• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

what is your opinion on the english pokemon dub?

Years
  • Actually, this has been done in a recent thread, but I'll let it go, until I can merge them. Or, until Unown can do it, since my browser is made of fail, at the moment.

Everyone knows my stance on the dub, so I'll leave it there.

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Mar 1, 2014
    I don't like the Pokemon USA dub at all and when I finally watched an episode of it I wished I was deaf and felt like driving nails into my ears to make this happen but luckily instead of doing this I shut off the TV and have not seen any episode of it since. The 4Kids dub was better in my opinion even with the dialogue edits which did not bother me at all by the way. The voice acting was far better and the characters were more believable because of this and more emotion was put into the delivery of the lines rather than sounding like robots like they do now. It was Ash and Brock which had this effect on me mainly while the person who does the voice of Dawn seemed like the only good VA on the current cast.

wee187

Beat 358/2 Days on 10/5/09
    Years
  • I really really think the older episodes (Seasons 1-8) were the best. Once Battle Frontier came along, it just got boring. I dunno, maybe is was the voices. Still, honestly, even if they switch companies, why couldn't they ask the old voice actors to keep voicing. I love Jame's old voice, and his scream lol. Now in newer ones, it's not the same. Same with every other character. I started watching again from season 6 up, now i'm in the beginning of 7(6-8 are my favorite series's) and I'm not sure, I may just switch to japanese with subs when I get to BF, I dunno. It's just too different, after what, 8 years of showing pokemon, they randomly change the voices. I'm sure a lot of people got angry.

Also, they changed a lot of the music. Not the theme songs, but the actual soundtrack music. Sure, they have a lot of the old tracks which is nice, but they make everything too overly dramatic, and they have too much violin. I love the violin, my friend used to play it, but, like I said, they make pokemon too dramatic with it by playing those songs for every battle. The oldie tracks were the best.

Still, I'll watch hrough them and still enjoy it if I have to. :)

Deadly Arbok

Team Rocket's executive agent
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Apr 12, 2009
    My opinion on the Pokemon english dub is actually pretty good. I mean, like others said, PUSA actually seems competent on the terms of editing, music usage, composing, and translating. The voices are all looking pretty good, much better than some of the originals:

New James>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>old James. Seriously, every time I heard Eric in AG he keeps shrieking like a little girl and going through puberty like every 2 seconds. And I swear, his voice cracked a lot too. Though before late Johto, he was actually reall good.

New Meowth=old Meowth. I don't really see much difference here, heh. Though I think Zoppie is a better actor than Blaustin.

New Jessie=old Jessie. Virtually no difference, except new Jessie is just a bit high-pitched, but that's fine.

New Ash>>>>>>Ola Ash. I don't know why, but the old Ash; every time he spoke I wanted to just kill him for some reason. Veronica made him sound too arrorgant imo.

New Brock>Old Brock.... Better range of emotions.

I like watching both raw and dub so that's not a problem heh. Though I like nyasu's voice, it sounds very much like a cat heh, which I guess is annoying lol.

wee187

Years
  • Lol, that's what makes him so funny. James I mean. I always lmao whenever I hear that scream.

Jessie's new voice is annoying, and Meowth's is... okay. Ash sounds too overly "cool", and it's annoying. May sounds way to high-pitched, Max sounds too overly nerdy, Dawn's ok, because there's nothing to compare to, and so is Paul. Brock sounds almost like he squeals now, it's so annoying, his old voice was also a lot, I dunno, more fitting of a breeder. Nurse Joy sounds too much like a damzel in distress now, and I haven't heard anybody else due to lack of watching. I guess I'll see when I get there.

Oh yeah, Drew. THEY TOTALLY SCREWED UP HIS VOICE IN THE NEWER SERIES!!! he was actually one of the cool rivals, and they ruined him. I hope Richie's voice doesn't get ruined the way Drew's was(they're the best rivals IMO).

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
  • When I fisrt heard of Pokemon USA, I was surprised. I mean, look at their name!! P-O-K-E-M-O-N U-S-A!! Why didn't they get the Pokemon anime first?
    But anyway, I still like the series. The only thing I don't like is the fact the new voice actors don't give the old characters much emotion. But hey, practice makes perfect, right?

Shedinjareese

Undercover Rocket
    Years
  • Ash's new voice I don't mind bc boys' voices do change so it's like he's growing up. Team Rocket bothered me at first, but now I'm totally fine with Meowth's. James's voice was similar to the original but what bothered me is that his (new James's voice) inflection was on awkward parts of words, but I figured that would get better over time as the voice actor got more comfortable, and I think it has. Jessie's voice is too high-pitched too often, which I could live with except when I keep the volume medium-level I can't understand her.

wee187

Years
  • well overall for at LEAST me lol is

Old voices > New Voices

but if you just gotta push it lol, I guess you can say

Old voices >/= New Voices

yossarian

Knight of Cydonia
    Years
  • Haven't read the whole thread fully so apologies if I'm repeating someone.

Personally, I think both PUSA and 4Kids have done an excellent job dubbing the series. People moan about stuff, but people always moan about something, especially small stupid things.

"Oh noes! Look 4Kids have called that riceball, a doughnut! What an outrage". Big deal you gimps. How does that make the show bad or for the matter why does it even matter if they westernised a few things to cater for a western audience?

Most of the people, I also find who moan constantly are the same people who seem to think the original Japanese version is somewhat pefect and vastly superior in quality to the dubbed version. Whereas it probably is somewhat slightly better due to obvious reasons, I can gurantee you the Japanase people who watch the show regualry will have some gripes with it. If the english version is seriously that bad why must you watch it? Just stick with the Japanese version then. I just think this whole 4 Kids/PUSA rubbish compared to the Japanese version is a massive bandwagon that people are jumping on to, to somehow prove that they are better/superior/more knowledgeable fans then the fans that only watch the english dubbed version only.

Most of the english voice actors are fantastic and well trained. They really put great emotion in their voice, so much you almost think it's real life rather then a cartoon. I can never recall an incident where I though a voice on a charachter was wrong. Sure they occasinaly do something wrong, like name a pokemon incorrectly but they are very rare and insignificant.

At the end of the day they are only a very few dubbing companies out there. It's not like an advertisment where any channel would be able to air it (well apart from the BBC), it's a dub of an anime which takes a lot of time, effort, work and most importantly money to produce. I'm personally very grateful to 4kids/PUSA for taking the effort to dub Pokemon and a few other animes that I watch (yu gi oh/gx), so me and a lot of other people are able to watch them and enjoy them. I hope they continue dubbing for as long as the show is running and I hope god forbid for some reason they don't decide to stop dubbing the episodes.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Haven't read the whole thread fully so apologies if I'm repeating someone.
    I'm pretty sure you're not.

Personally, I think both PUSA and 4Kids have done an excellent job dubbing the series. People moan about stuff, but people always moan about something, especially small stupid things.
    You mean like keeping things that shouldn't be changed because they're small to begin with?

"Oh noes! Look 4Kids have called that riceball, a doughnut! What an outrage". Big deal you gimps.
    Well, they changed from rice balls to doughnuts to sandwiches on a constant basis.

How does that make the show bad or for the matter why does it even matter if they westernised a few things to cater for a western audience?
    It doesn't make the show bad, it makes the dub bad.

Most of the people, I also find who moan constantly are the same people who seem to think the original Japanese version is somewhat pefect and vastly superior in quality to the dubbed version. Whereas it probably is somewhat slightly better due to obvious reasons, I can gurantee you the Japanase people who watch the show regualry will have some gripes with it.
    It's all in opinion. They main thing they complain about is the number of BGM kept ranging from very little to a lot. If the show kept this, they wouldn't complain. Just like they stopped complaining about the movies when they were dubbed by PUSA.

If the english version is seriously that bad why must you watch it? Just stick with the Japanese version then. I just think this whole 4 Kids/PUSA rubbish compared to the Japanese version is a massive bandwagon that people are jumping on to, to somehow prove that they are better/superior/more knowledgeable fans then the fans that only watch the english dubbed version only.
    As I said, they complain about the music and Ash's voice(Some of them) with PUSA and complain about a lot more with 4Kids.

Most of the english voice actors are fantastic and well trained. They really put great emotion in their voice, so much you almost think it's real life rather then a cartoon. I can never recall an incident where I though a voice on a charachter was wrong. Sure they occasinaly do something wrong, like name a pokemon incorrectly but they are very rare and insignificant.
    Here is where I agree barring the 4Kids filler girl voices and old woman voices.

it's a dub of an anime which takes a lot of time, effort, work and most importantly money to produce.
    That's why people complain. The Japanese also take time, effort, work, and money to produce it.

I'm personally very grateful to 4kids/PUSA for taking the effort to dub Pokemon and a few other animes that I watch (yu gi oh/gx),
    No 5D's? :D

I don't watch any of the Yu-Gi-Oh! Series but 4Kids didn't do a good job with those. To the SHADOW REALM! But the Pokémon when 4Kids produced them was pretty bad indeed. Not untolerable, but bad.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I feel bad mass quoting one person when someone already has...but I wanna say something.

"Oh noes! Look 4Kids have called that riceball, a doughnut! What an outrage". Big deal you gimps. How does that make the show bad or for the matter why does it even matter if they westernised a few things to cater for a western audience?

What makes it better by changing it to "Western" foods? Children did not shrivel up and die when they saw riceballs in Indigo League. It's just the absolute pointlessness of it all that make people wonder about 4Kids. They would spend the money editing in cheap rolling sandwiches, editing background signs, seconds off here and there and, sometimes, change around scenes spending their precious money on things that do not effect the quality of the show. But they ended up ignoring most of the BGM by AG, which does effect it.

Most of the people, I also find who moan constantly are the same people who seem to think the original Japanese version is somewhat pefect and vastly superior in quality to the dubbed version. Whereas it probably is somewhat slightly better due to obvious reasons, I can gurantee you the Japanase people who watch the show regualry will have some gripes with it. If the english version is seriously that bad why must you watch it? Just stick with the Japanese version then.

They could easily improve the dub by keeping all the original BGM, IMO. Why should I have to watch it in a language I don't understand for that...? Other animes do. (Can "anime" be a plural?)

I just think this whole 4 Kids/PUSA rubbish compared to the Japanese version is a massive bandwagon that people are jumping on to, to somehow prove that they are better/superior/more knowledgeable fans then the fans that only watch the english dubbed version only.

? Then you thought wrong. I don't watch it to be superior o.O

But it takes more time and effort to choose to keep some BGM and not keep others, then delete them off the soundtrack or whatever and make and add their own. Plus they must hire more people to compose and edit. And it, usually, makes it worse rather than better.

Years
  • the voices now suck, but the dialogues in English are great. theyre way cleaner and better for kids to listen to.

i sorta liked the DP Season 10 Theme Song. it was alright. but some of the others from before weren't.

BUT! This Seasons Theme Song rocks! Doesnt it? i really like it. it wouldve been better it it was longer. like instead of 35 seconds it should be a minute like how the Theme Songs from before lasted.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Cleaner for ki.. wha? This thing is damn capable of teen audiences as well. As you see... Right now, "Pokemon", and "Kids-imitating-stupidly-the-teens Popular Stuff". Don't mash like Corn Tortillas and Salt, really. That fusion attempt was what made me what I am today. A miserable Napoleon dynamite.

I still watch the show, but there are ways it could "grow up". Get more audience. Make my bullies feel Hypocritic. And get some damn respect.

Little kiddies waste their time on Disney Channel anyways. The show will fail because of some miserably failing noob company. But that's off the subject....Cupcakes, anyone?

wee187

Years
  • Anyway...

I was completely fine with the 4 Kids dub, and I think it was pointless for them to switch. Unless it's a money issue. I love pretty much every opening, especially seasons 6-8(the best seasons in Pokemon IMO), but that's beside the point. The voice actors could have been asked to keep voicing, but PUSA never bothered asking. IMO, the whole switch was unnecessary and stupid. I watched about 7 Advanced Challenge eps today, but I was lucky if I managed watching 2 DP episodes on OnDemand. =\ I still love it, just...not into the newer ones yet, with the voices being a major reason.

wee187

Years
  • Never heard the new Giovanni Voice actually :o Is it good? I'll need to watch it somehow.

yossarian

Knight of Cydonia
    Years
  • I feel bad mass quoting one person when someone already has...but I wanna say something.

What makes it better by changing it to "Western" foods? Children did not shrivel up and die when they saw riceballs in Indigo League. It's just the absolute pointlessness of it all that make people wonder about 4Kids. They would spend the money editing in cheap rolling sandwiches, editing background signs, seconds off here and there and, sometimes, change around scenes spending their precious money on things that do not effect the quality of the show. But they ended up ignoring most of the BGM by AG, which does effect it.

They could easily improve the dub by keeping all the original BGM, IMO. Why should I have to watch it in a language I don't understand for that...? Other animes do. (Can "anime" be a plural?)

? Then you thought wrong. I don't watch it to be superior o.O

But it takes more time and effort to choose to keep some BGM and not keep others, then delete them off the soundtrack or whatever and make and add their own. Plus they must hire more people to compose and edit. And it, usually, makes it worse rather than better.

I'm not sure how to do the whole quoting of individual parts of a posts so I'm afraid my response is in one big piece.

I'm not saying changing the rice balls to doughnuts makes it better per to say, what I'm saying is that it really shouldn't matter. It's just a small pointless thing as you say, which doesn't take anything anyway from the overall quality of the dub. It's ridiculous what a big issue it's become to a lot of people. I judge the dub on is how well the episode flows, the BGM (I'm guessing that means background music?) and most importantly the voices and on all three points the dub been excellent.

I haven't watched the original Japenese episodes so I can't really comment on the difference in the BGM. The BGM in the dub for me though hasn't been a turn of. In fact it's been great most of the times as given their obvious resources they're able to find great music that really fits the particualar scene. Although the BGM does vary the quality of the dub it's not as important the voices, as I've mentioned above. Thats the main point of the dub.

Not saying you can't watch the dub, just saying that if people really detest it so much, they don't have to watch it.

At the end of the day 4Kids/PUSA is a company. And like all companies it's out to make money to survive and it does that by trying to dub anime and selling it to channels like CN for a value dependent on the popualarity of the show. If they think doing small things like changing signs/doughnuts etc will attract a bigger audience (and given the intenteded audience, it's certainly a valid assumption) and generate more money for them they'll do it. They wouldn't be on the top of my piority list for the dub but I don't mind them either. I'm just thankful theres a dub version of the show.

Back