• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

what is your opinion on the english pokemon dub?

Vernikova

Banned
Years
  • I'm not sure how to do the whole quoting of individual parts of a posts so I'm afraid my response is in one big piece.
    Example: [/quote] to end off the quote.
    Username of Person You're Quoting said:
    To begin the quote with the Username of the person to show up. Finally,
    To start the quote regularly without the person's Username.

yossarian said:
    I'm not saying changing the rice balls to doughnuts makes it better per to say, what I'm saying is that it really shouldn't matter. It's just a small pointless thing as you say, which doesn't take anything anyway from the overall quality of the dub.
    If it's so pointless, why switch it in the first place? Also, it does take some quality away, seeing that a dub should be a good translation and not a toy that can earn you a lot of money if you do it right.

yossarian said:
    I haven't watched the original Japenese episodes so I can't really comment on the difference in the BGM. The BGM in the dub for me though hasn't been a turn of. In fact it's been great most of the times as given their obvious resources they're able to find great music that really fits the particualar scene. Although the BGM does vary the quality of the dub it's not as important the voices, as I've mentioned above. Thats the main point of the dub.
    The Japanese actually have BGM that fits into the scene to their own show. Of course, there is dub BGM that is good, but not all fit with the actual scene. Like when there is supposed to be silence in one scene instead of music*looks at 4Kids*.

yossarian said:
    Not saying you can't watch the dub, just saying that if people really detest it so much, they don't have to watch it.
    Perhaps they have no other way to watch it. They should trust that a company can make a show as equally as good, if not better, than their favorite cartoon if it gets dubbed anywhere in the world.

yossarian said:
    At the end of the day 4Kids/PUSA is a company. And like all companies it's out to make money to survive and it does that by trying to dub anime and selling it to channels like CN for a value dependent on the popualarity of the show.
    PUSA isn't a dubbing company. They just handle the entire Pokémon franchise in America. Maybe the rest of the world too.

yossarian said:
    If they think doing small things like changing signs/doughnuts etc will attract a bigger audience (and given the intenteded audience, it's certainly a valid assumption) and generate more money for them they'll do it.
    Then why do series such as Naruto have such a large fan base, which I'm not a part of I might add, outside of Japan? They air it in America, keeping things such as ramen and other things and the popularity is still big. Of course, many people stopped watching the show because the show is bad but the dub isn't. I digress of of course, but it wasn't that well done[the show] in the first place.

wee187

Beat 358/2 Days on 10/5/09
    Years
  • *puts foot down* the show is not bad ;D It's my all-time favorite anime...

Actually, the reason it is at the moment is for some reason US decided to go through all near 100 episodes of filler (136-120) which they've been doing for a year. Then they'll move on to Shippuuden, and the actual "real" story will be back.

Not meaning to go off topic, sorry. Anyway, I like this discussion between you two, a very interesting argument, lol. :P

Hyonp

Neutral Trainer
    Years
  • I Think After Johto it started To Rot Season 1 Was King And the theme Too But i Do Like 1 Thing about the new series Paul its really interesting that for once there is a trainer who treats his pokemon like scum he battles in a completely different way which is something i like i think hes mean yeah but a very interesting character.

wee187

Beat 358/2 Days on 10/5/09
    Years
  • Nyaah! :'(

Hoenn in my opinion have the best seasons of the series! I don't see why people don't like them.

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Mar 1, 2014
    I don't think that Diamond and Pearl is good at all, when I tried to watch it I could not stand it. None of the characters interested me especially Dawn who seemed too much like a May knock off. Brock had become a shell of his former self and Ash is getting close to that happening. Also the plots did not hold my attention like the ones of Kanto and the Orange Islands which were very unique, like nothing I had ever seen before.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Beware of Dark Lugia has said most of the stuff ~

I haven't watched the original Japenese episodes so I can't really comment on the difference in the BGM. The BGM in the dub for me though hasn't been a turn of. In fact it's been great most of the times as given their obvious resources they're able to find great music that really fits the particualar scene. Although the BGM does vary the quality of the dub it's not as important the voices, as I've mentioned above. Thats the main point of the dub.

Depending on the scene, BGM can be just as important as voices, and can sometimes completly change how a scene is viewed. For example, there have been instences where a scene was quite serious in Japanese, but they changed the music to purposley soften it. They don't always do it purposely, but some of the dub music is quite terrible

This is a scene where dub music ruins the scene

Comparison - DUB and RAW - Ash vs Gary

The Japanese version uses Mezase Pokemon Master 2001 which makes the battle seem energetic and intense, while PUSA uses their horrible "filler music" which makes the whole scene, really, quite forgettable.

I know one scene can't show what the whole of the dub music is like (not alll of the dub music is bad, anyway) but it shows how much the music can change a scene.

The Japanese actually have BGM that fits into the scene to their own show. Of course, there is dub BGM that is good, but not all fit with the actual scene. Like when there is supposed to be silence in one scene instead of music*looks at 4Kids*.

PUSA have only just started to use silence, even though they've been dubbing for 2 years now (except the very 1st Battle Frontier epsode). Well, DuArt started at season 11, maybe that's why

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • PUSA have only just started to use silence, even though they've been dubbing for 2 years now (except the very 1st Battle Frontier epsode). Well, DuArt started at season 11, maybe that's why
    They used silence in the early BF episodes. Take that Princess Daisy.

EDIT: I just read your post over. I stand corrected for now.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
  • This is a scene where dub music ruins the scene

The Japanese version uses Mezase Pokemon Master 2001 which makes the battle seem energetic and intense, while PUSA uses their horrible "filler music" which makes the whole scene, really, quite forgettable.

I know one scene can't show what the whole of the dub music is like (not alll of the dub music is bad, anyway) but it shows how much the music can change a scene.

Awesome!!! I noticed that Satoshi said, "Damn it!" and is it just me, or does Rica voice Gary too? [don't know his Japanese name.] The two sounded exactly alike!!

But I see what you mean by the music. Why didn't PUSA just keep the music and edit out the Japanese words or something? I guess because it strictly belongs to Japan or something....

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Awesome!!! I noticed that Satoshi said, "Damn it!" and is it just me, or does Rica voice Gary too? [don't know his Japanese name.] The two sounded exactly alike!!

But I see what you mean by the music. Why didn't PUSA just keep the music and edit out the Japanese words or something? I guess because it strictly belongs to Japan or something....
    They could buy the rights to the songs so they could use. I've noticed they kept all the music in the Manaphy and Darkrai movies, besides the vocal ones.

Gary's name is Shigeru.

ShadowDeeps

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2021
    This is a scene where dub music ruins the scene

I'm inclined to be in agreement. Though, my other qualms gravitate towards the voice acting. The Seiyuus seem to be much more into it VA-wise in this scene and make me at least feel the brevity of emotion just on a sheer level of intensity as Ash scrambles to keep his composure against Gary and makes a very duteous attempt (with much verve) at attempting to win despite his loss. The English dub is lacking without a window of doubt to me both due to its subpar voice acting and languid background music (which as you mentioned doesn't make this seem like anything but a run-in-the-mill battle when Gary has been Ash's rival since at least the inception of the series).

As for the background music, I don't think using nothing but typical BGM was a prudent choice either. The Japanese version's Mezase Pokémon gives vividness, great confidence, and tensity to the score (which acts as background for this scene), though I do think it's a tad upbeat given that Ash loses (but I suppose that depends upon who one roots for), though that's just a personal pet peeve on my behalf. As for the silence, I feel that should be respected as well, as both voice cues and feelings of imposition and desolation are more obvious through silence (which works better for the more climatic and prevalent moments of the series in my eyes). And, for that matter, Ikue Ohtani does an amazing job at giving Pikachu the same verve that all the Seiyuus give their characters. Hearing her voice in the English dub is sharply contrasting, but I don't want to rile up any heated quarrels so suffice to say, I'll draw my post to a duly-befitting end here.

Last edited:

Dr. Ookido

オーキド博士
    Years
  • Though, my other qualms gravitate towards the voice acting. The Seiyuus seem to be much more into it VA-wise in this scene and make me at least feel the brevity of emotion just on a sheer level of intensity as Ash scrambles to keep his composure against Gary and makes a very duteous attempt (with much verve) at attempting to win despite his loss. The English dub is lacking without a window of doubt to me both due to its subpar voice acting and languid background music (which as you mentioned doesn't make this seem like anything but a run-in-the-mill battle when Gary has been Ash's rival since at least the inception of the series).
    After seeing that (which actually refreshed my mind, I haven't seen the dub in a long time), my main qualm is clearly the voice acting and dialogue. I was somewhat fine with Ash's voice, but Gary's was just wrong. Squeaky and kiddish. And the dialogue was a killer, "hey remember my mom's watching," wow, that just sounds idiotic, lol. "it flies?" "we can't lose, we just won the Battle Frontier."
    Personally, the voices are a bigger problem than the music. I mean, the dub music was merely unremarkable, but better music wouldn't really be able to help bad voicing that much would it? Too much contrast. Also, for someone who has never seen the Japanese version, the music's no loss. After all, "what [insert name] doesn't know won't hurt [him/her]."

ShadowDeeps

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2021
    After seeing that (which actually refreshed my mind, I haven't seen the dub in a long time), my main qualm is clearly the voice acting and dialogue. I was somewhat fine with Ash's voice, but Gary's was just wrong. Squeaky and kiddish. And the dialogue was a killer, "hey remember my mom's watching," wow, that just sounds idiotic, lol. "it flies?" "we can't lose, we just won the Battle Frontier."
    Personally, the voices are a bigger problem than the music. I mean, the dub music was merely unremarkable, but better music wouldn't really be able to help bad voicing that much would it? Too much contrast. Also, for someone who has never seen the Japanese version, the music's no loss. After all, "what [insert name] doesn't know won't hurt [him/her]."
    Gary's voice was stupefyingly enough the same as it was since the beginning of the series. Jimmy Zoppi still voices him to this day, just credited under the name "Billy Beach".

But as stated before, my peeves with the dub of the scene in question is that the dub lacks the audible vibrance and intensity in tone that the Japanese version has in my view.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Awesome!!! I noticed that Satoshi said, "Damn it!" and is it just me, or does Rica voice Gary too? [don't know his Japanese name.] The two sounded exactly alike!!

Rica doesn't voice Gary.

They can keep Japanese songs, they've kept them in
    movie 5 (Secret Garden),
    movie 6 ending (partly undubbed),
    Polka O Dolka (Gotta Dance, completly dubbed),
    in DP they kept Watashi, Makenai instrumental
    Pokemon Ondo in IL.
    Can't forget Team Rocket's mottos
    Oh, and that Johto episode which had Mezase Pokemon Master instrumental, Team Rocket Forever, Takeshi's Paradise (also in Battle Froniter)

Instrumental remixes are kept: Kimi no Soba de, Advance Adventure, OK!, movie 6 Polka O Dolka in DP

They just can't be bothered to change around a vocal song to instrumental

Dr. Ookido

オーキド博士
    Years
  • Gary's voice was stupefyingly enough the same as it was since the beginning of the series. Jimmy Zoppi still voices him to this day, just credited under the name "Billy Beach".
    Yes, after watching it, it did bring back old recollections of Gary's not-so-fond-of voice (which I couldn't remember at first). Squeaky-ish.
    Then who voices him then?
    Some other seiyuu. Yuko Kobayashi 小林優子 (female)

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Oh yeah; they put in the english version!! Man, I laughed so hard when I heard that on the show!!

They can't use the English version by Maddie Bluestien anymore. Apparently, the Battle Frontier DVDs have it edited so there's only an instrumental version and it was like that when it aired in the UK. She must've complained that they used it without her permission. It's a shame because it's so much crazier with the singing.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • I don't mind it. Granted, I don't know the major differences that well or the company changes. All I do know is that it's still enjoyable to me, and that's what matters. Perhaps I should dive into learning more about the changes, differences, etc etc... but I'm content with the current flow of things. And I don't mind Japanese shows either, though it is sometimes difficult to not know what they're saying. Although I do hear from Jorah all the time on the music differences and such, I agree there... dub lacks. So yeah, I might have a more valid opinion if I had the knowledge of them, but for now, I'll just continue to enjoy it. ;x

Candy Christina

poseidon's tsunami
    Years
  • The English dub now is alright. They do seem to be a bit more lenient about the show than 4Kids was. I don't watch the dub that often though, because I forget to watch it or I sleep in late. xP

Overall though, I prefer the Japanese version to the English one, despite the fact that I have no idea what they're saying. xD

ShadowDeeps

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2021
    Yes, after watching it, it did bring back old recollections of Gary's not-so-fond-of voice (which I couldn't remember at first). Squeaky-ish.
    My issue isn't Jimmy Zoppi's performance but his portrayal (or, rather, the dub's direction and interpretation) - it makes Gary sound vociferous and pompous enough that he literally has to be loud about everything - exhibiting his pride in order to satisfy it, which doesn't help further by my view (or rather, by my ears). I just prefer the Seiyuu's quiet take on the character, though I do think Jimmy did a good job. I just don't like that subtle squeak in Gary's dub voice.

Back