• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

what is your opinion on the english pokemon dub?

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
Years
  • They can't use the English version by Maddie Bluestien anymore.
    Huh? I coulda sworn when I saw that episode on CN a few weeks back, that Meowth was singing. Then again, I live in the U.S. : D

But anyway, I have to admit the anime is getting way better. The dub, I mean-I probably couldn't understand the Japanese one if you paid me.

Kirakishou

*~Snowdrop Crystal~*
    Years
  • I would say that the dub was better than the original, right up to the Battle Frontier. The change in voice acting did nothing to improve it, and some of the characters - James in particular - just don't sound right. The dialogue is getting worse as well. Overall, I wouldn't watch the dub now, I can barely stand it.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Personally, I really don't care either way. I find both the dub and Japanese versions to be alright. The plot of the show itself hasn't been that great lately anyway (except for Paul, he's awesome).

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I don't like it all that much anymore.. but then, it might just partically be DP that I dislike, instead of PUSA's dub being the entire reason that I don't really watch Pokemon these days. Not too much of DP has impressed me so far, and for the past two years I've kept myself thinking 'It'll get better over time!', buuuut it's coming closer to the end, and it's still no more amusing than when it first started, to me.. minus a few neat episodes, or two-parters that were amusing. PUSA's dub just makes it that much worse though.. because I still miss the 4Kids VA's being around, and that's alot of reason why I haven't bothered watching it. The quality of the voice actors for the minor characters really sucks in most of the episodes, as well.. it's sad to see.

Darcho

The Pumpkin King
    Years
  • From what I have seen of the new dub, I despise it.

Most of the voices are horrible. In particular, Ash, Jessie, James, and Meowth sound awful. Ash's new voice actress conveys very little emotion into him. He sounds like a robot. Jessie's new voice actress makes her sound like a ditzy valley girl. Out of all the voices, I probably hate hers the most. I actually have read that her new voice actress received an award in voice acting. Where did she receive it? Junior high school? Jimmy Zoppi makes James sound like a mentally retarded person with a bad nose cold. His Meowth is also terrible. Hearing it makes my ears bleed.

Additionally, the dialogue is poor. Hearing lines such as, "What a kawinkee-dink" and, "I wish I had a bagel this morning" make me die a little inside. I also dislike the show's new BGM. It is too dramatic and serious. Furthermore, the opening and ending songs are cheesy.

Silverwings-Lumina

Ravenbound Evolution
    Years
  • The dubs from the older seasons are way better than the ones now. (Honestly, no offense though)
    Pokemon used to be interesting to me. The voices are like, 70% of importance to me, and they messed it up. Ever since Battle Frontier started and I noticed the change in their voices, I lost interest. Lots of them. I just wished there were no dubs. I prefer the Japanese version since the voices are way better than the ones on this.

About the opening and ending songs.. What can I say? I even think that it cannot be compared to Season One's songs. I used to think Pokemon had the best dubs. I take that back. How disappointing... -Sighs- (Fortunately there's the Japanese version...)

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • About the opening and ending songs.. What can I say? I even think that it cannot be compared to Season One's songs. I used to think Pokemon had the best dubs. I take that back. How disappointing... -Sighs- (Fortunately there's the Japanese version...)

Why did you think that when 4Kids was dubbing back then? Getting rid of imaginary letters and replacing things with rolling sandwhiches that don't fall apart....

Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2020
    To be frank, I think it sucks. When 4kids dubbed it it was alright, not really that great, but ok. Now, with pokemon usa its worse. The voices are worse and the english theme songs arent catchy anymore (well, the battle dimension song is a tiny bit catchy but the rap song sue as hell wasnt). I think 4kids did a great job on theme songs especially the one for season 1. I actually like that song as much as the japanese theme for season 1.

Actually, it was worse when it was 4Kids dubbing. Though the Pokémon theme they came up with was okay. But remember how compared to the sub, they changed onigiri to donuts? If you're changing Asian food to American food and doing the same with other things, that means you're trying too hard. But I think the Pokémon dub is bad too.

Years
  • So sorry for continuing a bumped dead thread, this topic fascinates me.

That said I have to say the 4kids dub was good, had some problems occasionally with script, but the performances especially in the later seasons in their run were really good. I always liked Veronica Taylor, Eric Stuart, Maddie Blaustein, Rachael Lillis, Darren Dunstan, Marc Thompson, and Wayne Grayson in the 4kids Run.

The Pokemon USA side (Taj) was bad, really bad. Whoever was in charge of voice direction didn't do a good job I'm afraid, as a kid I found most performances very unsatisfying and hard to listen to, even today I still can't ever get as much enjoyment rewatching the Battle Frontier, outside of the ugly lighting the season picked up in comparison to the start of AG, the voice acting had some of the worst performances I've heard of anything I've watched, and I can only blame how fast production was moving and the not so well handled voice direction.

After that point when DuArt picked up Pokemon voicing, the quality got so much better thanks to Tom Wayland being the best person to be in charge of directing voices, I will say it's hard for me to chose now if I like Veronica or Sarah as Ash's voice, because they are on par with each other really, without taking into consideration how bad was Sarah thanks in part of Taj's lackluster directing she got. I genuinely found the voice acting handled pretty well in the DuArt era, though I can't say for sure how it was handled during X and Y to Sun and Moon since I have yet to watch Pokemon from that era to say much.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    It's what I grew up with so it's fine to me lol, there's always going to be dub haters or just people complaining about literally anything

Years
  • I think the anime in general is pretty awful but I grew up watching the Indigo League dubbed so at least I have some nostalgia for that.

Years
  • I've never actually watched the sub, and I think the dub is fine, though I haven't watched all of the Kalos saga, or anything after that, so I can't say about the most recent seasons.

Back