• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Episode Discussion] What is your favourite Johto episode?

Years
  • Hi all I am actually new to Pokecommunity so I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I created this thread just to find out what use would consider to be the best episodes throughout the Johto saga, I'm including all 3 of the seasons.

I've just started watching the 3rd season after enjoying The Indigo League and Orange Islands again. I have seen mostly all of the original series but that was over 10 years ago, so I decided to start from the beginning a few months ago and Johto is where I am currently at.

I know Johto has been criticised for being overloaded with so much filler compared to other seasons but I still remember really enjoying it even if it's not as good as the previous 2 seasons. In particular a stand out episode for me was 'Better eight than never' where Ash fought Clare for his final gym badge, which I found thrilling seeing him use the likes of Snorlax and Charizard in the one gym battle after him getting destroyed by her a few episodes prior, so it was interesting seeing him change his strategy and use Pokemon you don't see him use often for a big match.

Anyway do use have a stand out episode or episodes in Johto that brings back good memories?

Attachments

• What is your favourite Johto episode?
      1049647.jpg
      38.7 KB · Views: 2
    Years
  • I think the one that stands out the most for me is the one about the Ninetales who had an owner a long time ago that looked just like Brock. "Just Waiting on a Friend" is the name, I believe.

To be honest though, I never got to watch all of the Johto series. Anything before Goldenrod City or between the Ecruteak and Mahogany gym episodes I missed out on.

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2023
    Having started watching the Pokemon anime from the beginning a few months ago, I've only just finished watching the Johto region a few days ago. A lot of the episodes were filler, but the most memorable for me were the whirl island episodes and the lake of rage ones.

trainer_nokachi

the trainer who wanders ~
    Years
    • AZ
    • Seen Dec 16, 2020
    Definitely the two part episode where Ash and Gary have their big rival battle. That entire League arc in general was so exciting, whether it was Hoenn Pokemon making an appearance through Wynaut and Blaziken, or all the awesome battles that took place at the Silver Conference. Without a doubt tho, my favorite anime battle was seeing Charizard take out half of Gary's team to hand Ash a well deserved win.

The Johto arc in general is one of my favorites, and I think the main reason for that was the fact that, unlike it's predecessor Kanto series, Ash actually had to earn all his badges (w/ the exception of Pryce throwing in the towel while he was winning). That made it all the more satisfying to see when Ash finally defeated Gary.

pkmin3033

The Fortune Hunters. It's James' defining moment in the entire anime.

Years
  • Definitely an iconic scene but I never quite knew what exact episode it came from haha.

Chikorita/Bayleef relationship with Ash is one of the most adorable in the entire anime.

Loved the final showdown with Ash and Gary especially since Gary had always been on top before, so it was a satisfying end to the rivalry.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • I always liked the Episode Just Waiting on a Friend. That Ninetales had an interesting story to tell. It was a poignant tale about the love between Pokemon and it's trainer over the ages. It's one of those episodes I like to watch around Halloween for it's supernatural theme.

I also like the episode Power Play. Gary and his Umbreon are a cool pair that complement eachother well. I think this is a good depiction of Gary, though I actually liked the spoiled, bratty, show-off version of Gary too from the first season who was surrounded by fawning cheerleaders and zipped around in the sports car. I think that character was fun because it was so over-the-top, but I think it's also interesting to see how he has matured by the Johto episodes. He's proud, that hasn't changed about him, but he's not as flashy. He knows he's good, but doesn't talk endlessly about himself now. His self-confidence manifests in a more quiet, controlled way. You can earn his respect if you show yourself to be a really good trainer. He embodies a more healthy spirit of competition. This Gary I like because it's different yet seems like a plausible evolution, unlike some of the later versions of him that are too nice. This episode is also cool to see the awesome of Wobbufett unleashed!

Last edited:
    Years
  • I definitely liked this change in Gary for Johto it brought a more genuinely competitive and serious tone to their rivalry. I thought Umbreon and Gary were a great combo, pity he didn't use it against Ash in the League.

Years
  • I get the feels everytime when I watch the episode with Larvitar hatching, it always made me feel bad for poor Larvitar having to be hatched and so scared of the world, I absolutely adored Larvitar and Ash's interactions, and I definitely found the time that Larvitar was with Ash to be very memorable and the progression of Larvitar was handled so well. :)

Gonir

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2020
    the two part episode where Ash and Gary have their big rival battle

PB

creation hero
    Years
  • I really need to rewatch this saga along with Hoenn's, but I think the episode in which Ash catches Totodile? I rmb it being very cute

Momoro

I'm gonna put some dirt in your eye..
    Years
  • I really need to rewatch this saga along with Hoenn's, but I think the episode in which Ash catches Totodile? I rmb it being very cute

The episode where Ash catches Totodile is one of my favorite of that series! I'm going to have to re-watch this saga along with Hoenn's too.

Back