• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Pokemon seems the most villanous to you?

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2012
    I'm planning on writing a Pokemon Fanfic, Mystery Dungeon Style where all the characters are Pokemon, but I was wondering who should be the villain. Which pokemon seems to fit a villainous role to you?

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Short answer because I'm totally not ninjaing or anything:

Sometimes, the best villains are the ones that aren't what one would strike as villainous. For example, if you introduce a cute and fuzzy Jigglypuff, your readers may or may not realize immediately that this same Jigglypuff is a sociopathic serial killer. The twist adds a bit more of a shock, which would make your plot more interesting.

This, of course, is only one option. I'm just saying that in order to create an effective character, you'll want to start off not by asking yourself what would best fill X role but instead asking yourself what that role is. To be a bit clearer, it's hard to give you advice on what Pokémon to cast when not all Pokémon would be a good fit for the role you have in mind. For example, Tyranitar might be a great idea for an overlord kind of villain, but what if you actually wanted a stealthy thief as your villain? That'd be a role better suited for Sneasel. What if you actually wanted something a bit more godlike? Cue entire list of legendaries. Think of what you want your villain's motives and techniques to be, and that should help narrow down the list of what Pokémon you'd want to use.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    Maybe. Depends on if you want your villain to create illusions to trick their opponents, or if you want your villain to use other kinds of tricks. Also if you want your villain to work alone, because Zoroark tend to live in groups and like working together with others of its species.

Really, it depends on what you need your sneaky villain to do. Zoroark create illusions to protect itself and its territory. Sneasel, for another example, are sneaky because they're thieves. So your choice of Pokemon for your villain still depends on your plot.

(Also, is this really a Mystery Dungeon style fic? Or is it just "the humans turn into Pokemon randomly" fic? Because there's a difference between the two, and I'm curious which one you're going to go with.)

Azurne

The Local Trickster
    Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2011
    Just wanted to chime in that you're also not necessarily limited by the artwork of the Pokémon. If you're going with Zoroark for example, he/she might be missing an eye from some sort of accident, maybe have a thinner and darker mane, or have more of a goblin-like face than some of the other Zoroark. On the contrary, he/she might be smaller and appear less threatening. Really depends on what you're going for.

I agree with Jax also on the point of figuring out what your role is. Just claiming that you want your villain to be sneaky and cunning isn't enough for us to help you decide. Everyone has the capacity to be sneaky and cunning, just as all Pokémon have the ability to be villains. You can get pretty darn creative in this department if you open your mind to other Pokémon and not just the ones that look like villains.

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2012
    Mystery Dungeon. Pokemorph is ew.

This Pokemon definitely won't work alone, in fact he'll be the leader of a small group of evil doers, so that fits Zoroark in a way. His illusion powers could be used to deceive his followers, but I wasn't planning on anything like that.

Nimblethumbs

my name would look hot in bold
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2015
    Zoroark is your best bet.If you're intending on someone else, I will most probably say sableye, s a cronie or minion of zoroark. Right hand man.

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2012
    The plan is much more..eh, 'mystical' than the usual mafia role. Sableye is with the main character, the main character being a Pirate and I planned Sableye to be in his crew. Weavile Could make for a good one, but i imagined him on a different role.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
  • What Pokemon seems the most villanous to you?

well, when i think of mysterious i usually think of these..
    and Clefairy with the Moon Dance

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    Those Pokemon are mysterious, but some aren't mystical. Like Mime there. Mystical tend to apply more towards spiritual or religion. Mystery is more general.

Besides, it seems as if Zoroark is still the best bet, given that it's the only answer not yet turned down.

Also, to Willer, according to the plot synopsis you posted in the Plot Bunny thread, you aren't writing a Mystery Dungeon fic. Mystery Dungeon fics imply that you're following the basic idea of the Mystery Dungeon games. That is, exploring dungeons and going on rescue missions. Since you're writing a story where humans turn into Pokemon and go on a completely different adventure involving pirates and no dungeons, you're writing a Pokémorph fic. (The term also applies to humans who turn into Pokemon as well as the anthropomorphic Pokemon/human hybrids.) Just saying that you don't want to advertise your fic as a Mystery Dungeon fic if it doesn't follow the formula of Mystery Dungeon.

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2012
    Actually the dungeon exploring is 100% there, just not the mission aspect. But I guess your right since it's missing the mission part, cause there's really only one main mission that follows the entire story. Guess I didn't know what else to label it!

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Cofagrigus, personally. It's a freakin' sarcophagus, that's why!

Sarcophagi aren't necessarily evil, though. It's usually what's inside them that could go either way. If you want to go with mummy/zombie movie clichés, sure, we could say that the dead body inside a sarcophagus is evil. On the other hand, if you're the kind of person who thinks dead body in coffin = potentially someone's grandmother, this, or this, then they're not so bad.

On top of that, considering Willer's looking for a Pokémon who could serve as a villain in a fanfic about pirates, having a sarcophagus be a villain might take some explaining.

theres a picture of them eating jasmine for heavens sake!

Except this never happened in canon. (In other words, canon would be the manga, the anime, the games, that kind of thing. What you're talking about is most likely another fan's drawing, which means it's not something Houndoom actually did in the officially published stuff.)

If you wanted to argue that Houndoom is basically a demon dog (horns, tail, Dark-type, general evil look to it), maybe, but then again, there was an episode in the anime all about how one decided to protect Togepi of all things. That and Karen, one of the characters who, in the games, was one of the few characters who actually preached all about the values of loving Pokémon, owned one herself. (That would probably imply that not all Houndoom are evil, considering one's trainer isn't evil, either, if that even makes sense.)

Then again, this argument (that certain Pokémon aren't necessarily evil thanks to the things that happened in canon) could hold true for a lot of Pokémon. (Zoroark, for example? Was actually trying to protect Zorua in the movie.) So, I guess you could say we cycle back to viewer interpretation there.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    This may just be from writing a seriously messed-up fanfic, but believe it or not, Mesprit is my official evil mastermind Pokémon. She just... yeah. XD I don't know. Any Pokémon could work as a villain in a fanfic, any Pokémon at all. Going right on back to Mesprit, she was the villain of a fanfic of mine a few years back, and that worked out relatively well all things considered. Though I really would like to see an Armaldo as a villain; they seem like they would work well.

Back