• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What mistakes have you made?

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    When I first played Red, I had a hard time going through Mt. Moon, and thought I might have missed something to the west (in the direction that led to the Elite Four). Rather than simply backtracking, I decided to restart my file to check out the alternate route. I wasn't thrilled to discover that I couldn't make it too far along that route, even once I got a gym badge, but it wasn't a major loss. As it turned out, the ladder that I had planned on trying next in Mt. Moon was the right one (I had missed it somehow on my first playthrough), and I could have made my life several hours easier had I known, but no real harm done.

Another inconsequential, early mistake, this time in Gold: I was trying to up my link battle win record (for no particular reason) by battling against a throwaway file in Silver. I accidentally hit run on both games, though, and ended up with a tie. The worst part is that I think I might have done it twice before I noticed.

The one I regret, though it wasn't entirely my fault (I guess I was a little too gullible), was falling for a Pokemon scam in Diamond and losing a shiny Rattata without getting my desired shiny in return. I did finally find another shiny Rattata on the GTS a year or so ago, so I guess I've partially reclaimed it, but I'm still bitter, and I still loath scammers.

Guest123_x1

Needless to say, when I first started playing the main series Pokémon games, with Yellow, I made many crucial mistakes on my earliest save files with that version. Among them are:
    • Frequently trying to catch other trainers' Pokémon, particularly those that couldn't be found in the wild in that version such as Bug Catcher's Weedles and Jessie and James' Pokémon.
    • Spoiling the starter Pikachu to the point where it got to Level 65 by the time I was to face the final Gym. By extension, also ignorantly trying to use Thundershock on Ground-type Pokémon such as those used in the Pewter Gym and by Hikers.
    • Running from battles from each of the Legendary Birds, as well as both Snorlax.
    • Wasting my Master Ball on a Farfetch'd after getting frustrated over it breaking out of my Great Balls.
    That save where I made all those mistakes got destroyed in the evening on Labor Day 2000. Since then, I've played each of my Pokémon games in accordance to what is generally recommended for players.

Hikarin

SOS Chain Overflow
    Years
    In silver and gold I didn't try and catch the red Gyarados. I just let it faint

I did this in HGSS, but I didn't do it intentionally... I threw a bunch of normal Pokeballs at it, all while spamming Hyper Beam on it... that was a bad idea. A year later, though, I restarted that file and got it.

Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2016
    On my black and white 2 file i had genesect victini keldeo and meloetta along with celebi manaphy and other legendaries i imported from older games, except mew since i never was able to get a mew event, i deleted my entire save file thinking all my legendaries where still on pokemon white, a few days later i looked to trade them to black and white 2 and was crushed to remember that i already did and erased that save file.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Back in gen 2 I heard a rumor that you can get a Celebi by training a Misdreavus to level 100 in a short amount of time. I hatched one, trained it to level 100 in less than a day and as you can imagine: nothing happened xD

Then there's also those small mistakes like confusing the hat of the gen 3 protagonist with white hair and for the longest time thinking Sharpedo has a tail.

Years
    In gen 1 I heard the rumor 'beat the league 100 times' to unlock something about mew or this kind of fake.
    I did the league a hundred times and nothing happened, just raised a full team of lv100

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I once go hunting for pokemon for Pokecommunity catch event and I spotted a shiny oddish, but I accidentally killed the shiny and it was most mistake I ever made

Razgrey

Excalibur
    Years
    In FireRed... Part two.
    I beat Zapdos to death.
    I beat Moltres to death.
    I used the Master Ball on Articuno, which I heard was the worst of the birds 6 years later.
    Mewtwo was caught don't worry about that.

So...
    I thought Gastly was Dark/Ghost.
    I had a Haunter trained up to level 50, expecting it to evolve into Gengar.
    I had a Kadabra trained to a decent level, expecting it to evolve into Alakazam.
    I didn't give a crap about Onix or Steelix.
    I didn't know about trade evolutions.
    I hate Safari Zone.
    I carry 99 bottles of Moomoo Milk at all times.

My other brother got stuck once when he got too scared to complete the final floor of Lavender Tower when he saw that it looked different.
    He's done that in other, non-pokemon games too and I had to walk fifteen steps forward for him to deal with it.

I base my Pokemon team on how they look, and also I like birds.
    Charizard, Pidgeot, Dodtrio, Gyrados, Articuno, Mewtwo.
    Other Pokemon were a Beedrill(Bugey), Murkrow, and Haunter.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
    It ins't an actual mistake but ... I don't know, I always thought Psyduck and Golduck were also Psychic-types, as well as Porygon and its evolutions... Porygon Z killed my Pokémon many times 'cause I tried to use Ghost-type moves against him XD

Years
    Just recently on Pokemon X got a stupid Paras in a wonder trade and put a lucky egg on it to evolve it into Parasect for the sake of the Pokedex. Released it with the lucky egg still on it.

Back