• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What "Quit Moment" made you drop a large Pokemon Fangame/Hack?

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2024
    You're all familiar with "Quit Moments" as Josh Strife Hayes once talked about, right?

Maybe the game was unpolished, full of typos and bad grammar and clumsily characterized one-note cliches that go nowhere. Maybe it was a level curve that ordered you to start grinding for EXP, cash, or Game Corner coins before you're allowed to progress. Maybe it was an overly long unskippable cutscene with unbearably obnoxious characters. Maybe it was a poorly designed early-game forest/cave route full of empty space, uninteresting space-filling paths, bad balancing, and puzzle design that thinks time wasted equals difficulty. Maybe it was losing a dragged-out unfun battle against blatantly cheating opponents only for your victory to be ignored by the game deciding you lost anyway, or for RNG to ruin your day and force you to lose, making you endure an absurdly long run (or worse, walk) back from the game's starting location before you can make it back to where you were due to a lack of healing locations. Maybe you started a game and felt 2-3 hours of Tackle/Scratch grinding your starter against Harden-spamming bugs and Tackle-spamming Rattata and other nonchallenging powerless uninteresting nonthreatening time-consuming enemies wasn't worth it. Maybe it was some dialogue or story event egregious enough to make you reach for the Alt and F4 keys and shift+delete the whole folder from your hard drive. Maybe the Pokemon Essentials game was designed to crash if Cheat Engine was opened to SpeedHack the game, and the Rom was edited to crash or screw the player over if you decided to use any classic time-savers like rare candies. Maybe the game felt it was entitled to too much of your time for what it was, seemed to think you have all the time in the world to lose, and that caused you to decide it's not worth another second.

What "Quit Moments" in Pokemon Fangames and Romhacks caused you to drop them?

Days
    • Seen Dec 27, 2023
    The reason why i had a quit moment in a pokemon game is because there was no way you could rematch trainers.

No offence

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    The Fiore Mansion gauntlet in Reborn. It made me quit so hard I didn't come back until I finished Rejuvenation.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    kiki in pokemon rejuvenation, her field was broken and there was nothing i could do about it, beat her after they added the code to nerf her pokemon's iv's

Days
    • Seen Dec 27, 2023
    I dont understand why is there some fangames that dont have the rematch trainers option.

It helps to level up a trainers group of fakemon and allows it to take on other trainers and the gym leaders

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    Not sure I'd call these "quit moments", more like features and ways of doing things in fangames/hacks that I personally dislike and annoy me to the point I'll probably quit.

1. "Fakemon". Yeah, sorry to the people who spend time and effort designing them, but they're one of the main reasons for me to turn down fan games. I'm ok with them if there's just a few and are limited to special roles such as optional legendaries (as in Prism)
    2. Poorly balanced difficulty. E.g. boss battles everywhere constantly padding the game, gym leaders and other important trainers having full teams with competitive held items and broken moves for the early game right away, legendary/ultra beast/paradox/whatever spamming, grind forcing, etc. Not everything goes in order to make a Pokémon game challenging, difficulty needs to be fair and balanced reasonably according to the tools the players have at each given moment in the game, troll or grindy difficulty is just awful game design.
    3. Way too many fan-made edits on existing Pokémon. It's fine to give weaker Pokémon a small boost to make them more viable, but when they start to mess way too much with learnsets and typing changes... that's a big no for me.
    4. General lack of artistic quality (maps, sprites, dialogues, etc.), or being far too outdated in terms of mechanics (lack of PSS, fundamental QoL missing, etc.)

Back