• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What qualifies as a "Pokemon Fan Game?"

Is my rom hack a fan game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JK0JK

JK is JK
Years
  • Hi guys!
    I have this project I've been working on for a while - a rom hack of Pokemon Emerald - and I've run into a bit of a dilemma.
    My rom hack has nothing to do with pokemon, I don't intend on it, but my question is this: is a rom hack with no reference or mechanics remotely related to pokemon still a fangame?

In my case, I'm using Pokemon Emerald because it is a good base for GBA programming, as well as a thriving community that can help me with any technical problems I run into; I've never programmed for the GBA without using the Emerald decomps, and this project started when I didn't even know that existed!

The game itself is a fan game of another franchise - Five Nights at Freddy's - and is a recreation of its mingame sections, as well as a reinvention of the story as a whole.

So, again, is a rom hack with no reference or mechanics remotely related to pokemon still a fangame?

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Voted No. How can something be Pokemon-related without containing any Pokemon, monster-catching, or any kind of mechanic from Pokemon? Shares about as much with Mario Tennis as Pokemon.

soulzzii

We don't wanna watch the news, we just read statem
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2023
    unless you can fight freddy and capture it, its more a fangame of five nights at freddy thats made with an Emerald rom as a base. wouldnt really make sense to relate it to pokemon in this situation imo.

Years
    • they / them
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    I'd say it's still a Pokemon rom hack just not a fangame.

Yeah, this is what I'd say too - interesting and related to Pokemon in that it is built off of a Pokemon game, but maybe not a "fan game". I'm no mod so don't take my word as gospel of course, but I think it would still be valid to post a thread for it in the Romhacks section when it's done? If that's what the question is about. (I'd ask a moderator directly though if that's your concern)

Back