• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What subject matter do you want to see more of in movies and TV?

Years
  • We all have things we're tired of seeing over and over, but what would we like to see more of, or perhaps see for the first time? Do you want more time-traveling film-noir detectives struggling against the future collapse of society? Some romantic films with pirates and the naval officers torn between their love and their duty to the crown? How about dark, horrific monsters stalking small towns with only a few brave children left standing in their way?

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • Do you want more time-traveling film-noir detectives struggling against the future collapse of society?
    YES. is this something that exists?

also I loooooove the "kids hunting monsters stalking small town" idea even though I'm pretty sure the idea that suburbia is hiding some dark secret in the form of a supernatural thing has been tread a lot. I still want more. unfortunately I'm having trouble coming up with anything else, all of my aesthetic concerns are covered pretty extensively if I do enough digging. I'd love more TV that's just off-beat in general, though. I'm holding out hope that the Twin Peaks revival might spark more production companies to do Outwardly Bizarre Shit considering that the TV landscape is far less conservative than it was in 1990 when it was first airing, but I don't think that's going to happen. STILL. a man can dream.

Years
  • YES. is this something that exists?

Not as far as I know, unfortunately. I'm sure something like it exists out there somewhere though.

And don't give up on your dream. Stranger Things seems to have been a great success and there have been plenty of off-beat comedies and dramas so you just have to hope for some crossover between the two ideas.

User19sq

Subject matter in its purest form, I'd like to see superpowers. But not anything we've already seen on an annual basis, like Marvel or DC stuff. Maybe throw something else into the mix; a completely new movie/idea, without any previous subject matter to build off from, to break the shackles of traditional superpower characters. Maybe not even heroes vs. villains. Chronicle (and Donnie Darko, if it counts) was a pretty good example.

Also, some more deserving adaptations. I think the story of The Dear Hunter would fair incredibly well on AMC, and I would sacrifice my wallet for a live-action adaption of the Punch-Out!! series!

Her

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    personally i just don't think there's been a decent replacement for desperate housewives since it went off the air in 2012 and i'm appalled by that

i'm a huge fan of bojack horseman - the dialogue, voice acting and plot alone make it worth watching, but the ability to be as uncompromising as it needs to be about the subject matter is the true draw. being able to explore the human...anthropomorphic...whatever condition without creative restraint is amazing. being held accountable by the money-making restrictions of most other tv mediums is something i can't wait to see decrease over the years. the age of netflix is but the beginning of the golden age of television, in my opinion. while obviously the true goal of any provider is to make a profit, we're now able to engage with the provider with less and less cost to artistic integrity.

let the age of fuller house wash away the bones of those who have fallen, for we now stand on new ground!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I want to see a hentai show running for a whole ~25 episode season. I'm fine with 3 episode animes and wish the nonlewd ones were generally that short, but I'd still like to see a series of a more conventional length that has a serious story and only a ton of incidental sex just because that's something people do, and there's no reason to exclude it because unlike the basis for the 'nobody poops' trope it's actually something a lot of people tend to enjoy watching.

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
  • In terms of my guilty pleasure (if there even is such a thing); I'd love to see some more cheesy, American high-school romance films. If anyone has suggestions then I'm all ears! I think I've seen every single one featuring Freddie Prinze Jr though, so that ticks a lot of them off hahaha.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    In terms of my guilty pleasure (if there even is such a thing); I'd love to see some more cheesy, American high-school romance films. If anyone has suggestions then I'm all ears! I think I've seen every single one featuring Freddie Prinze Jr though, so that ticks a lot of them off hahaha.

I watched She's All That for the first time a couple of days ago, and I'm amazed at just how this film defined so many tropes in the cheesy, American high-school romance genre while simultaneously dooming said genre for a generation at the same time. It really is one for the ages.

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
    Years
  • I'd definitely love to see more adult animation that isn't super-raunchy a la South Park or Family Guy. I know anime has a lot of that kind of animation, but western animation is sadly lacking in it.

I'd also like to see film adaptations of fairy tales that aren't either Disneyfied or Grimmified, and I'd like to see ones that stray from the usual fairy tale pool. I did find out recently that Germany has made quite a few live-action movies based on Brothers Grimm stories, but I wish other countries did ones for their fairy tales as well. France has a lot of amazing literary fairy tales but barely any movies made based on them (the only ones I could find were a film based on Beauty and the Beast and another based on Donkeyskin - both excellent movies but still not enough). Then again, French films tend to be pretentious and boring, so I could easily imagine why they don't do them.

Years
  • I want to see a hentai show running for a whole ~25 episode season.

This made my day and planted a smile on my face.

Me? WWI is where it's been at and people are just finally catching on to it. I love tech-noir and titles like Blade Runner! If it has lasers, chrome robots or dystopian futures, it's for me. Things like Logan's Run and Soylent Green and they're kind are some of my favorites. I enjoyed Children of Man and other futures where things are positively bleak. And chrome. Since when did chrome on robots stop being cool?

I guarantee you that if the Terminator was just an hour and a half long laser fest, people would still love the hell out of it. If your future takes place in some dark, distant future and a cop needs to investigate something it needs more Vangelis.

Spoiler:

Back