• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen What "Traditions" Will You Break in X and Y?

MeerFall

Strong, Competitive, Cool!
Years
  • There are alot of things that will be broken when I play x and y

1. At my current situation I would play all the pokemon games alongside my twin but my twin does not plan to pay for a 3ds or get the pokemon game as she is not conviced by them. So it looks like I will be playing this game alone.

2. I always get the water starters but I don't like Froakie so instead I will be getting the fire type fennakin.

3. I usually play on my dsi with it's pokemon strap and (broken) pokemon stylus. Instead I will be playing it on my 3ds with the (broken) pokemon stylus, pokemon strap and reshima keyring (with the pokemon ball casing tied on)

4. (maybe) I usually name most of my pokemon but I think things are going to be slightly different. I might not name my starter pokemon.

5. (lastly) Instead of deciding with my twin who get which version. For the very first time I might have to choose a version*. (At the moment it might be X) Ever since our first pokemon games (except platium) me and my twin have choosen a version and because she won't get a 3Ds, I will have to continue the adventure along.

*If I get both version I will not find the time to play both nor will I have the money nor will I have a certain parental figure supporting me.

I hope change 1 and 5 never come to be, as I will NEVER enjoy pokemon ever again :disappoin

Cavalreaper

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
  • For the past three games I've chosen grass types (Turtwig and Snivy), but this time I'll be picking Fennekin. I'm not sure if that counts as a tradition or not. This will be the first game where I won't know any of the Pokemon spawns (outside of the starters) until I start playing.

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    I normally go for the second game (Sapphire, Pearl, White, White 2) but I think I'll go for X.

I'll catch Pokemon that evolve before level 30.

Years
  • I don't really have any traditions. I always use different starters. I always have a different team.

I guess what I do do is that I try to make my pokemon pure one type. I also train them all to be around the same levels. I don;t really have those HM pokemon. :/
    I'll see when the game comes out.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
  • I think my biggest tradition is always picking the Fire starter for my first playthrough. Guess I'm going to break it by choosing Chespin!

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • I want to start off immediately with a Nuzlocke. Be a big man.
    You just reminded me, I've never taken on a challenge in all of my years playing Pokémon. I'm hoping to break that tradition with X/Y. Doing the NuzLocke Challenge right off the bat would certainly give players a feel for some of the new Pokémon, so that's actually not a bad idea you've got there.

archard93

Passionate Trainer
    Years
  • I might break my tradition of using a team of six pokemon, it might be more of a challenge to pick maybe three pokemon and leave the other three spots empty or for HM slaves, but not for battling, at least until I beat the E4, but that might completely change when all the new pokemon have been revealed.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Traditionally I buy both versions and trade for all 3 starters then use all 3 for my first game - I had 2 GBCs, 2 GBAs and I have 2 DSs - one DSi that I got cheap on eBay, one DSi XL that I use normally.

Definitely not shelling out for 2 3DS XLs though, so I guess I'll probably discard my starter straight away and wait till I can get a second cheap 3DS before using all 3 starters on my 2nd playthrough of the 2nd version.

Like the OP though I've got into nicknaming my 'mons because of Nuzlocke though. In fact I might even break tradition and go with a blind Nuzlocke run for my very first Gen.VI run - normal games really don't have the same appeal once you've Nuzlocked a few times. I've 'locked Gens 1-5.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2014
    For the first time, I'll be using 6th gen Pokemon. I know, I should've a long time ago, but I'm excited to break my tradition of only using 5th gen and before in the previous games...
    /troll

IDK I can't know for sure until I know what Pokemon are available. I always have to check the habitats before I start catching any Pokemon, because I like to build my Elite 4 team from the very beginning.

Vanilla Twilight

❤Kitty,Kitty,Kitty! Nya~❤
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Feb 21, 2014
    Well I usually choose the best looking pokemon so now I'm choosing the 'not best' looking starter o: :3

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
    Years
  • Probably, not ship it from Japan. With this global release, and the fact that it's now localised to the 3ds and Region locked, I might as well buy it from the store.

Cassiopeiia

Floating
    Years

• Aww that sounded kind of sad, I hope you'll have fun nevertheless. ^^ Hopefully your sister will realise how grave a mistake she's made and change her mind.

As to what I'm going to do, with both Pearl and Black (my first 4th and 5th gen games respectively), I had sneak-peaked at the general layout of the region, the Pokédex and the storyline before playing them. So I pretty much had a rough estimate of what to expect, making the games a tad predictable. With X and Y though I'm going to try not spoiling these things for myself, as much as it'll hurt my inner perfectionist I'll try playing through the games like a common noob. *~*

I definitely don't have the will to refrain from checking out the new Pokémon, but as long as I avoid spoiling the rest of it, I should be good.

Back