• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What if the Pokémon had more than 4 moves in game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fraot

Researcher & Game Developer
Years
  • 'Sup? Fraot here.

It's been a long time since created a thread here. And now I'm wondering what do you think of:

Pokémon having more than 4 moves? Like 5 or 6 or even 7.

I just wanna know what do you think. I've been thinking about it and came to the conclusion that the strategies would change A LOT if that happened.

You know, right now, the 4-move strategy allows the user to be creative and very tactical by chosing the pretty limited amount of 4 moves from the 20+ the pokémon had learned.

Suddenly, I thought about the game being easier with 6 moves. But, it also implies that the opponents will have them as well. So, it could also be harder.

What do you think?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Either way, it would go here since it's a discussion on Pokemon games. Not only that, but in your first post, you didn't specifically say "I'm asking this cause I'm making a game and want to know what others think." I think it's an interesting discussion, and from peoples' opinions, you can use that for your game. With that in mind, anyone else that posts here, please keep the discussion at hand in mind and let's not wander off into game development discussion...otherwise Cilerba moving it here would have been useless, lol.

Kyoto

Hai, wanna pair? ^^
    Years
    • Seen May 2, 2011
    I say the max should be five. Seven would be a ridiculous number.

Ex: I have just started Black and I have a Cottonee that knows: Growth, Mega Drain, Stun Spore, and Leech Seed.

The weak spot in this Pocket Monster is the lacking big damage move. It would definitely be effective against Water and Ground, but other than that it doesn't have much power.

The point is that giving another move may unbalance the game in a sense of strategy of covering up weaknesses with strengths.

This is my personal opinion. :P

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Increasing the move limit 5 or 6 moves would be great to alleviate the 4-moveslot syndrome that some Pokemon suffer, like Forretress. I still see a reason that 4 moves is the limit because if the move limit increased, then some Pokemon, like Tyranitar, would be almost hard to stop.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • With critters with diverse movepools, I can see an extra slot being kind of useful to cover as many bases as possible; with critters with limited movepools, it becomes less needed, so to speak. Maybe a few stat change moves could be nice, but an extra slot or two isn't really going to help if there's nothing to put there, so to speak.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • To be honest, I don't think having more than 4 moves for a Pokemon would really work out too well. Sure you've got your really strong Pokemon which can really use all those moves, such as Tyranitar and Masquerain, but then you've also got those Pokemon which are lacking decent moves to just be able to use, such as Klinklang and Unfezant. Also having more moves just changes the metagame completely, making the game so much harder to play since there'd be more predictability for one to master.

Although, if they were to add an extra slot onto Pokemon for a field move, which couldn't be used in battle, and only in the field, I think I'd be cool with that. :)

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    It depends on how diverse the Pokemon's movepools are. If they are able to learn a ton of different moves by level up, then this would probably be more useful than if conditions were otherwise.

Fraot

Researcher & Game Developer
    Years
  • Well, I think the game would mantain a "balance". I mean, the game can be easier FOR YOU, since you have more moves. But the easyness would be nullified with the other pokémon.

As you said, Tyranitar would be a god of destruction, but it could also be pwned by a Starmie, a Machamp or a Heracross.

I think everybody would be including Protect and Endure for the extra 2 moves, lol. I'd do that.

Not only that, but in your first post, you didn't specifically say "I'm asking this cause I'm making a game and want to know what others think."

You're right, but I was expecting for someone to ask me why did I submit the thread and then, say why I did it.
    My bad... :C

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    It can work well, if they rework the PP system first so 6 moves wouldn't be imbalance or overpowered for some pokemon that can learn many strong moves at once

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I'd say four or five moves, plus an extra optional slot for an HM move or two would be fine. Give the option for too many moves, and the balance of the game can be thrown off. I'm hesitant to even say five "non-HM" moves, but something about those HMs needs to be done for those of us who like to use a full team of six Pokemon without HM slaves...

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
  • To be honest, it probably wouldnt change much. I mean, if only you got say six or seven moves, and your opponents didnt, then yeah, it would change the game play quite a bit. I mean, one pokemon could have access to a few moves with different types, being able to effectively take on almost any pokemon does sound kinda sweet, but too easy. Now, if your opponent also had six or seven moves, it would still give you access to more types of moves, but with your opponent having it as well would sort of balance it out. All in all, it would make the game only slightly easier, and maybe more boring, though interesting to see it tested out. Maybe with some drawbacks like making you only able to have up to three different types of attacks, or able to use only one type of attack three times per battle..Or some kind of drawback that makes it less overpowered. It would sure make for a bunch for strategies while playing, and a lot of people who donts usually bother with stat enhancing moves like Quiver Dance (I actually kept it on mah Volcarona though..) would add in one to help out. But im perfectly fine with four moves, its more than enough ^_^.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • An extra move would be perfect, but for an HM move only. Using that extra slot for another move would be too much for a Pokemon to handle.

Years
  • I think it would be pretty cool if they have more than 4 moves, but it wouldn't work out well probably.

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
  • I disagree with the whole concept of a move limit. First of all, it is unrealistic and silly. Did any of you forget how to perform multiplication when you were taught how to solve second degree equations? Doubt it.
    The point about some pokemon getting way overpowered is mostly invalid. I mean, chances are you won't run out of PPs when battling some other game owner, the only place where they could be a bit abused would be when fighting the elite four and the champion, but that could be balanced out in other ways. The 4-move limit is annoying, and in my opinion should not exist.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I think Pokemon should have a maximum of four moves, PLUS anything you teach it with an HM. HMs are the bane of a Poke-existence, and this would remove that handicap.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back