• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Does it Actually Take to Be a 'Pokemon Master'

Bubbles987

Ace Trainer
Years
  • Some say it includes catching all the Pokemon, while others say you just have to beat the Elite Four.

I'd like to hear your opinions! ^ ^

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I'm guessing that to be a Pokemon Master, you have to be passionate about Pokemon and know about each Pokemon's strengths/weaknesses and also doing the above (beating the Pokemon League).

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2013
    I agree with PlatinumDude on this one (cool name btw).
    I don't think it's about catching 'em all cos if that's the case, Ash (for sake of no better example) must already have failed as he NEVER CATCHES LEGENDS. Stupid kid.
    Anyway, yeah so I think it's just about loving each Pokémon equally and knowing all about them and having the ability to battle with any given Pokémon against any given Pokémon and still being able to do so effectively.

Agdragonrider

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
    Years
  • To be a true Pokemon master,you don't actually require to catch them all. It's learning stratergies and tactics,what you're Pokemon are most capable at and not. Learning about how to counter attacks and actually being passionate about your team while also learning from mistakes.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
    Years
  • I personally think being a Pokemon Master is going to World Championships and beating everyone. Because knowing everything knowing every strategy means nothing w/o hardware. There are how many thousands of people that know the pokeverse inside and out. Only 3 people can win the whole thing in three divisions in the world. It really is more then catching them all.

Last edited:

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
  • Catching one of every Pokémon would be pretty unrealistic in the anime. I used to think it involved becoming the region's champ, but then again that's unrealistic as well. Are Gym leaders Pokémon masters? I see some of them as such, but they couldn't have beaten the league
    I guess it's just about becoming an expert trainer, being passionate toward your Pokémon, and such. That being said, the writers purposefully eluded to what the term means so people can assume what they want to assume

Bubbles987

Ace Trainer
    Years
  • Catching one of every Pokémon would be pretty unrealistic in the anime. I used to think it involved becoming the region's champ, but then again that's unrealistic as well. Are Gym leaders Pokémon masters? I see some of them as such, but they couldn't have beaten the league
    I guess it's just about becoming an expert trainer, being passionate toward your Pokémon, and such. That being said, the writers purposefully eluded to what the term means so people can assume what they want to assume

I'm with you on this. If Pokemon were real, it would be close to, if not, impossible to catch all of them.

And I suppose the Gym Leaders are, I mean, you must have to have SOME qualifications other than being strong to become one.
    I just saw people talking about this on another site and thought it would make a good discussion ;)

Minato Arisato

Memento mori...
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2016
    It's never been stated directly by the anime or games. In the games, the most you ever become is the champion of a region. Maybe that's being a master...? I don't know.

I'm pretty sure that the creator left that up to interpretation.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • If we're going by PokeSpecial universe of Pokemon as well, then a champion/Pokemon master also has social responsibilities. Steven led the Elite 4s and the gym leaders to deal with the worldwide catastrophe by Kyore and Groudon for example, and future leaders/champions in the series tend to do that as well. Even gym leaders do, on top of their duties to accept challenges and actually maintain a real job outside of being a gym leader on top of it all.

Years
  • I also agree with PlatinumDude. To become a Pokemon Master, one must understand all strengths and weaknesses, learn all the tactics and beat the Pokemon League.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
    Years
  • Accomplish everything than can be accomplished. that seems like a straight answer, Capture all pokemon, defeat the elite four and frontier brains

93Aiwass

Getting Back into Pokemon
    Years
  • Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

I think it's having enough knowledge about Pokemon to be able to build a great team and to understand how to evolve and breed Pokemon to... build the best team you can. It requires a great deal of knowledge of movesets, breeding, evolution and of course, strategic thinking so you can figure out how to battle against another trainer - either in game, over wi-fi or in person - whose team you're unaware of.

Love is the Law, Love under Will.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    For me, a Pokemon Master is someone who is not only skilled in battle strategies, tactics, and a Champion, but who simultaneously has completed (excluding those elusive Mirage Pokemon) the PokeDex. They should also be skilled in other areas of Pokemon "life" as well, such as Contests and Musicals.

So basically, a person who has leveled up their Trainer Card to the final color is someone I'd consider to be a Pokemon Master! (In the games at least. In the anime it's a bit more difficult to tell!)

Sirfetch’d

For me a Pokemon Master is someone who understands and bonds with Pokemon. Someone who has mastered battling and won the Pokemon League. It is someone who can effectively use all Pokemon and has mastered all 17 types. It is someone who uses Pokemon for good and not evil. A Master is also someone who helps other achieve their goals and teaches them the strategics of battling. IMO, you can't be a Master until you fill all of the listed needs.

Years
  • To be unbeatable I'd say, have the best team, be able to travel for days without needing a pokécentre and to have the perfect party members.

Once you've done that your then a Pokémon Master.

Years
  • It's a university course, you actually need to attain a masters degree in the subject of Pokemon, but has evolved into slang. When you have your masters degree in Pokemon it's easier to call you a Pokemon master.

One method is hard study, you can go to Pokeversity and have a purely academic qualification, like those in that go to Pokeschool, or you can do the Ash Ketchum method and travel, obtaining badges and defeating the Elite 4 of multiple regions, which seems to be preferred.

93Aiwass

Getting Back into Pokemon
    Years
  • It's a university course, you actually need to attain a masters degree in the subject of Pokemon, but has evolved into slang. When you have your masters degree in Pokemon it's easier to call you a Pokemon master.

One method is hard study, you can go to Pokeversity and have a purely academic qualification, like those in that go to Pokeschool, or you can do the Ash Ketchum method and travel, obtaining badges and defeating the Elite 4 of multiple regions, which seems to be preferred.

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

So, ergo...

• B.Sc - Pokemon Trainer
    • M.S. - Pokemon Master
    • Ph.D - Pokemon Professor

:cheeky:

Love is the Law, Love under Will.

Back