• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What happened to the old simple Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2010
    I also agree. Look at all the legendaries now. All fancy and upgraded. Remeber Mew. He is a legendary and has simple looks.

Omn

Moogle King
    Years
  • I despise every single legendary after third gen cause they became so complicated and then they began to give a story on how they helped create the pokemon world and then they come out with the pokemon god arceus pokemon was never supposed to have a god its just makes me so mad

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2014
    The reason why most of us think this is simply because we've grown up,and that the pokemon now arn't like the pokemon we had back then.

Nikorasu

Shut down the devil sound
    Years
  • Ok, ok i know my writing wasn't good but the comic was. But seriously, every legendary has a storyline, Rotom has that one about wanting to take over the world so killed those two people (Thats just a rumour i think, don't know.) Arceus has that egg story and created the world and everything. Yawn cba.

I hope B/W are better then the last game.

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2024
    My take is that the first and second generations were the best. I like the 2nd generation Pokémon a bit more (the whole 2nd gen, actually), but only a little bit, just because the first generation seemed just a little bit too simple, but it was still great. I personally enjoyed the third generation, and yes, I can see people's point about how it escalated... but I don't think it was that bad. In fact, Pokémon Ruby Version was my favorite game for years. 4th generation went way over the top. I actually loved it all at first. But then I looked back at everything else and thought "come on, this isn't like the Pokémon I know!" To me, 5th generation doesn't seem really bad actually. I think it will be interesting to see what will come in the future.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    The stupid is strong in this thread.

I'm glad that the simplicity is gone. I cannot emphasize enough how stupid a design Muk and Koffing was. I'd rather have a badass poison dart frog than a blue turtle. All generations had their good and bad pokemon. If you took your nostalgia glasses off, you would see that instead of mindlessly jumping on the hate bandwagon.
    UGH i hate the new generations. Everything is bad about them, their pokemon, storylines, how many ****ing legendaries they have to have. :\
    I'm just wondering how the last part was ever a valid argument. Can anyone please explain?

Years
  • all i have to say is if you're complaining so much about the pokemon and how much you hate it, then stop playing the games, otherwise you're just being a hypocrite

He's just expressing his thoughts on the new generation. No need to be so negative. As you can tell, MANY people feel the same way, including me.

MagitekElite

FFFFUUUUU
    Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2013
    I miss everything that use to be Pokemon. The better Pokemon, the designs, the style, the music...everything.

Before Ash became a pimp and switched women and Pokemon around like clothes *sigh*

I wish it would go back to the simple times. :c

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2016
    Yeah, Dodrio gains an extra head, Ekans and Arbok is just snake and Kobra backwards. I only thought a few Gen I pokemon were creative tbh, most were just animals recolored or objects.

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
  • Pidgey = Standard Bird.

Voltorb evolves into a version of itself with the color's flipped around. Voltorb is basically a Pokemon based off a Pokeball.

Seel is a seal. -_-

And you guys said that the simpler Pokemon of the early gens were better, pshh. They are classic, however, because they started the Pokemon phenomenon.

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
  • I think the simplicity of the old gens is what made them appealing. Complexity and simplicity are both appealing, but only to a point. The motif of simplicity can only go so far until the designs start getting more elaborate.

I personally think a prescribed change with an equal amount of the norm left (for nostalgic purposes), is great. It's a hit or miss affair. Not all the new pokes will be beautiful. It's all good, and none of us should really take it that seriously. If you truely despise the new designs, then don't buy the games. Simple as that:)

(I will harp on all of you dissing the old gens on the tense of "o it's just a magnet, a mole, etc". I loved that magnet foo'. That magnet is the grandaddy of your beloved steel pokes!:D)

Becki

Pc will never be the same.....
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Mar 24, 2018
    i have to agree, they should add changes to the game yes, but simplicity in the designs of new pokemon would be much better. It looks as if to me for gen 5 it will be as bad or worse as gen 4. Bring back the old style of 1 and 2!

`MorningSun

Blahblahblah...
    Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2015
    I don't really mind the style of it just as long as its not to complex. As most people are saying simplicity I guess. Nothing TOO simple but nothing TOO complex.

Bamboo Basara

Pokemon Historian
    Years
  • I'm just happy they're finally getting creative. Gen 1 and 2 had some real duds in the creativity department. Pidgey, Persian, Diglett, Dugtrio, Seel, Krabby, Kingler, Grimer, Muk, Voltorb, Ekans, Arbok, Electrode, Exeggucute, Ledyba are some prime examples. Most of them are real life creatures with some very, very minute distortions.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2019
    I don't really care how unoriginal 1st Gen was, it's just IT, you can't leave them out of anything. Also, 2nd Gen didn't have a lot of new Pokemon. 3rd Gen was the most creative. 4th Gen... was interesting, but still typical. Black & White is just TOO FAR. :(

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back