• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is wrong with this show!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    Of course it would be a bit boring but I'm just saying they should keep it how it should be a little more because I don't think a pre evolved pokemon could take down a fully evolved one.

Yeah, it should happen. It's true that pure power is not a guaranteed way to win. If one doesn't know how to use the Pokemon, they'll lose.

joehat

Yay
    Years
    Of course it would be a bit boring but I'm just saying they should keep it how it should be a little more because I don't think a pre evolved pokemon could take down a fully evolved one.

This reminds me of an episode I recently watched in the Johto League Silver Conference. Ash's Bulbasaur tied (Jackson's or Harrison's I can't remember) Meganium. I can imagine Ash's Bulbasaur being at a pretty high level, but I just can't see a Bulbasaur beating or tying a Meganium. It shouldn't happen. That was like when Misty's Poliwhirl battled a Poliwrath and won.

One of the few times a pre-evolved Pokemon beat it's evolved form that I agree with; was when Ash's Pikachu beat Lt. Surge's Raichu. Pikachu had a legit reason to win. It might've been weaker in power, but it's speed made up for it.

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
    Years
    Hang on, you say that levels should apply to the anime yet pre-evolved pokemon shouldn't beat evolved ones? In the games, a Lv.100 Bulbasaur could beat a Lv.40 Meganium, so why shouldn't it be possible in the show?

I remember from the show that level's were mentioned once in the episode with the school in fog back in the Kanto region. But if you think about it, levels can't really be related to a real life situation or in an anime. For example: (forgive me for bringing up Runescape)

A person can start woodcutting on Runescape at level one and suck at it until tey get higher leveled.

A person can start woodcutting in the real world and suck at it because they are weak; they can continue until they get stronger and get better at it. On the other hand, a stronger person can woodcut for the first time and be better then the weaker person who had been woodcutting for years.

Leveling is just a way for games to support stat systems. It really doesn't apply in real life.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
    That's the point I'm making - you can't have levels implemented into the show and also have pre-evolved pokemon being instantly weaker than their evolved forms. And the only episode where numbered level are mentioned was very early in the anime. As in, during the days where they were making up the plotline twenty minutes before it was set to air and details were as reliable as mouldy cheese.

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
    If the anime was like the game, it would be Pokemon Special/Adventures. I mean wouldn't that make it good then? I mean they couldn't make a carbon copy, they would have to just base it (and as of right now they are trying to the follow the game making the show pretty ok.) and then it would be pretty good.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    Brock also mentioned levels when discussing evolution in a very early Hoenn episode. But as has been pointed out, levels/power of attacks/almost all game mechanics are mentioned in the most vague of ways, and you can't have the mindset of "Games=anime" if you hope to enjoy the anime.

Akio123

Sadness forever...
    Years
    Honestly, I don't understand why people want it to be exactly like the games though. I mean we have a ton of spoilers and are able to speculate because of the game, there would be no point in watching the show if it was exactly the same.

PorygonSquared

He's Supposed To Be Dead!!!
    Years
    If the anime was like the game, it would be Pokemon Special/Adventures. I mean wouldn't that make it good then? I mean they couldn't make a carbon copy, they would have to just base it (and as of right now they are trying to the follow the game making the show pretty ok.) and then it would be pretty good.

From my recollection, Pokemon Adventures actually took creative liberties by making Lt. Surge and Koga evil, for one. They also had Pokemon actually die.

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
    Well, for me, I think the anime is quite interesting. If you watch the recent Galactic episodes, you would realise the plot is darker than the ones before, and... er... that's it.

the show is bad. full stop. everythings wrong with it.

You really live up to your name, dont'cha?

OffRoadSP

Still working on Sun & Moon...
    Years
    And how many other game-based anime follow the games? Blue Dragon has a totally different storyline than the XBox 360 game. Several of the characters have very different personalities, such as Jiro. And to use an older anime as an example, Dragon Quest (Warrior) had nothing in common with the games other than the names of a few towns and enemies. Why is Pokemon supposed to be an exception?

Whenever a franchise is taken from one form of media and distributed in another, it very rarely follows the source material to the letter. Look at all the super hero movies (X-Men, the Incredible Hulk, Spider-Man, etc). Vastly different than the comics. Sure, fanboys (like myself) are happy when something is kept true to the source, but some things that work in the storytelling of a comic won't translate well to the big screen. So, some things that work as a video game aren't going to work as a TV show. Maybe Ash should only see pokemon when he's in a cave or walking in tall grass, like in the games?? :cheeky:

And people keep using Silph Co as an example. That was from 12 years ago. I really think the Diamond & Pearl and Battle Dimension seasons really do a much better job of incorporating most locations and characters from the games in some shape or form.

And I have to comment on something someone said a while back:
    "A bit faster releasing the episodes, perhaps."
    I scratch my head on this one. An episode a week (or sometimes two!), just about every week, for the last 12 years. And when Diamond & Pearl first aired, it was a new episode 5 DAYS A WEEK!! I'm trying to think of something sarcastic to add, but really I'm speechless at that one. :\

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    Pokemon is for little kids. give them a break. The games are for us. Pokemon is cool, still. And if it was like the game, things would be really messed up.

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
    Years
    the show is bad. full stop. everythings wrong with it.

HELLO.
    Don't you think you're being extremely rude to all the people who are fans of the show? Especially when you're posting this at this particular section of the forum.

To reply to the first post proper, I still like the show just as it is. The game is too technical and it would be boring and less comedic if the show were to become like the game.
    I think the show is still very awesome. Am still watching it ever since I started watching the show/series 9 years ago~ xD

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    It's a show for kids and as a result, you have no reason to complain. You don't need to watch it anyway if you don't want to.

Years
    I like the anime the way it is too, I like its realism and filler topics. You can't make the anime like the games because the games are too gamey and has unrealistic aspects. Thats why things like TMs/HMs and the PC Storage System are dropped from the anime.

Years
    Well, for me, I think the anime is quite interesting. If you watch the recent Galactic episodes, you would realise the plot is darker than the ones before, and... er... that's it.

Meanwhile, Pokemon Special has had a deeper, darker plot since the start. Even the creator of Pokemon says Special is closer to how he imagined the Pokemon world to be.
    Pokemon Special uses levels, TMs and HMs (granted they are glazed over) and all sorts of game tie-ins. Yet it is still different plot-wise.
    What's wrong with the anime? It isn't based off of the best Pokemanga out there.

Deadly Arbok

Team Rocket's executive agent
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Apr 12, 2009
    Think about how wrong it would be if it was like the games to the letter.

You walk and a trainer rushes up to you. Ash would have absolutely no say in battling or not. The trainer says something stupid and forces you in a battle. The trainer and you would then patiently let the other side beat you up while you can only dodge IF the accuracy is bad. You can interrupt the flow of a fight for a potion, you can be released from invisible chains and run away. And the BEST part is, if you lose, you somehow fade to white.

Oh, and there will be noone but the evil team to be antagonists. And you will have no friends with you.

People need to stop seeing the game through rose-tinted glasses.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    Meanwhile, Pokemon Special has had a deeper, darker plot since the start. Even the creator of Pokemon says Special is closer to how he imagined the Pokemon world to be.
    Pokemon Special uses levels, TMs and HMs (granted they are glazed over) and all sorts of game tie-ins. Yet it is still different plot-wise.
    10 year old quotes shouldn't be used here. Also, what success has PokéSpecial had outside of Japan with its deep plot?

Deadly Arbok

Team Rocket's executive agent
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Apr 12, 2009
    I love how people glorify Pokemon Special.....when half of the world doesn't even get it.

Besides, it's not like Pokemon Special is sin city or something like that. They're just willing to think more outside of the norm I guess.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back