• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] What pokemon version is the best to hack?

Years
  • Hello everyone,
    which pokemon version is the best to hack?
    Is it important to have as much blocks in a tileset (Advance Map) as possible?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hello everyone,
    which pokemon version is the best to hack?
    Is it important to have as much blocks in a tileset (Advance Map) as possible?

First off, there is no "best version" but your best bet is to go for versions that are supported by many tools, so Emerald and Firered.
    If time-based events and the Battle Frontier are your deal, go for Emerald.
    If some custom features and lots of research are your deal, Firered's a better pick.
    You can pick anything version though, even the DS or 3DS games.

As for your second question, only add as many tiles as you need. You can have a maximum of 384 tiles in a tileset but you can only fit 640 different 8 by 8 tiles in a tilemap. so if you need a lot of different tiles, be careful on how you use your space for both tilesets and tilemaps.

scotchkorean27

Programmer/Pastry Enthusiast
    Years
  • It really depends on what you want your hack to do.

GBA roms are great in the sense that the state of ROM hacking is really advanced, meaning you have a lot of freedom to do lots of really neat stuff.
    DS roms are great in the sense that they already have a lot more stuff in them (physical/special split, pokemon, etc). Although you could put them in by hand if you're so inclined, it's kind of a pain.

So I guess if you have a really ambitious hack that changes maps and entire gameplay mechanics, GBA roms are best. If you want to do a purely story/scripting/tuning hack, DS is really going to be the way to go.

wolfboyft

Pokémon Generation 2 Hacker
    Years
  • I'm a Gold (second generation) hacker. It's got okay-ish research, enough to make a hack, a neat challenge (although sometimes frustrating) and is, in my opinion, the best generation. Has a lot of INTENTIONAL MISCAPITALIZATION though. Which is annoying.

COOLTRAINER (INSERT NAME HERE) sent out (INSERT ALL-CAPS POKÉMON NAME HERE)

But I'll be releasing a patch that fixes that soon enough!

Squeetz

ROM Hacker
    Years
  • I mean which of these two (Fire Red or Emerald) are the best to hack and have the most hacking possibilities?
    There is no 'best' game to start ROM hacking. As said before:
    If time-based events and the Battle Frontier is your deal, go for Emerald.
    If some custom features and lots of already made-research is your deal, Firered's a better pick.
    Just choose the one that you feel is right for you.

As for the 'hacking an already hacked ROM' question; I really wouldn't do that, unless you get permission from the original creator.
    But if it's ROM bases you mean, like JPAN's hacked engine or MrDS' Decap/attack ROM base, then by all means, go ahead.

Years
  • Thanks for your answer.
    I would go for Fire Red, but the only problem is the HM Dive.
    I know that it is possible to write a script, to get Dive in Fire Red, but I do not really understand this tutorial.
    Can you or anyone else explain me that?

Back