• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen What made pokemon gold/silver so nostalgic?

Years
  • Now I love pokemon gold/silver as a whole. But I wanna ask what made them so nostalgic? Was it the game play value or was it the fact you could go back to kanto? Now im not bashing the games at all. But what does it take for a pokemon game to get nostalgic.

Goo

Fiction is an improvement on life
    Years
  • The term nostalgia describes a yearning for the past, often in idealized form.

I would say its because they arnt new anymore. 0.0

Emlam

Old School
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2010
    Now I love pokemon gold/silver as a whole. But I wanna ask what made them so nostalgic? Was it the game play value or was it the fact you could go back to kanto? Now im not bashing the games at all. But what does it take for a pokemon game to get nostalgic.
    I suppose you'd have to get the game into the right mood first, maybe play it some music from 2000, reminisce with it, read it the old Pokemon Handbook? Good luck though - games are notoriously stoic. :(

xPsychosocial

A girl with kaleidoscope eyes.
    Years
  • I remember first playing these games when they first game out, as a child they were the greatest thing I'd ever played. When I replay them I get the memories back to when I was a child.

xxChazxx

It's Been a While
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2016
    Quite a good question, perhaps it was the fact that it brought closure to everything. There were (I think) no loose ends at the end of the games (it was supposed to be the last, you know).

Maybe it was the fact that, with the inclusion of the PokeGear, modern marvels were first seen in the Pokemon World. This making things a whole lot simpler but at the same time more complex, just like this world at that time.

Over all, I'd say that it was the last Pokemon generation done right. After Gen II, the series lost a lot of it's charm and the rest is going fast.
    And maybe that's because as we age, we see things differently, but having experienced this already, we see it as we always had.

Years
  • Because Crystal was my first REAL pokemon game, I had played Yellow before that, and G/S/C was just an update from that and I loved it. I love everything you can do in those games too from catching the dogs to the bug catching contest :D Fun times when I was little.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2011
    Crystal is the one that's so nostalgic for me. I just thought it was so fun, loved the new pokemon, and loved most of the music and I guess I'm just reminded of the feelings I had while playing it as a kid, each time I play it now.

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    When I was little, my cousin had Crystal, and I remember trying to figure the game out. :P

Also, am I the only one who feels that the music was better in G/S than in HG/SS, especially surfing. They had a pure, sort of dreamy sound that was lost in HG/SS.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • The music, and the fact that it was a true sequel to the original games. And of course it's incredible storyline and Pokemon. Oh yeah, and the anticipation of playing a Pokemon game with a brand new adventure. I can still remember waiting all day for my Mum to come back from GAME with Silver. I played it for the remainder of the day/evening.

I think Pokemon Gold/Silver, Super Mario 64 and Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time are the best games I have ever played in my entire life.

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2012
    What makes it so nostalgic is that alot of people played it when they were younger, thus causing it to be 100x more awesome than maybe it really was.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Exactly.

It's sorta nostalgic for me even though I've never owned a copy.

This is because I had a go on my friend's copy of Crystal (it took him ages to get me into pokemon, by which time, everybody else was getting less and less interested), first thing I did was kill a wild Ledyba, I felt so proud, and he laughed. Then I discovered repels, flew and walked a lot, until all of a sudden, I'd defeated Red, and he was punching me for finishing his game!

Which is why I avoid Red in Hg/Ss....

Years
  • Probably because I remember playing the G/S/C games so well. I just fell in love with the Johto region and the games.

Ctrl.Alt.Geak

Swords Master
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    The music mostly. The pokemon games up until Gen III have fantastic music that always makes me feel good.
    Also as a child I would get very ill very easily so I would spend a lot of recovery time in bed eating soup and playing Pokemon, to me it made those times a lot easier to handle.

PokeLawry

Pokemon Master!
    Years
  • because it came out when i was like ten. :) My dad bought it for me a few days after it came out. (Silver <3) and i thought i was hot ****, being the only one in my class with it. ;) When i think about it, it makes me happpppy. Not being a show off, just that i had it, and it was amazinggg.

austy14

Cannibal
    Years
  • I remember getting my Gold version when I was 4, so I could just barely read, and it took me a couple months to get out of Elm's lab (please, don't ask...) but going back I loved how it had color, but basic. I'd known the original pokemon so of course new Pokemon was cool. And the music. I loved how they introduced a girl in Crystal, and since then I will just randomly be a girl in any of the versions (except R/S/E, I think May is ugly LoL.)

Fusionx

Capable Hacker
    Years
  • i think if you mean what made gold/silver so great is the feel of it. holding that gameboy colour, back in the day it was a whole new feel of game. it felt so advanced after playing r/b/y great story. the day and night was dynamaic but were getting older. and have seen it all before. thats why we dont have that personal touch with pokemon anymore.

Years
  • WARNING: WALL OF TEXT

I don't know where to start. xD I owned gold, and what automatically made it my favorite was it was gold. I mean gold was awesome when I was like 6. It was cool, shiny, and expensive.
    My first video game system was Game Boy. My first game was Pokemon Blue (though I prefer Red today) and I loved it. After I got the game, I started watching the TV Show, and it was awesome. The first episode, we see Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, and Pikachu, who were all in the first game as well. You also see a shiny bird flying through a rainbow. At that age you were wondering what it was.
    After all the hype of the first generation, here comes a second game with over 100 new pokemon! It was so surprising that there would be new Pokemon, and it was awesome. The new starters are amazing and equally as B.A. as the first generation's. It was in color, and the sprites were actually legible. You play through the game with a new professor, a PkMnGear, and new wild pokemon, like an cool owl, a spider, etc. Then you catch the legendary pokemon. If you had Gold, you caught Ho-oh. If you were old enough to be very observant, you were thinking "This is that Pokemon from the first anime episode!" and you caught it.
    Oh, on a side note, G/S/C had the first shiny Pokemon, and even a shiny Gyrados that you get the total opportunity to catch. A red Gyrados was crazy back then.
    You beat the Pokemon league. Your adventure was over. Or so it seemed, but you get to go back to Kanto! You got to experience the first generation with a new story, better graphics, and cool new Pokemon. Brock had more Pokemon, Misty had a boyfriend, and Koga's daughter had the gym. Everything was new.
    Now, I only got to the power plant before I lost the game on the beach, but I no-lifed Heart Gold and beat it completely, and it's just awesome.
    With all these surprises and improvements to your favorite (?) video game, what wouldn't keep this game in your mind for the rest of your life?

That's why. :P

Edit: How could I forget. A new place with really high leveled wild Pokemon, Mt Silver, awaited you. You went through puzzles until you saw a familiar figure. A boy in a red outfit was there. You walked up to him and he greeted you with "............. ............."
    If you had Yellow, you kept Pikachu, it's obvious. You probably caught Snorlax after getting it out of your way, and I'm pretty sure you collected all of the starters. You got Eevee from that guy, and if you had it in the second generation, you probably only played in the day and evolved Eevee... in the day.
    I'm sure there's at least one person who kept that team, and when they played G/S/C they were essentially fighting themselves. You can't beat that.

Last edited:
    Back