• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen What do YOU think made GSC so great?

Years
  • Stadium 2. That is the main thing that made the entire G/S/C experience well worth my while. Mini-games, battling, Mystery Gift, your room; Stadium 2 was freaking amazing.
    This was one of my main reasons, too. Also, the music of GSC seems to fit the entire atmosphere of GSC better than the games coming afterward IMO. Anyway, GSC had most of the major improvements that are implemented into the current games. The regions included in GSC are also much more varied in terms of landscape than RSE (it's too tropical). DPPt tends to make up for that, sorta. I guess there are some other reasons, but I'm too tired to think of them.

oske

>:D
    Years
  • 1) Kanto.

2) Gold. (Coolest playable character ever.)

3) Silver. (Coolest rival ever.)

4) Best set of legendary Pokemon, in my opinion.

The Roshi

I must become stronger...
    Years
  • GSC also had the first version exclusive legends. So for me it was like... "pick your side, light (ho-oh) or dark (lugia)". I chose lugia. It's my favorite legend to date =P

Someone brought up an interesting point about it being the only true sequel. I think that's a HUGE part of why it was so cool. Because we could see updates to games that we had just played (rby) without them having to be remade. It seemed to be one big story, so it really continued off of the success and hype of the first pokemon games. Then when the 3rd gen came, there really was no back story or anything. Just a random hero named after a gem stone with a rip-off totally unrelated and never-to-be-referenced-again professor named birch. He saves the prof from a wild pokemon and fights a team stupid enough to destroy the world.

Very unlike GSC which had a backstory and built off of it. The hero wasn't really random because he fit in a storyline so he was truly a part of the "next-gen". Prof. Elm was in touch with Prof. Oak and Oak was even included in the game. Hero receives pokemon to complete a mission which evolves, rather than given a pokemon to complete an idea already proposed in the original series. (Go out and catch all the pokemon [RBY])

Last edited:
    Years
  • Its hype kept me amazed for years, and it just seemed so perfect. A single screenshot was enough to leave most boys of my age, back then completely surprised.
    New pokemons were just so, something completely new...
    And, as said before, the atmosphere around it felt so great, the kind of hype I miss from the late 90s, starting 00s, which I have never seen anymore.
    It had everything, in the place.
    I wish I could go back into that time.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 28, 2014
    I really enjoyed having the day and night system! Plus, I liked being able to go to Kanto after Johto. I also really liked the starters!

ianmichael7

Pokemon Fayt Creator
    Years
  • *16 Gyms
    *The ability to fight both blue and red
    *Shiny Pokemon
    *Moving Pokemon(Crystal)
    *New Sprites, B/R/Y(And green if you have it)All shared the same sprites
    *The ability to nearly complete the whole pokedex by yourself... you might need a friend for at least 10 or more lol

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2017
    I loved almost everything about Johto, the City layout, the Pokemon. The feel is what did it for me. It just had this awesome ancient feel coupled with modern feeling things like Goldenrod's magnet train, the time capsule, and Radio Towers (and radio). Being able to go into Kanto and being able to battle the gym leaders again just smacked it out of the park; best game out of them all.

IndigoPlateau

Captain of the Awesome Team
    Years
  • My favorite thing about the Gold and Silver games was the map. I just loved all the towns and all the gyms -- everything about it. Every town seemed to fit in with the other towns, nothing really stood out as special.

I also enjoyed the starters. There's a strong case to pick any of the three. You can't really single one out as the best.

One of the best features of the game -- in my opinion -- was the ability to go to Kanto after beating the Johto portion. Adding eight more badges and a familiar map to the game made it more lovable. That's one of the things I can't wait for in the remakes.

The Real AAA

Guess who's back!
    Years
  • My favorite thing about the Gold and Silver games was the map. I just loved all the towns and all the gyms -- everything about it. Every town seemed to fit in with the other towns, nothing really stood out as special.

I also enjoyed the starters. There's a strong case to pick any of the three. You can't really single one out as the best.

One of the best features of the game -- in my opinion -- was the ability to go to Kanto after beating the Johto portion. Adding eight more badges and a familiar map to the game made it more lovable. That's one of the things I can't wait for in the remakes.

i agree with everything
    2 me i think da Johto Map was just perfect and adding the Kanto made the game more exciting!

any yea i cant wait 4 da remake!
    When da reamke comes out im gonna be a freakin PKMN freak all over again lol!

SiegHart

Guardian of Time
    Years
  • What do YOU think made GSC so great?
    Day & night: I honestly thought having time of day and how it affected which wild Pokémon you battled was one of the best features of any Pokémon game.
    What do YOU think made GSC so great?
    Female main character: Ok, I never owned Crystal but it made a nice change from having male only characters to pick from.
    Apricorns: A feature admittedly I didn't use much, but one that came in very handy.
    Breeding: It started in Gen II and set the benchmark for the following games. Excellent addition with a lot of neat features.
    Shiny Pokémon: I've only ever caught a paltry 3 or so, but this was the beginning for them and let's face it, if you'd completed the already massive game and completed the normal Pokédex, there was nothing to stop you trying to complete a shinydex.
    Pokérus: Godsend to EV trainers everywhere.
    The inclusion of Kanto: Not one, but TWO huge worlds to explore plus with a few exclusions (I'm guessing due to size limitations) the Gen II Kanto was more or less completely faithful to the original.
    New evolutions: Gen II gave us some kick-ass evolutions (Espeon & Umbreon, anyone?) and also some new ways to evolve your Pokémon, including new stones and items.
    Berries & item holding: Arguably one of the best features that came with Gen II, holding berries & items not only effected evolution etc but added a whole new dimension to battling.
    Phone calls: Okay, i'm not as big a fan of this one as with the exception of Swarm-watchers I found the constant calls about Hikers battling "tough Starmies" incredibly annoying, but that said it came in handy if ever you needed to level up some lower-level beasts. And along with the SS Aqua, it meant you could rebattle a reasonable selection of trainers over and over.
    Steel & Dark Pokémon: Yes.
    Icy floors!: Okay, a bit childish but I adored sliding around in Ice Cave XD
    Better music: Just my humble opinion, but I thought some of the battle themes (Especially for Champ Lance & your rival) were amazing, and a vast improvement over the Gen I games. Some of the music for the cities was class as well.
    Happiness: Might just be me, but I enjoyed making my Pokémon happier by grooming/haircuts etc. Even if it was an expensive task.
    Trainer names: A small detail, but it gave your opponents a sense of personality instead of just being some generic grunt or Cooltrainer.
    Better gyms & leaders: Again, just my opinion but I prefer the Gen II gyms & leaders to the ones in Gen I for the most part.
    Mystery Gift: Stuff for free! Plus I liked the way you got to battle the person you last Mystery Gifted in Viridian's Trainer House.

There are probably other things but for now that's all I can think of. Some of the things that didn't make GSC so great were Baby Pokémon (un-necessary and a cheap way to bump the Pokémon tally to 251 imo), the TMs available (Some of them sucked and made me wonder why they didn't just keep a few of the Gen I TMs instead) and the overall lack of challenge (Leaders & Leet Four's Pokémon could have done with another few levels added on imo). But the positives vastly outweight the negatives, and that's why Gen II is my fave generation ^^

i cant think of a single thing that you missed, although i do wish that in any of the pokemon games it wasnt required to attend some event to get certain items or pokemon =[, cuz i dont like cheating to get stuff like celebi or the gs ball

Weatherman Kiyoshi

~Having one of THOSE days
    Years
  • The Phone calls where the best.
    I think I actually made best friends with a girl that actually only had a Nidoran(Female).
    Oh, how I liked the calls. For some reason, they had more charm than the Mach Calls in Emerald.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    I think the atmosphere made the GSC games amazing; yeah, that may sound a bit odd, but the overall feel of GSC just... blew people out of the water. Well, at least for me it did.
    definetly gotta agree with you here. i was thinking about what to post while reading the posts, and you beat me to it
    also the graphics werent as bad as RBY, but still look better to me than RSE and up IMO

Napalm

Careful! That Stuff Burns!
    Years
  • The availability of features, including full access to Kanto, as well as Red. The ability to have 16 gym badges. The Johto region was original and really fun to explore, I was really addicted to my Crystal when I was 10, couldn't stop playing!

Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2009
    Pokemon silver was the first pokemon i ever played.

i remember being a little kid playing for hours hahaha....

great thing i found my GBC today with pokemon silver with it. just everythign was perfect. :D

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2009
    I think my reason for liking GOLD the most was that it was simply the longest. I loved the fact that there was more that 8 gyms (16 in total) and that you can go to the first region. I think they should have kept that in the newer games. For example in ruby you could go to johto and so on.

Back