• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is with all the hate for the 4th generation?

Ayselipera

I find a lot of people are complaining about Heatran in this thread, whilte I too thought that DPPt had too many legendaries I think Heatran deserves to be cut some slack. I think Heatran is, like Cresselia and Darkrai, is just a sufferer from horrible circumstance. Besides the pixies and Dialga/Palkia, Heatran actually had the biggest plot point. In fact he gave us something to do post Elite 4. The problem is: We just finished climbing a stupid mountain, who wants to do it again, and twice!? No one, if they had saved Heatran's protector of the Volcano plot for another game I think he would have been way better recieved.

If Heatran had some sort of part in another game, like you said, I would probably come around to it more. A volcano protector Pokemon being the main part of a game would of been really interesting. Heatran had a bit of a plot, but it's just that anything that's thrown in after the main part of the game seems less important to me. I take it as more of, "Well you can do it if you want, but you don't really need to."

I agree, the fact that you had to climb the mountain again just to go capture it was a big pain. That probably adds to the reason why I can't stand Heatran at all. xD

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
  • If Heatran had some sort of part in another game, like you said, I would probably come around to it more. A volcano protector Pokemon being the main part of a game would of been really interesting. Heatran had a bit of a plot, but it's just that anything that's thrown in after the main part of the game seems less important to me. I take it as more of, "Well you can do it if you want, but you don't really need to."

I agree, the fact that you had to climb the mountain again just to go capture it was a big pain. That probably adds to the reason why I can't stand Heatran at all. xD

Exactly! Heatran isn't a bad concept he just got royally screwed by the game developers! The whole mountain was weirdly developped, and if you're like me and try to battle every trainer it was freaking confusing to boot. And he had some backstory...they should have saved him for later and bumped up the Cresselia-Darkrai plot like you said earlier! Silly GameFreak. :P

Abyssumi

Future Legends Z-A Mod
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Sinnoh suffers from the fact that it was a great concept was was poorly executed. All the areas in it that had potential to be amazing (the main plot, Mt.Coronet, the legends) just didn't work out right and that meant what could have been the best generation so far is really just a "meh" region.

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2014
    Wow. I never knew anyone took the games this seriously. Analyzing them, making points as to why they hate them. I thought D/P/Pt were good games. Did I love them? No, but they were still fun to play, I thought so anyways. Maybe Platinum could have been better, I mean to me it was essentially Diamond/Peral with a new 'world'(an annoying, new, world ><), but I liked it none-the-less. I never had to grind my Pokemon, in any of the 3 games, any grinding was done by choice. They didn't feel slow to me(okay, surf was slow xD),they felt long, which was okay by me. Its all a matter of perception, like people say. Years from now, (when all Pokmeon games will probably be based off of places in the US and the list of animals to convert into Pokemon is wearing down)I'm sure some of you very people who are saying that Gen. 4 down right sucked will be begging for a remake of it.

Germaniac

Victoria Concordia Crescit
    Years
  • My plus and minus
    +Good game
    +Strong Pokemons

-Slow Game
    -Bad looking Pokemons (some)
    -Boring Game

My fav games was GSC, I even like it more than HGSS, I don't know why, but my feeling is so happy when play it, maybe because nostalgia? It's why I really liked GB/C hack, I also liked classic musics, I was very happy when I'm a kid that haven't school, I want to go back to that time :'(

SamuraiMaster

and his son, Layne (Buizel).
    Years
  • It's not just generation 4 dude.

I got pokemon from every generation I think never should have been thought of, but my fav pokemon is Buizel....gen 4.

If I had to choose a generation I wouldn't like over anything, it would probably actually be gen 5. The starters look to weird for me, but I'll probably still buy B&W.

I will say however on some levels, Bidoof is kinda stupid. His character was cool in Mystery Dungeon, but as a pokemon, he just isn't there.....

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • The good:
    -Physical/ Special Split
    -Cool sprites the in battle ones I mean.
    -New moves

The bad
    -After 30 minutes of gameplay I already encountered more Gen I, II, II pokemon then IV ones.
    ^bothered me the most, and the serious lack of fire types.
    - The aforementioned speed issue...
    - Lame evos and legendaries. except Roserade.
    - The mud, The snow, mt. Coronet.
    -Character OW's

Gwahlywhirl

Gwah.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2012
    I thought the pokemon should resemble some kind of animal a little more.
    First gen did the best job of that, 2nd gen too, but downhill from there.
    Then again I wouldn't want repeats of the same animal over and over.

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2011
    for me it was more the starters. I hated them. especially their fully evolved forms, just terrible. Infernape looked like a digimon

Yukimi

Nautical Star
    Years
  • I found gen 4 to be incredibly dull. There were too many unneeded evolutions (many of which were very ugly, imo) and the majority of the new Pokemon were simply boring. I think the Starly line is the worst regional bird we've seen, and don't even get me started on Bidoof.
    There was no variety in the game either, the same Pokemon popped up over and over.

That's not to say the generation didn't offer Pokemon I liked. I love Shellos, Buizel, Kricketot and Kricketune, but interesting and memorable gen 4 Pokemon are few and far between.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • I won't worry much about 4th gen hate anymore.
    Once 5th gen comes out, it'll shift to 5th gen hate, just like it did here.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Because some people are afraid of progress.
    I don't really hate any particular generation. People are just like that. They hate something. Much like how some people hate Justin Bieber.

And I doubt people will hate Gen 5 that much. I don't think people will hate it, really.

Back