• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is wrong with this show!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue_Drifblim

¯\(º_o)/¯
Years
  • actually, the game was modeled after the show, so it would actually be the game that doesn't follow the show.

Actually, the Pokemon franchise started on February 27, 1996 with the GameBoy games Pokemon Red and Green. The anime started a year later in Japan on April 1, 1997. So really, the anime is based off of the games. You can read more about it on other websites like Wikipedia and Bulbapedia.

Years
  • I love how people glorify Pokemon Special.....when half of the world doesn't even get it.

Besides, it's not like Pokemon Special is sin city or something like that. They're just willing to think more outside of the norm I guess.

Not even half the world get manga at all <_<
    I don't understand the sin city metaphor as I am unfamiliar with it.
    If Pokemon Special was the anime and not the idiot we have now (my only real problem is Ash) it would probably be a lot more popular with the older generation and the younger generation. But since manga itself wasn't huge when Pokemon Special started and that it is in the shadow of popular shonen, not to mention the fact that Pokemon has a horrible reputation (almost entirely due to the anime I might add), it's no wonder Special doesn't do well outside of Japan.

shedinjask

all about how to pokemoning
    Years
  • I wonder how the anime would be if they were based completely off the games....*ponders*

probably a lot better, it'd take more after the manga

then again, i like the anime because it gives us different canon to work with; more material is always good

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    lol. The funny thing is the games are just as repetitive as the anime and are both aimed at the same audience. If the games are going to be exactly the same, the anime that's trying to base itself on them can't do much. The anime's job is to promote the games and it does that well for the target audience, I doubt as many young children and older people today would know about or have bought the games without ever seeing the anime first. I know I wouldn't, at least.

It would be stupid to aim the anime at older teens when clearly the purpose of the anime is to promote the games, which are aimed at younger children.

I'm not saying older people can't like the games or the anime, I mean, I'm 18 and like both, but I'm clearly not the type of person Nintendo is aiming for, heh.

Last edited:

The Ebon Blade

The Fuzz...
    Years
  • probably a lot better, it'd take more after the manga

then again, i like the anime because it gives us different canon to work with; more material is always good

The problem with basing an anime off the manga is because of the age target. as said above, the anime is targeting kids which is why its such a "childish" (I put it in quotations because im 17 and still like the show). the manga however is MUCH less childish then the show. ppl die, pokemon get cut in half, theres romance, sapphire really doesnt like to wear clothes, blue (or green) is a scandal, the elite four wanted to kill all humans, and blah blah blah... needless to say, this would not be a kids show. it might be a good show if the target audience was older teens (like Bleach or Naruto Shippuden) but its not... and as for being more material. I'm not sure wat ya mean by that because as long as there are new pokemon there will be new episodes of pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    Meanwhile, Pokemon Special has had a deeper, darker plot since the start. Even the creator of Pokemon says Special is closer to how he imagined the Pokemon world to be.
    Pokemon Special uses levels, TMs and HMs (granted they are glazed over) and all sorts of game tie-ins. Yet it is still different plot-wise.
    What's wrong with the anime? It isn't based off of the best Pokemanga out there.

From what I've read, the manga still aren't that dark. Sure, they get to be more graphic because it's an illustrated format that isn't very mainstream anywhere besides Japan. Most manga is still sold in local comic book shops, with big chains MAYBE having a small selection.

So basically, saying "the manga is this" is pointless, because it's a different part of the franchise aimed at a different audience (slightly more mature, also those with their own money, a bit older like middle school/early high school). The anime is quite literally for everyone, world wide. It needs to appeal to a huge audience.

That doesn't restrict the plots though. Sinnoh has been a GREAT season. Less filler, good writing, great characterization, and still easy to follow.

I wonder how the anime would be if they were based completely off the games....*ponders*

Bad. There are several aspects of the games that just wouldn't work in animation. Not to mention it makes the anime more "realistic" (as far as Pokemon can be realistic) if it doesnt' confine itself to strict standards for evolution , power, levels, and so on.

Years
  • IIRC the manga is aimed for under 12s. The Japanese kids are just exposed to a lot more than the rest of the world would consider appropriate.

Editman

Pokemon Collector
    Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    If anything the Games Should be more like the Anime, in a since that When your entering the pokemon League it is set up like a tourney instead of Battling the Elite 4 and then your the champion. I think if they had it in a tourney style and then after that you gradually run into the elite four in different areas the game would be more Fun or interesting. I also Think that once you beat the Elite 4 people should recognize you as the Champion of the elite four.

I think that Pokemon Contest should be like the anime to, after you pass the First round you battle the other finalist.. Maybe I'm getting ahead of Myself though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back