• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What happened to the old simple Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weatherman Kiyoshi

~Having one of THOSE days
    Years
    I'm keeping an open mind about the Fifth Gen.

The first generation was great, it's the reason why we're here.

The second generation not only improved the first, but it made more Pokemon to love and enjoy so you wouldn't get tired of the old ones.

The third Generation was risky, Pulling away the first and second generation regions from the game and putting in all new Pokemon was extremely risky. But, they pulled it off.

The fourth generation brought in new ideas, and some Pokemon are fantastic! Chatot, Buizel, etc. there are new cute Pokemon and new stronger Pokemon. Sure, some are duds (yes, I'm looking at you, Magmortar).

The fifth generation is only trying to add more ideas without restraint. Sarcophagus? Never before seen. Floating gears? okay, interesting. A Pokemon that can be an illusion in battle? awesome.

As much as I love the old Pokemon (OMG JOHTO IS FOR LUVERS <3), we have to keep an open mind about newer generations. When they start creating pokemon based off of cans of tuna, then we can start complaining.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    I'm keeping an open mind about the Fifth Gen.

The first generation was great, it's the reason why we're here.

The second generation not only improved the first, but it made more Pokemon to love and enjoy so you wouldn't get tired of the old ones.

The third Generation was risky, Pulling away the first and second generation regions from the game and putting in all new Pokemon was extremely risky. But, they pulled it off.

The fourth generation brought in new ideas, and some Pokemon are fantastic! Chatot, Buizel, etc. there are new cute Pokemon and new stronger Pokemon. Sure, some are duds (yes, I'm looking at you, Magmortar).

The fifth generation is only trying to add more ideas without restraint. Sarcophagus? Never before seen. Floating gears? okay, interesting. A Pokemon that can be an illusion in battle? awesome.

As much as I love the old Pokemon (OMG JOHTO IS FOR LUVERS <3), we have to keep an open mind about newer generations. When they start creating pokemon based off of cans of tuna, then we can start complaining.

Haha. Indeed. I think what everyone can reasonably hope for is that Gamefreak don't make a Pokedex consisting only of outlandish Pokemon. Instead I think we all hope that the Pokedex has a bunch of more simple, realistic Pokemon - like Chiramii or Pokabu - as well as a bunch of less realistic, "new-style" Pokemon, like Munna or the blue-red spikey thing in the recent reveals.

That way everyone wins! After all, surely no-one can realistically expect to love every single one of the Pokemon in a new Pokedex. God knows I don't like a number of Pokemon in the Kanto, Johto, Hoenn OR Sinnoh Pokedex. The beauty of the game, though, is that I don't have to use them, and there's always - ALWAYS - plenty that I do like.

Sage Harpuia

Hey, listen
    Years
    Haha. Indeed. I think what everyone can reasonably hope for is that Gamefreak don't make a Pokedex consisting only of outlandish Pokemon. Instead I think we all hope that the Pokedex has a bunch of more simple, realistic Pokemon - like Chiramii or Pokabu - as well as a bunch of less realistic, "new-style" Pokemon, like Munna or the blue-red spikey thing in the recent reveals.

That way everyone wins! After all, surely no-one can realistically expect to love every single one of the Pokemon in a new Pokedex. God knows I don't like a number of Pokemon in the Kanto, Johto, Hoenn OR Sinnoh Pokedex. The beauty of the game, though, is that I don't have to use them, and there's always - ALWAYS - plenty that I do like.

GOD-I love this post-finally someone that has centred the point: pokemon is awesom because it allow the player a wide amount of customization and choice: there are pokemon for every person, so it's natural that you don't like someone of them, but the great thing is that you can catch only who you want, evolve if you want...and so on.
    So all the discussion on pokemon aspect are-in fact-useless.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    Well, basicly this thread is just a cry of irritation as once again it seems that the new Pokemon will be exaggerated with random objects and signs infiltrated in their being/body(whatever you call it). I have seen the new pokemon starters and legendarys and find them together with the 4th generation massivly exaggerated and too "fancy". The reason I like Pokemon, is mainly because of the 1st and 2nd generation who had simple pokemon with no "ultra"-shields and random trees on their back. There are of course some exceptions in the 4th generation, but they are rare. Pokemon is getting uglier every generation.

While I disagree with "pokemon is getting uglier every generation" (I'd say gen 1 to gen 2 transition was pretty smooth) I have to agree and am very happy to see another here who thinks the newest pokemon look terrible.

I looked at some of the recently revealed gen 5 pokemon and I am not exaggerating I felt a little sick. Just because it was too much fancy and well, perhaps it's just nostalgia but I feel that the new pokemon look so inorganic and overdone.

To the above post: I agree, but in this case you can see quite clearly that the themes are, as the OP stated, just assimilating a bunch of objects and signs and shapes to make their pokemon more fancy. Pokemon are no longer creatures, animal-like monsters, but are now more like just plain old monsters minus the creature animal part.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2010
    I remember the days when there was no such thing as EVs, IVs, Natures, or even Shiny Pokemon. Ahh those were the good old days of simple Pokemon.
    i was insulted by a bunch of people when i said this once.

wtf lol

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    Ludicolo is a kappa.
    Hariyama is a sumo wrestler.
    NOT mexican wrestlers.

I would have sworn blind that the Ludicolo family was based on Mexican stereotypes. D: Huh. You learn something new every day.

Mewtwo said:
    I remember the days when there was no such thing as EVs, IVs, Natures, or even Shiny Pokemon. Ahh those were the good old days of simple Pokemon.

I agree. I am constantly being told that I am an inferior player because I don't care about EV's or IV's or Natures. But when I then say "but Pokémon was never meant to be about maths..." people jump on me for telling others how to play. MADNESS.

Bamboo Basara

Pokemon Historian
    Years
    I'm still a little confused about what is so complex about these new Pokemon. They all look pretty simple to me.
    I don't know what everyone is freaking out about. I think Game Freak's new ideas are great, I've been waiting for an ancient Egypt based Pokemon for a long time.
    The old Pokemon are nice and so are the new ones. I don't think you guys realize just how boring another generation of the exact same Pokemon and ideas would be. You're demanding that Pokemon never progresses.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    I'm still a little confused about what is so complex about these new Pokemon.

Maybe "complex" isn't the right word, more like unnatural. Look at Munna, Hihiraduma, Mijumaru, Palkia Zekrom, or the trio of unnamed uglies. Could you imagine any of them existing in any kind of ecosystem? Then others like Ononokusu just have too many ideas going on at the same time. it just seems like there's a higher percentage of them in each generation.

I don't know what everyone is freaking out about. I think Game Freak's new ideas are great, I've been waiting for an ancient Egypt based Pokemon for a long time.

I like the idea of the Sarcophagus, though I cannot judge it properly from just a backsprite. It's just some of the other ones I really dislike.

The old Pokemon are nice and so are the new ones. I don't think you guys realize just how boring another generation of the exact same Pokemon and ideas would be. You're demanding that Pokemon never progresses.

No, we're not. You can do new things while still keeping to the original style. The problem is that GF is doing repeats of the same old things (eg. Mamepidgey), while shifting heavily away from the naturalistic style.

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    lololol'

really, if you want to play the same game over and over again. go get your gameboy or your emulators or something, and play Red and blue

I love how every time a new game comes out, the fandom complains about the change
    Not that it matters
    guys are still gonna buy the game anyways n_n

I for one am looking forward to the new games.
    I loved Gen 4, gen 5 will be just as, if not better o3o

also. who says pokemon are supposed to be simplistic and look like regular animals
    they're Pocket MONSTERS for crying out loud o_o;;
    they can be as crazy looking as they want :U

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    What happened to the old simple Pokemon?
    What happened to the old simple Pokemon?

Rhydon evolved to Rhyperior to be better at battling. He gained massive amounts of armor, which made him a HUGE and destructive battling machine/rock monster thing! In a world where pokemon are used mainly for battle, it makes sense that Rhydon would need more body armor to compete in more battles.

If you think it "destroyed" pokemon you aren't open to change and/or you aren't aware that pokemon is a battling game.
    You're kidding me, right? Of all first gen pokemon, you think Rhydon needed an evolution? Rhydon was the most bulky first gen Pokemon there was, minus maybe Golem and Snorlax. Rhydon is made of rock, like hell it would have needed armour.

Electivire is useless. I prefer Elekid and Electabuzz. Magmortar I don't actually mind. Gliscor is a quite efficient as well, but Rhyperior was not needed.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
    You're kidding me, right? Of all first gen pokemon, you think Rhydon needed an evolution? Rhydon was the most bulky first gen Pokemon there was, minus maybe Golem and Snorlax. Rhydon is made of rock, like hell it would have needed armour.

Electivire is useless. I prefer Elekid and Electabuzz. Magmortar I don't actually mind. Gliscor is a quite efficient as well, but Rhyperior was not needed.

Well, that was YOUR's opinion oui?
    Not everyone have the same opinions.
    For one, I like Electrivire more than Magmortar, but does it means me disliking it, they'll strike it off the list? Nayy.

Complains are getting nowhere nowadays.

^ THIS.

You can't just please everyone.

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
    Ultimately people will take what they see as the worst thing about an announcement and make a sweeping generalization over the entire generation, leading them to scream "This looks stupid!", "This isn't Pokémon!" and "I will not buy it!".
    This leaves them looking awfully silly when it releases and they lap it up like they always do.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I agree with you. The first two seasons for me was good enough. Third was ok, fourth was pushing it a little and now 5th?? It may be going overboard :/

Alyssachu

Trainer in training! ;D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 15, 2012
    They turned badass, and I have no problem with it. :]
    It's not that big of a deal to me.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016

Well, Rhydon's base stat total was 485, which is hardly spectacular, whereas Rhyperior's is 535, far more competitive. By all means complain that Rhyperior looks silly - let's face it, he does look a bit daft, certainly not as good as Rhydon - but you can't really say he didn't warrant an evolution, because his stats were such that they made him a bit of a waste of time, competitively at least.

Similarly Electabuzz got a bump from a decent 490 BST up to an impressive 540, as did Magmar. And Gligar had a paltry 430 BST, whereas Gliscor has a much more impressive 510.

I guess it's easy for me to concentrate on how their stats make the evolution worthwhile though, because I happen to think that Gliscor, Electivire and Magmortar all look better than their respective pre-evolutions.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back