• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What remake would you like to see next?

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    ANYWAY, I'd lIke to see Kanto again in some way. People say that they couldn't do it well because it's too vanilla, but I think they could alter it a bit if they really wanted to and make it really cool. Personally I don't think it should be 100% the same game over again anyway.

No, it shouldn't. "100% the same game over again" was exactly what FRLG was, and a lot of fans hated those games because of it. Most people would rather see a fresh take on Gen 1, especially since it would be a 2nd remake. Just taking the originals and slapping color on them won't work.

XD and Colosseum are not even on my radar since they wouldn't actually be remade, they'd just be remastered ports like Wind Waker HD was.

Unfortunately for their fans, I don't see the Orre games getting remakes anytime soon. None of the spinoff games have been remade yet, not even Gen 1 era classics like Snap and Stadium, so I wouldn't hold my breath for Colosseum/XD remakes. At the most, they'll probably get a Virtual Console rerelease, similar to what Snap got for the Wii in 2007.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Only because of a lack of good grinding areas and a slew of underleveled opponents before the E4. But, I, at least, try to reach L60, while you've said you charge in at the low 50s.

You're willingly choosing a medicine that makes them unhappy over alternatives that don't simply because of cost... Yeah, that's pretty sketchy, I have to say.

Wrong. What remake have we been talking about?

Breeding isn't the quickest or funnest thing in the world, but I've done it during the main game in GSC just fine. (And, in that Gen, you only really need to breed for Egg Moves, anyways.)

But, there were only 15 back then, so you were statistically more likely to get, at least, decent ones, and plus, you could max out the EVs in every stat, anyways.

Of course, I did most of my competitive battling in Stadium to begin with. Much better than 6v6 multiplayer, IMO.

The core issue is that Pokémon, by design, is not intended to be a competitive game, and yet, it accumulated a very large and very vocal competitive fanbase, so GF has found itself in recent years trying to cater the main games to a playstyle that they were never meant to have in the first place. (Otherwise, why would things like IVs and EVs be so hidden and complicated, or why would they place such an emphasis on "using your favorites" in the main story when competitive forces you to do the opposite?) "Gotta' catch 'em all" has taken a backseat to "Gotta' win 'em all."

But, you don't have to go through the trouble of planting and growing them, and they have names that, while unrealistic, are far more descriptive and easy to understand. ("PRZCureBerry" tells you exactly what the Berry does. "Cheri Berry" does not.)

Then, why do you seem to take so many issues with my playstyle?

The difference is that BW/2 had a ton of other content to make up for the lack of Berries. FRLG, on the other hand, did not. (Berries were only one of many things those games were missing.)

Johto had the bulk of the content in GSC, period. Kanto was nothing more than a postgame area. (And, 1 or 2 is still larger than 0.)
    Actually Gen V has less post game than III/IV overall.
    Also since GF made battling between players in Gen I they should've expected it to get competitive over time as battling tends to evolve into competition like in the story (Blue vs Red). Actually Pokemon has had competitive tournaments for awhile now.

Anyways to bring us on topic I think that the next remake will depend on demand and what ideas come to GF for a remake (like if they have more ideas for Kanto over Sinnoh than a Kanto remake will come next).

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Also since GF made battling between players in Gen I they should've expected it to get competitive over time as battling tends to evolve into competition like in the story (Blue vs Red). Actually Pokemon has had competitive tournaments for awhile now.

Actually, the official tournaments have only existed since 2009, or since Platinum version (which happened to be around the time that competitive battling really took off in popularity).

(The TCG, on the other hand, has had tournaments since 2004, but that's an entirely different game. Unlike the main series, the TCG was pretty much intended to be competitive from the get-go.)

Anyways to bring us on topic I think that the next remake will depend on demand and what ideas come to GF for a remake (like if they have more ideas for Kanto over Sinnoh than a Kanto remake will come next).

Possibly, although, it still makes the most sense to just remake the older game first.

Years
  • The official tournaments? Well in 2006 they had that Journey Across America event for Generation III, I know because I participated in it but I was a nub back then :P But as mentioned, the TCG is clearly something you do with others compared to the main series, which you can do yourself.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Actually, the official tournaments have only existed since 2009, or since Platinum version (which happened to be around the time that competitive battling really took off in popularity).

You're speaking of the VGC, but I know there have been official tournaments as far back as before RS were released.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • You're speaking of the VGC, but I know there have been official tournaments as far back as before RS were released.
    RS? I think there were some taking place during RBY and GSC. They might not have been official but tourney play has existed even back then. I remember because one person recalled being in a tournament and the link cable came loose and both games went nuts.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • RS? I think there were some taking place during RBY and GSC. They might not have been official but tourney play has existed even back then. I remember because one person recalled being in a tournament and the link cable came loose and both games went nuts.

Google the name "Ian Garvey".

Years
  • Actually, the official tournaments have only existed since 2009, or since Platinum version (which happened to be around the time that competitive battling really took off in popularity).

(The TCG, on the other hand, has had tournaments since 2004, but that's an entirely different game. Unlike the main series, the TCG was pretty much intended to be competitive from the get-go.)

Possibly, although, it still makes the most sense to just remake the older game first.
    They're a company so whatever will make them the most money...though they have made dumb mistakes as of late (more than usual).

If Megas are used for the next remakes then I see Arceus and Mew having a strong connection to them out of all the other mons in their regions like Hoenn and Rayquaza.

This will also be a good time to make a prequel to the events of Gen I, as a prequel to that gen outside of I,III, and now VI would've retconed several stuff for the same reasons a Gen I remake post Gen VI will have to take place in an alternate universe. The prequel could come either before (maybe as Gen VII in a region between Kanto and Sinnoh), or after.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    This will also be a good time to make a prequel to the events of Gen I, as a prequel to that gen outside of I,III, and now VI would've retconed several stuff for the same reasons a Gen I remake post Gen VI will have to take place in an alternate universe. The prequel could come either before (maybe as Gen VII in a region between Kanto and Sinnoh), or after.

A prequel could be interesting. As for the alternate universe issue, the entirety of Gen 7 will have to take place in one unless every single game released from then on out takes place after XY (which many fans would probably not want). I hope Gen 7's main games just write off XY as a separate universe from ORAS and move on.

Years
  • A prequel could be interesting. As for the alternate universe issue, the entirety of Gen 7 will have to take place in one unless every single game released from then on out takes place after XY (which many fans would probably not want). I hope Gen 7's main games just write off XY as a separate universe from ORAS and move on.
    If GF skips out on remakes next Gen that may well be what they'll do, thus each timeline will be two gens or more. Actually even if ORAS in a seperate time they'll need to redo the timeline for a Kanto remake like they did in Gen III. Unless if the Kanto remakes take place is the same universe as ORAS while Gen VII shares the RS-XY one...but that'll retcon what Zinnia said...if only GF had remade Emerald or used it's story then there would've been little need for Zinnia to retcon what was said in XY (as she either wouldn't have existed, or her comments and role would've likely ended up playing out differently than they did). Of course GF could also remake Kanto this Gen and make the next Kalos game take place in the same time as ORAS and the Yellow/Blue remake and write off XY as being it's own thing or being part of the Gen III established line...

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Of course GF could also remake Kanto this Gen and make the next Kalos game take place in the same time as ORAS and the Yellow/Blue remake and write off XY as being it's own thing or being part of the Gen III established line...

I'd be down with that. Let the next two games Z and Yellow, with Z taking place at the same time as ORAS/Yellow and retconning out XY. That should, at least, repair the timeline.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    As much as I don't care for another Kanto remake, the fact that the Pokemon franchise will hit its 20th anniversary next year makes it obvious something like that is bound to happen. You don't go 20 years and not celebrate where it all started, so yeah, I do think another Kanto remake will hit.

I honestly wonder if they could do a sequel and switch out some of the Gym leaders for new characters, but then people would cry foul in their "nostalgia" if one of the old Kanto Gym leaders is gone. Even when Koga was replaced in the GS games with Janine they had him as part of the Elite 4 so he was still in the game.

Admittedly I'd find it funny if Kanto was remade and characters like Misty, Brock, etc. weren't in the game at all and replaced with different characters. It would be the greatest troll move. {XD}

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    I honestly wonder if they could do a sequel and switch out some of the Gym leaders for new characters, but then people would cry foul in their "nostalgia" if one of the old Kanto Gym leaders is gone. Even when Koga was replaced in the GS games with Janine they had him as part of the Elite 4 so he was still in the game.

Well, GSC dumped two of RBY's E4 members for new characters, and most people didn't complain (except me). Although, you could argue that E4 members are less important/significant than Gym Leaders (for better or worse).

Admittedly I'd find it funny if Kanto was remade and characters like Misty, Brock, etc. weren't in the game at all and replaced with different characters. It would be the greatest troll move. {XD}

That thought just gives me nightmares. Leave Misty alone! {XD}

Years
  • Would they really do something like that, taking out old Gym Leaders? B2W2 removed three of the old Gym Leaders and replaced them with new ones (albeit keeping one of the badges, but not many people even think about that as new). There are always things like that they could pull.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Would they really do something like that, taking out old Gym Leaders? B2W2 removed three of the old Gym Leaders and replaced them with new ones (albeit keeping one of the badges, but not many people even think about that as new). There are always things like that they could pull.

Well I was thinking of a sequel set in Kanto, not a remake of the old games exactly. As you said, something like maybe 3 of the Gym leaders replaced with new characters while the other 5 remain the same.

Something like Blaine retiring and a new male Gym leader taking over Cinnibar Gym in his place. Obviously Viridian would have no Giovanni or even Gary (assuming he moves on to), and have a new guy there.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    I hope they do a remake of Kanto but not the original story. Have it take place in kanto but different time, maybe a prequel or sequel to the original gen1 game.

Years
  • I hope they do a remake of Kanto but not the original story. Have it take place in kanto but different time, maybe a prequel or sequel to the original gen1 game.
    People argue that ORAS is the least remake-like of the games thus far but if that 'remake' you're talking about is made then that will take the crown...especially a prequel or sequel as that wouldn't be a remake...at all...

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2015
    Personally, I would specifically want Pokémon Yellow remade. Kanto needs a full on remake for the newest consoles (not just HGSS' postgame) and since we've had FRLG, I think Electric Yellow (or whatever they want to call it) would be a better option. DPPt seems too recent, you can still play it on a 3DS.

Also, who DOESN'T want to see the graphical upgrade in yellow? With Pikachu following you, checking how he is, Team Rocket turning up (I'd love JJM to get their own mini-cutscene in a Yellow remake)... hell, if they put a bit more emphasis on TR/Mewtwo, I'd love to see some of the events that could occur there.

Back