• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen What do YOU think made GSC so great?

The Roshi

I must become stronger...
Years
  • I think this series was so good because it was full of innovations.

day/night
    female character
    longest storyline
    pokegear
    multi-pocket pack
    registering key items
    pressing an HM tile to use said HM (i.e clicking on water for surf)
    time-based events
    shiny pokemon

However, I also think it's so widely loved because it wasn't remade right away, and its pokemon were made relatively exclusive.

Your thoughts?

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • I think the atmosphere made the GSC games amazing; yeah, that may sound a bit odd, but the overall feel of GSC just... blew people out of the water. Well, at least for me it did.

The Roshi

I must become stronger...
    Years
  • Hmm good point. I get what you're saying. It's like somehow GSC is much more exotic and... special than the others.

Years
  • GSC was the first time that we saw a lot of the innovations that have stuck around, and somehow the innovations that took place in RSE and DPPt weren't nearly as exciting. The day/night system, berries and hold items in general, the first new Pokémon, the first baby Pokémon and extra evolutions (and the only ones to not suck IMO), and the first ability to go back and battle other trainers (through the phone in the Pokégear) were all awesome additions to the games. The Johto region is my favorite region of them all, as I think it was exceedingly well-designed, and the ability to visit two regions (not to mention the final challenge against Red) was something that I wish they had kept, as it really set GSC apart.

BUG♥CATCHER★BREEZE

Lurker from the deep
    Years
  • Nostalgia! Oh, come on! I can't be nostalgic for RBY! :P

No, seriously, the improvement in the graphics, colour, some amazing Pokémon (my favourites are pretty much from that generation) not to mention the animations, and the facts they actually LOOK like the Pokémon they're supposed to be, breeding, shinies and Goldenrod City <3.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Compare it to R/B/Y and its easy to see why..
    It was such an epic jump!!
    And you even got to revisit R/B/Y in a sence but 3 years later... And you got to fight red. The champion from the region.
    There was just so much! I mean it tied perfectly in with R/B/Y!
    I mean if it was directly after R/S/E i dont think it would have had the same effect! Maybe after FR/LG though. It was just a great sequel and a great game overall!

Hallie

Ground Trainer
    Years
  • For me, it was definitely the ability to go between Kanto and Johto. Just to be able to re-visit Kanto, with all the spiffy new graphics, was awesome. And there was so much to do after defeating the Elite Four! And yes, like everyone else had said, the huge jump in graphics quality and the new innovations like day/night and hold items just made it feel shiny and new and amazing.

Years
  • So many new features,
    new areas to explore, check out old areas that have been revamped
    so much to do after the E4
    New pokemon
    introduction of the battle tower
    Hold items
    shiny pokemon
    just everything about it made it so memorable

Poké!

And as the world ends...
    Years
  • Johto. I just liked it. Oh Yeah, Raikou/Ho-oh/Celebi.
    And a few things the first guy mentioned.

*Nayz*

a.k.a L_Judah
    Years
  • My reasons are pretty much the same as all the ones previously said, but also I loved the music in GSC. I don't think any of the other games compare.

Years
  • Many reasons:
    It was my first Pokemon game ever ... making it great haha.
    The night and day feature made me love the game even more and was a great feature of the game for me.
    Another one was the Pokemon...I simply just love Johto Pokemon more then anything else. And the events (Bug contest) was really awesome and was fun for me. And the main one of all was being able to go to both Johto and Kanto and have a long journey! All this thinking about it makes me want to play it right now..

Years
  • The step up from RBY to GSC was just overwhelming
    There were so many new features, and two regions!
    I played Gold thinking it was the greatest game ever made

I dont think gamefreak has been able to quite hit the nail on the head with the other games.

Ayselipera

were just as good as the I generation
    pokemon. That really is what made the
    game so good and its also what the III
    and IV generation failed to capture.

Years
  • Stadium 2. That is the main thing that made the entire G/S/C experience well worth my while. Mini-games, battling, Mystery Gift, your room; Stadium 2 was freaking amazing.

PKMNgamer

youtube.com/pkmngamer
    Years
  • I think the atmosphere made the GSC games amazing; yeah, that may sound a bit odd, but the overall feel of GSC just... blew people out of the water. Well, at least for me it did.

I agree with this guy. The feel of the games is something that will always stick with you. I hope HGSS don't ruin that.

The reason I liked them most, because of the memories I have playing them.

I used to sit out on my porch at my old house in the middle of the night just playing crystal. I loved it so much. ahh... good times.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    For me? G/S/C was so great because it was my first three games. (I think I may have gotten Blue before I got Crystal but...) The hours I spent playing those games (especially my Silver) are memories I will never forget. Not to mention going to two regions, Day and Night (even though it was always screwed up in my game).

Not to mention that for me? The First 251 Pokemon I have always thought of as the 'Originals', because of how much I enjoyed my game. The Johto Pokemon were just as amazing as the Kanto Pokemon. :D

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    Best Pokémon generation IMO. The storyline and the races I had with my neighbours. Ahh good times *nostalgia*

I actually picked it up today and played it haha.

Back