• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Got You Into Pokemon?

swift13

taylur swift
Years
  • i just randomly watched a tv cartoon channel thing and it was on pokemon. then i saw pikachu and thought it was v cute so yeah

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
    Years
  • In short, the anime. First episode was with the Grass gym leader in Kanto. Who is that, Erika?

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • It pretty much has to do with the Super Smash Bros. series and Chugga. I liked using Pikachu in all three games and eventually I saw Chugga's Pokemon FireRed LP and was quite impressed, so I tried it and the game was awesome. This is how I got into Pokemon.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I got into Pokémon about 13 years ago, when I first watched the anime on television. My love for Pokémon grew even bigger when my parents gave me Pokémon Blue as a christmas present. I've played this game for months. Once I've completed the story, I kept restarting the game so that I could play it all over again. Pokémon was the most popular thing to talk about in school back then, and thanks to that, I was able to make a lot of friends. I'm still in contact with a few of these friends today.

Last edited:

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
    Years
  • I can't remember which I started first, but I found the anime and the games at around the same time (when I was about 4). I watched every episode religiously and the only game I would ever play was Pokémon Blue :P From there I just kept watching and kept playing, and haven't "grown out" of it yet, and I doubt I ever will.

Years
  • It was the anime for me - I started watching it at age four, after coming across it by chance on TV. Something about it captured my attention like nothing else, and it hasn't stopped since.

Years
  • I got into Pokemon after my older cousin gave me his GameBoy Color and a copy of Pokemon Gold. I was younger, and the game didn't save ( I have now found a place that will fix it :D), but I immediately fell in love with the characters, especially the pokemon Totodile. One of my other cousins later on gave me his copy of Leaf Green (since he had Fire Red) and I was hooked. At one point, I had a friend whose mom tried to convince my mom that Pokemon was evil and to ban me from playing it, but fortunately, Mom wasn't that over-protective and I continue to love the games, the show, and the manga to this day.

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
    Years
  • I got into it one Christmas when my great grandmother brought red for little my sister since she was the one who owned a game boy at the time ( this had to be like 1998 ) can't remember I just remember my sister being too young to understand pokemon so she never played it but I borrowed to play the game once and the rest is history. Honerable mentions go to the first eevee pokemon card since I owned it before I even knew what pokemon were my mother found it and gave it to me

*Icecold*

Bow down to Queen Meowstic
    Years
  • I was a young little sapling, living life normally. One day at recess, I made a decision that changed my life.

It was the year of Generation 4. I spotted a group of boys crowded around a book with many colorful creatures. I remember being very intrigued by the pictures.

One day, at the store with my father and sister I spotted a sticker book with Pokémon in it. I recognized a lot of them! And my love for the series grew rapidly...

My first Pokémon game was Pokémon Blue Rescue Team. And I loved it. Then I received Platinum for the DSI I had gotten for my birthday. And I adored it.

Jack the overleved Torterra, Octillery, Honchkrow and (shiny) Empoleon who I receive over Wi-Fi, Thunder the Raichu and Ismeal the Espeon was my team! We never did beat the league, but it was so awesome...

BlueEspeon

Banned
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jan 24, 2014
    Grade, 1st grade.
    For learning how to tie my shoes, my parents got me my first Pokémon game. Pokémon Diamond.

And It changed mah life forever. (For the better)

Oh yeah, my first Pokemon starter was Torterra.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2014
    I got my first gameboy (9 or 10, cant recall exact) with pokemon red. From there, its all history.

reniersnyder

The Glaceon Girl
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 26, 2018
    I really don't remember how i got into it. Maybe my older brother introduced me to it.

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2021
    This question never quite occurred to me.

I sort of just.. well, started playing Pokemon when I was in 1st Grade in Elementary school. I started to watch the Pokemon Anime as well, and I really just wanted to play more. So I asked a bunch of my parents' students (they're teachers) if I could have some more Pokemon toys/stuff/games. And they gave me some! I got to play Pokemon FireRed, and Ruby after that. Then, I finally got the Pokemon Diamond & Pearl Games; which I loved a lot!

So then about a few years after that, I got Pokemon Black & White, and then Black & White 2. So now we're here! :)

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Sadly I wasn't even a thought when Pokemon first came out I wasn't introduced to it like a lot of you. I got introduced to it when I was at my mom's friends house and her daughter had Pokemon Emerald. We traded games (she gave me Emerald, I gave her some Tony Hawk game) and I just started playing. I knew about it before because my brother had crystal and I wasn't allowed to watch it or play because my overly religious mom thought it was Satanic xD. Well now I still play even though it's been like 7 years and my mom learned to just deal with it :)

Years
    • MA
    • Seen Sep 2, 2013
    Christmas of 1998, got myself a Pokemon blue version with a special pikachu edition Game Boy Color. Still own both of them and they are both in great condition. Still replace the blue battery time from time when it dies out, love it.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I first know it by reading the article about it on magazine, and I started to watch it when my cousin is watching the anime via VCD, that's how I started to watch Pokemon. However, it is on Generation 3 that I started to play Pokemon though.

Nakala Pri

Almost two years ago, I went through my big brothers old Pokemon stuff, which held board games, cards, books, all most everything. So then it hit me, why not pick up where he left off? Become the best of them all! So then I asked for games, figurines and as you all know, join PokeCommunity. I just love Pokemon so much and I am so glad it exists! <3

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I remember watching the first season of the dubbed anime reruns on the television...and that's basically when the magic started ;D

pokefan648

< I ate your giant meatball :3
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2014
    when i was around 7 i started to watch it. i really liked but i started to lose interest, mainly because pokemon came on less and less on cartoon network. a few years later, i was looking in my grandmother's collection of old nintendo stuff (she has a working nes snes and n64) and i found the orignal gameboy. i took pokemon as one of the 3 games. i fixed up the orignal gameboy and it worked for a while. it eventually quit working due to corosion damage on the main board. so i played pokemon blue on my blue gameboy advance sp and enjoyed pokemon so i started watching the series online. so now im a big pokemon fan! sorry if i have bored you with my long story but this is how it went!

Back