• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen What the heck, GTS!?

Kite [Argus]

Onion Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2014
    So, I've been carefully combing GTS for about an hour to find a 5 iv ditto, and I finally find something that looks somewhat reliable. It's asking for a Zapdos, and I've spent my entire day Masuda Methoding while I chase this yellow and black bird all over the dang country, so I finally get it. I decide to trade, holding my breath as I take it to the IV Judge, hoping that Australian people are reliable and...

It's got 2 IVs...

My spirits... So low right now...

Why doesn't GF at least let us check stats before we trade? This is awful, I'll probably never get one now without a shiny ;_;

Years
    Sorry, but is it even possible to get a 5 IV Ditto? If yes, how would one go about doing that? .-.
    (if it involves hacking, I'm not really interested.)

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    Why are you even surprised? :L

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Sorry, but is it even possible to get a 5 IV Ditto? If yes, how would one go about doing that? .-.
    (if it involves hacking, I'm not really interested.)

It absolutely is, EVERY ditto in the Friend Safari always has at least 2 IVs so mathmatically you COULD catch a 3 IV Ditto, or a 4 and so on from there. Incidentally, Every catchable unbreedable pokemon in X and Y all have at least THREE perfect IVs (Genderless pokemon do not count as they CAN be bred with a Ditto) meaning every catchable baby pokemon (Budew, Azurill, Riolu, etc) all have at least 3 perfect IVs even though they can be bred later. Best of all though? That means every legendary caught in Kalos ALSO has at least 3 perfect IVs. I didn't even know this and checked all my caught baby pokemon and sure enough, they all had 3 IVs and my Riolu had FOUR!

But yeah, getting back to the post, NEVER trade away anything you will miss.

Kite [Argus]

Onion Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2014
    It absolutely is, EVERY ditto in the Friend Safari always has at least 2 IVs so mathmatically you COULD catch a 3 IV Ditto, or a 4 and so on from there. Incidentally, Every catchable unbreedable pokemon in X and Y all have at least THREE perfect IVs (Genderless pokemon do not count as they CAN be bred with a Ditto) meaning every catchable baby pokemon (Budew, Azurill, Riolu, etc) all have at least 3 perfect IVs even though they can be bred later. Best of all though? That means every legendary caught in Kalos ALSO has at least 3 perfect IVs. I didn't even know this and checked all my caught baby pokemon and sure enough, they all had 3 IVs and my Riolu had FOUR!

It's not that I miss it, I had no intention of using Zapdos in the first place.
    I only use "Legendaries" so I can get good trades.
    This was nigh a good trade, nor one of my prouder moments ;_;

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2014
    I may be in the wrong place to ask this, but since you're talking about them... What's an iv, and why do I want more as opposed to less?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I may be in the wrong place to ask this, but since you're talking about them... What's an iv, and why do I want more as opposed to less?

Each of a Pokemon's 6 stats are all exactly the same as every other pokemon of the same breed, IVs (Individual values) are invisible numbers generated for each stat (from 0 - 31) so that at level 100 that pokemon has up to 31 extra points in each of those stats based on what their IV was. You can't change them, they are generated when the pokemon gets created. (although you can breed for them)

It's not that I miss it, I had no intention of using Zapdos in the first place.
    I only use "Legendaries" so I can get good trades.
    This was nigh a good trade, nor one of my prouder moments ;_;

I wouldn't use legendaries for "good trades" because you can use them for other legendaries that you do want. I ended up getting every Pokebank pokemon (and numerous hidden ability pokemon including the starters) using an Oshawott I got in a Wonder trade which I bred and got (amongst other things) a Slakoth and a Baltoy and mostly between those three ended up getting everything else.

Last edited:

Brane

-
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 10, 2016
    I managed to fish myself a 29 / 30 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 30 Ditto in the Safari which was pretty damn close. But you should never trust the GTS with that. The GTS is a horrible place sometimes, and some people are just foolish. Especially when they put their shiny Pokemon up asking for a shiny in return and get a standard one.

I'd stick to trading with trusted people for good IV Pokemon. There are some diamonds in that rough, but you have to shift through a tonne of dirt to get to it.

At least it's slightly better now then before, when people were asking for Legendaries for everything they put up.

Kite [Argus]

Onion Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2014
    I wouldn't use legendaries for "good trades" because you can use them for other legendaries that you do want. I ended up getting every Pokebank pokemon (and numerous hidden ability pokemon including the starters) using an Oshawott I got in a Wonder trade which I bred and got (amongst other things) a Slakoth and a Baltoy and mostly between those three ended up getting everything else.

I don't really want any Legendaries, and nobody with a 5IV Ditto is going to have trouble getting anything in pokebank, so...

Years
    It's almost a shame that you can't breed Dittos with Dittos for IV. It's also kinda funny when you think about it. I mean, where do Dittos come from in the wild?
    Yeah I know about the whole 'Dittos are failed Mew clones' theory but really, how many failed experiments could there be? SOMETHIN'S NOT RIGHT HERE.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023

Its actually a specified Egg Group. The undefined/Unidentified/No Egg Group, which does consist entirely of Baby Pokemon, Legendary Pokemon, and Nidorina/Nidoqueen (both of which also get 3 IVs...at least Nidorina does as she's catchable in the game). Genderless unless noted by the No Egg Group have egg groups that they belong to.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    IVs range from 0 to 31, so there's a 1 in 32 chance each time to get one in a stat from friend safari...

2IV = guaranteed
    3IV = 1 in 32 chance
    4IV = 1 in 1024 chance (I caught one within thirty Ditto in the Friend Safari, so it's doable)
    5IV = 1 in 32,768 chance
    6IV = 1 in 1,048,576 chance

You are guaranteed 3IV in a chain of Ditto at the 40th chain and beyond, so you could get a 5IV Ditto with a 1 in 1024 chance (doable, somehow!). So, I suggest chaining in the Pokemon Village if you want a 5IV Ditto yourself.

Regardless... Very rare to see a perfect Ditto owned in XY, and they sure won't ever be worth a legendary on the GTS. That is an infamous way to mass gather legends and scam strangers. Avoid it at all costs.

Don't bother with the GTS. Try trade communities where reputable traders can help you get some of the baby Pokemon rather than a very rare Ditto, at least.

It's possible to get a 5IV Ditto from a previous gen, where someone manipulates the game's random number generator sequence by hitting a seed and advancing the frame to encounter a perfect Ditto. These could go for cheap if anyone is cloning them in the previous gen, transferring them from Pokebank to XY, and helping out people. Still very rare right now since Pokebank delay...

I got free twentyfold more good Pokemon from Wondertrade > "claims" on GTS

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Its actually a specified Egg Group. The undefined/Unidentified/No Egg Group, which does consist entirely of Baby Pokemon, Legendary Pokemon, and Nidorina/Nidoqueen (both of which also get 3 IVs...at least Nidorina does as she's catchable in the game). Genderless unless noted by the No Egg Group have egg groups that they belong to.

Are you sure? Because Ive never bred a pichu with a single 31 IV yet (and I specifically didn't have the Destiny knot in order to try and get them) I've only ever seen them on the ones that are caught in the wild.

Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2014
    That sucks; The fact that on GTS you can't even see a summary of what pokemon you are trading for is incrediably stupid. THis is the third game that gamefreak has done with the GTS in place its time that they get thier junk together and get the GTS right.

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2020
    Lemme put it this way:
    Most folks would ask for Yveltal in exchange for Magikarp.

Should you trust GTS? Nope. It's full of buffoons asking for unfair or impossible trades.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    That sucks; The fact that on GTS you can't even see a summary of what pokemon you are trading for is incrediably stupid. THis is the third game that gamefreak has done with the GTS in place its time that they get thier junk together and get the GTS right.

to be perfectly honest, this would make the gts grind completely to a halt. While I do agree completely we should be able to see a summary of the pokemon we trade with friends, on the GTS that would be incredibly limiting. You can disagree all you want, but how many times have we all been ont heir looking for a particular pokemon, find it, only to discover they ONLY want a (for example) male charmander between levels 11-20, and we have 50 charmanders but all the ones between 11 - 20 are female, and all teh males are level 10 or 21+? having MORE limitations on the GTS would just clog up the systems and eventually no one would be trading on it anymore. (Oh, you want a level 23 exactly Darumaka with an Admamant nature, it's hidden ability, stats ranging between this and this, and holding a Fire Stone? Sure, I have one of those just lying around!) Don't use sites like this to gauge the pokemon community, the vast majority of people don't actually care about the natures or stats as much as they care about getting just that one particular pokemon they really really like, or because they want a pokedex entry or whatever. The GTS is geared to get you the pokemon you want, not an incredibly filtered net of crosshatching conditions to get EXACTLY what you want. You found the pokemon and now if you want a particular nature or IV spread or moves, then you need to work for it. That's what every pokemon has been about. Do they make all wild pokemon level 100 with 31 IVs in every stat and a competition ready move set or do they just provide you with wild pokemon with random natures and stats and then it's your job as the trainer to build them up the way you want them? That's what the GTS is an extension of.

Having said that, there is one feature I wish the GTS had and that is when you HAVE a pokemon and you see what you can get for it (So you select one of the pokemon you have, then you get a list of other people that are looking for that pokemon and you choose out of what you can get for what you are offering)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    I'm not trying to sound like a dick (even though I am one) or trying to rub it in, but this is hilarious.

Kite [Argus]

Onion Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2014
    I'm not trying to sound like a dick (even though I am one) or trying to rub it in, but this is hilarious.

Yeah, me and my friends have pretty much just made a running joke out of it by now.
    Because half of us are MMing currently, there are about 3 boxes full of pokes with names insulting Scott from Australia.

I've been pestering the guy for about an hour by spamming "nice" and battle/trade invites as he is in my acquaintances.

Back