heck, Rhydon got better bulk and attacking power than Zapdos. :/

Here's what my team would look like:
    Alakazam, Dragonite, Jolteon, Snorlax, Rhydon/Golem, Zapdos
    'nuff said.

Duragi

Pokemon Researcher
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2011
    The legendary birds are allowed now.
    Also, a suggestion/question: Would Arcanine be a good choice?

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
    Metapod
    Kakuna
    Chansey
    Ditto
    Ratatta
    Magikarp

And while your opponent is completely loling at your final Pokemon and eminent defeat, crying tears of laughter that blind him, you pull the plug. Too bad, no one wins!

Is that from the Prima official strategy guide for RBY? I'm pretty sure I remember reading that in there. In the back.

Don't underestimate Chansey people. It's the only non-legendary/Uber pokémon which stalls and beats Alakazam. At least one of the few which can hold it off. AND it can learn Softboiled, cripple Alakazam with Thunder Wave etc. It's one of the best choices actually.

Persian is a solid choice as well. Fast and with a great critical hit rate with slash. Balanced with Bubblebeam and Thunderbolt it's a tough opponent.
    Starmie and other Alakazam do too.

Lati-Fan95^^ said:
    Maybe two more of those (please go easy on me guys, I'm still only half into competitive battling) : Fire Spin Rapidash/Charizard or Wrap Arbok with Glare (Rapidash for Moltres since you said Moltres is excepted) !^^ This is invincible!^^ And yeah, you can say that's invincible cuz the enemy can't do anything while being trapped in Wrap/clamp/Fire Spin!^^

they miss.

Mayfan24

Pokemon Trader
    Years
    Then Starmie would be the better choice? Starmie and Chansey can learn a wide variety of moves while Alakazam is more limited. And I found it pointless to even mention one kind of pokémon against the same kind. A pokémon can always hold it's own against another pokémon of the same kind.

What about the Toxic and Wrap/Fire Spin combo? I've heard that's a very useful combo.

yeah the wrap/toxic combo is a really good combo. I've always used it with my victreebel, it turns out really good.

Back