• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is a friend?

Winter Wonderland

Puts the fun in dysfunctional
Years
  • Today, while babysitting my neighbor's kid, he comes up to me with a rather sad look in his eye and asks me "What's a friend?" I looked back at him and, without much thought, said "Well, it's someone you like, who likes you back and you're nice to each other. Not like a girlfriend though. Just someone you like to be around and play with." He paused for a moment and then said "Then friends are always supposed to be happy. So, how come my friends hurt my feelings? That doesn't sound like a friend. So I have no friends unless friend means something else." Then I thought about it a little deeper; what exactly IS a friend? To me, it's someone who's there to help you when you need help and you have a mutual fondness of each other. But, I don't think it can be that black and white. Why do friends hurt each other? This kid has asked me by far the most difficult question I've ever been asked. So, I thought I'd ask you guys. What, to you, is a friend?

Dirk

Prince of Heart
    Years
  • A friend is somebody who you get along with, who you trust, and generally have a good time with. If you don't enjoy being with somebody, or they hurt you, emotionally of physically, even without realising it, they're not your friend.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I'm in the same boat as the kid. Sometimes I think I know, but...I guess I just don't anymore.

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • Ah... A friend is someone with mutual respect and mutual enjoyment of each other's company...

That's how I see it at it's root, but it is much more complex if you really want to look at it.

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • Well, a friend is not only the above, they are someone who you can trust, and if they somehow betray that trust will attempt to make it up to you. They are someone that you not only enjoy the company of, but genuinely care for, this is mutual of course... They are closer than a brother, and they probably know you better despite not being related. They are someone who if they are in trouble, you would go out of your way to help them out, and the same applies the other way around. A friend is someone you can disclose anything to, and they will not judge you on it because they already know you enough that it honestly doesn't matter. They are people that embrace your quirks, and help you along. They are people that can give you brutally honest answers and you not take it the wrong way... A friend is a teacher, and a friend is a loyal student... They are people that are more than just "people" to you.

The more of the above you can say about a person, the more of a friend they are... But the depth comes from where all of the above originated from.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    A friend is someone you get along with. They might not agree with you on all accounts, but chances are you have certain things in common, be it hobbies, interests or points of view. A friend is trustworthy and dependable. A friend has you in mind when you most need it, and expects the same for themselves.

But I think what most defines a friend is someone who you don't constantly have to talk to. A friendship is at its strongest when it's withheld through periods of inexistence.

MerindaBee

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    As you said, friend is someone we like, and who likes us back. And I would say, obviously friend can hurt us, if I go in a wrong direction and also the friend should be there always when I fall into troubles. Finally a friend is not only for fun but also to wipe our tears.

Years
  • We all have our own opinions of what a friend is, but to me, the most important quality a friend has to have is loyalty. Someone who will be there for you when you need them. A person who will have your back no matter the situation.

A friend is honest. Someone who will tell you when you're being an idiot or making a fool out of yourself. Someone who will respect your opinions, even if he/she disagrees. You need to be able to trust what your friend says is true.

To be honest, I don't have a lot of friends, maybe 5 or so. Maybe it's because I'm too picky in the qualities I seek in others. Either way, I don't care. I know that my friends will always be there for me.

Also, friendship is a two-way street. If you want your friends to act a certain way, you need to be willing to put forth the effort to do the same for them.

NeoPsychedelia

Admiral of the Pokéfleet
    Years
  • A friend to me is someone with not only a mutual interest in hobbies, but also a mutual interest in helping one another. Friends are designed to improve themselves using each other as support.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • He paused for a moment and then said "Then friends are always supposed to be happy. So, how come my friends hurt my feelings? That doesn't sound like a friend. So I have no friends unless friend means something else."
    Nevermind the question for this thread, just awwwww :( That made me sad. Poor kid.

YungKnowledge

Kigo & Jori Shipper
    Years
  • a friend, is the person who you love to hang out with and understands you. And you understand them. You might fight with them but you guys can easily make up with. You guys might not agree on everything but you got each other backs.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
  • I tend to pick my friends carefully in real life. In the general meaning of 'friend', I have hundreds of those... in my comprehension of 'friends' however, I have like 5. Let me pull up some pics.
    Spoiler:

So you can count 5 I suppose, and me makes 6. These are not just people I call friends. These are people that I would sacrifice my life for, and I know they'd do the same. These are people who have done things I couldn't imagine, to get me out of trouble. These are people that I can trust with a million dollars, and be 100% sure they wouldn't take a dime... These are like brothers to me. We spend all of our time together. It's not the type of relationship where I know each of them, and they don't know each other. No, we all know each other. We're what you would call a pack. They're nice and modest people, who I've never seen bully anyone, act superior to anyone, or even make fun of anyone. These are the type of people I call friends.

So yeah, that's what a friend is to me. Oh, and they ALL know I love Pokemon, and one of them is a member here...

RudeStyle

Artangels
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 17, 2016
    A Friend is someone you can trust, Someone who is Understanding.
    Someone who is caring.
    They don't make fun of you to make themselves look cool or just to be spiteful.
    A friend will always be there.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    A friend is someone who you can trust, and a one that isn't gonna stab you in the back. Also, it's someone who you can get along well with and understands you.

Back