• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen What do YOU think made GSC so great?

IcyArceusRider

Nyaaaaa <3
    Years
    I think Crystal was so great because there were so many new features introduced, including the fact that it was the very first game in which I could choose to play as a GIRL. ^_^

I think the day/night feature was a cool thing, but perhaps that's one of the reasons why the internal batteries are all running out now! I mean, for the day/night thing to work, it had to be constantly running...but I liked Crystal version for the Battle Tower, the convenience of registering an item (that was also in G/S), the fact that they included the female playable character, and the PokeGear has got to be the best gadget for a pokemon trainer. :classic:

Sakura Rain

→Let's laugh at everything!
    Years
    There are so many great things about G/S/C. I personally love the pokemon; I think they're just as good as Kanto's pokemon. I also think the Pokegear is the best little phone/radio/map ever, and in Crystal, you could play as a GIRL. <3

The day/night feature was cool too, of course. And there were SHINIES for the first time. The whole feel of Johto made me want to keep playing it forever.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
    Part of what made the game for me is that it was almost realistic (talking in a Pokemon perspective here, lol). Particularly the downfall of Kanto. It made sense that Zapdos, Articuno, Moltres and Mewtwo no longer lived there. Making Kanto exactly the same as it was in the previous game would have been boring as hell.

Pekachoo

LOLCATS
    Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2009
    Longest storyline, definetly
    I know this is not on here, but I liked the major sprite change. I didnt see much of that in R/S/E to D/P

Heiheipig

- This is Madness? -
    Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2009
    -Kanto coming back
    -Red
    -Somewhat interesting storyline
    -Radio
    -Your mom as a human bank

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2009
    It was good because it added new pokemon, day and night, and had 16 badges, plus a few other new(at the time) things, which made the game more interesting and fun.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
    Years
    Just the plain old' joy of winning my FIRST Pokémon game EVER. :D And the great memories of the game as well, it was soo fun^^ All those memories were really great...^^ and, yes, Crystal version was the FIRST pokemon game I ever won. Great times...I really enjoyed this game a lot n.n

And Johto's overall feel was badass. I hope they'll keep that in the re-makes...lol^^

Years
    • Age 30
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 1, 2012
    Probably because it included the Kanto region, daylight savings time, shiny pokemon, and lots of other features too...

iX Billie

Land Shark
    Years
    its actully quiet good really.. the day and night system.....................................................................new team rock-WHAT! Team Rockpoo (as i like to call them) is back now thats a bad feature but...you need enemies, dont you?

Cid

Years
    GSC is THE best Pokemon game, ever. Hands down.

Because:
    1. It was my first Pokemon game. :]
    2. Kanto was explorable. :D
    3. 16 badges. Count that! SIXTEEN!
    4. The three mascot legendaries (Ho-oh, Lugia and Suicune) are present and can be caught in all versions, as compared to newer generations.
    5. Team Rocket. :O
    6. The PokeGear's radio. ^^
    7. Breeding, shiny Pokemon, plus the day and night system originated here.
    8. Your mom calls you. XD
    9. Lots of features not present in RBY/G.
    10. And many more that is already mentioned above.

So yeah, need I say more? ;D

The Hawk

Swinub fan. Because they rock!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2010
    Probably everything, GS and C we're definitely the best games.

xSeduction

Water Pokemon Fanatic
    Years
    Crystal had me at Kanto.
    Once I beat the E4 on Ruby, I started looking around for ways to get to Johto or Kanto.
    Sadly --and quite obviously-- I never found a way.
    It made me sadddd. :(

Years
    Everything made them great. Best three Pokemon games ever.

I have so many memories of growing up playing G/S/C. I was in 3rd grade at the time of the games release, and my friend Jacob and I would spend hours playing it after school. There was just so much different stuff to do, whether it was exploring, battling, training, or whatever else; the amount of depth was incredible, and still is even today.

By far, those three Pokemon games will remain my favorite in the series. I loved the R/B/Y originals, and there are plenty of cool features in the newer games of today, but G/S/C will always be the best.

GamerXtreme

Trapped Inside This Octavarium
    Years
    Oh, the good old days...
    I especially liked the fact that we had two regions to explore, Mystery Gift/Battle MG'd Trainers at Viridian's Trainer House, and the Day/Night system =))

-GX

Poke'Master24

Got my Wi-Fi Jirachi
    Years
    i feel like it was everything we could have hoped for in a sequel to the originals. just the new things, enhancements, and features were really addictive. I feel it really took advantage of coming on to the Game Boy Color. There were so many hours of gameplay in the game pack. Multiplayer was great with mystery gift, it encouraged linking up with friends. Night/Day made it all fell much more realistic. Crystal remains my all-time favorite game.

Giraffes? Giraffes!

ラヴィ・ヘッド
    Years
    What made GSC so fun for me was the enormous world, A LOT of pokemon to collect, it had Kanto, although it wasn't that great, it was great for what the gameboy was in the day. Overall, all those extra features, pokemon, the world. GSC had a lot to offer to people who enjoyed the first series :D

Years
    Gold was the first Pokemon game I've ever played/owned. I loved everything about it. I was so shocked when I knew I could go back to Kanto. Sure, it wasn't "full" like people say, but I didn't play Red version until Crystal version was out. I liked GSC's Kanto better than RBY's. I liked how they took out those things from the previous version. I didn't have RBY to compare it to yet. After playing Red/Yellow, I still liked GSC's Kanto better. Even the new looks of old gym leaders. It made them look older.

Some extra things I liked:

Day and Night-A bird for day (Pidgey/Spearow) and a bird for night (Hoothoot)
    16 badges-2 regions. No other game has that. It was awesome.
    Battle with Red. (When I first played, I didn't know about RBY, so I thought it was Ash. XD Looked just like him.)
    Radio-Pokegear- The only game that has Radio. I really liked the stations. Pokegear was my favorite gadget. It was simple, and didn't have so much junk added to it.
    Favorite Starters-Chikorita was my first ever Pokemon. Love that thing.
    Better Kanto (a lot of people said it was worse. I liked the new one much better.)
    Great battle themes-Champion theme, rival theme, etc.
    Best rival ever-he's the only rival who isn't a friend. He's cool. He stole a starter. I thought that was an awesome idea. He's the most unique rival. You felt good when you beat him. Also, it was funny when that guy at Lake of Rage says: some "____" guy made fun of my Pokemon. You could make his name a funny adjective and you would laugh. XD
    Bug catching contests-I liked this better than the Safari zone. I was able to catch a BUTTERFREE/BEEDRILL there without having to level up a Caterpie/Weedle.
    Magnet train-Favorite form of transportation. I liked it better than the boat.
    Great music. (Especially Kanto's music.) Kanto had great Gym battle music.
    Unique plot. The way it starts off is WAY different than any other Pokemon game. Liked that.
    Awesome Legendaries-Ho-oh/Lugia are amazing. Best trio. Like them more than Mewtwo.
    Gym Leaders are awesome.-Every Johto gym leader is awesome and unique. They also gave Kanto leaders makeovers. Misty has her hair down, Erika got a haircut. They made GARY(Blue) a gym leader! And they replaced Koga.
    -The only Dragon Gym Leader-Clair. She was awesome.

There are so many things I love about this game. It was my first ever Pokemon game.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    I really think what drew me to it were all the sprites. Especially the Silver sprites. <3 But the PokéGear was cool, too.

Look at this reminisce of pure awesome:
    What do YOU think made GSC so great?

If only sprites were put into cool positions like that nowadays.​

Back