• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What unpopular opinions about the franchise do you have?

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
  • Water is the best starter type, and the true best generations are anyone where the P/S split was available.

Years
  • I think that the battle system has gotten extremely stale and I'd love for it to be radically changed or for a brand new system to be created from scratch. Battling against npcs just feels mind-numbingly boring after a period of time and competitive play never felt rewarding to me.

Years
  • a lot of new battle mechanics are gimmicky and useless. i hated it when mega evolutions were introduced. i mean, i would like for it to be implemented for weaker pokemon but when they prioritized it for pokemonz that were already strong stat-wise then i feel like that's an oversight. z-moves too. super-saiyan pokemon version? they got it checked hahaha.

dynamax could join this list but since i've never really checked it out yet then i'll hold my opinions about it. i wonder how this would go in the anime :/

Last edited:
    Years
  • - My favorite Kalos starter line is Chespin.
    - Emolga is easily one of the best Pokemon.

Agreed with these points! Chespin is too cute tbh, I don't want to evolve him. And Emolga has been one of my top Pokémon since its introduction.

Also, I like the Best Wishes/Black & White anime saga. Sure, Ash may have 'de-aged' mentally compared to Diamond & Pearl, but I found it to be such a vibrant, fun series that introduced some of my favorite characters. I also liked the dynamic between the Pokémon.

Unova is best gen. BW had the best plot of all Pokémon games, and while BW2's story may not have been anywhere near as good, it made up for it with a lot of cool new content.

I like Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee.

Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 2, 2020
    - red is overrated. he's not that hard.
    - bidoof/bibarel, trubbish/garbodor, and vanillite/vanillish/vanilluxe are adorable, you are all just mean.
    - hoenn doesn't have too much water, you spend the first half of the game on land and the second half mostly in water and it makes sense for a game that deals with the balance of land and sea.
    - i like megas but think majority of them could have been regulated to just a standard evolution (mawile and audino especially).
    SAY. THESE. LOUDER.

-Spin-off games are better than the main series ones! (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games are truly superior!)

-Samurott and Primarina are the best water starters.

-Dawn is and will always be the most riveting, most superior female character to exist in the pokemon anime universe.

-Grass , Bug, and Ice types are WONDERFUL and deserve so much more love!
    Finally! Someone agrees that Grass, Bug and Ice types are amazing!
    - The filler in Sinnoh was super enjoyable and added to the feel that it was a long adventure, making the departures all the more heartbreaking.
    - I actually enjoyed the route to Snowpoint, it felt like a challenge to navigate and actually realistic to how the journey would be in real life!
    - Some of the english anime openings > their japanese counterparts. There. I said it.
    - ALL of the spin-off games have good qualities and a lot of entertainment value.
    - The only "friendly" rival I've truly hated is Serena/Calem since their character is so flat. May/Brenden were a breath of fresh air, Barry always felt like he was one step ahead of you, especially having beaten all the gyms before you except Sunnyshore (THAT felt like an achievement!) and Hau was just a fun and energetic presence that honestly was kind of infectious!
    - Ash is actually a pretty deep and well rounded character, sure he's a bit stereotypical but the levels of care he has for people and pokemon are complemented by his reaction to losing major battles, he feels like he let them down, almost like he put in all the work to show they were "worth" it and he failed. Plus, I think everyone often forgets his stubborness, dimwitted-ness (that, although blown out of proportion in BW wasn't as major of a character change as everyone made it out to be) and gluttonous nature.
    - Grubbin >>>>>>>> all other bugs, you can't change my mind.

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2020
    Gen 3 is the best gen for me.
    Sableye is just the best ghost type.
    Gen 4 is no doubt great but it is impossibly slow. Getting through the starting bit just to get a pokemon from the prof feels like I wasted an hour of my life.
    I dislike Gen 5 making half of the region postgame.

Gen 1 starters are great.
    Gen 2 starters are good to okayish. Grass one is meh.
    Gen 3 starters are awesome.
    Gen 4 starters are good except infernape.
    Gen 5 starters are just horrible.
    Gen 6 starters are great, although greninja is kinda overhyped and has recieved the most love.
    Gen 7 starters are nice.
    Team Sobble all the way.

I prefer the-not-so-world-ending-plot for my legendaries, i.e., I dont want that space and time ending stuff and all like in gen 4,7 etc. I prefer the more "localized" legendaries events like gen 5, gen 2 etc. Gen 3 is kinda odd coz it is regional but also kinda super big deal...
    Mystery dungeon series is awesome and deserves more recognition.
    I always disliked how pmd does not allow me to switch leaders from get go.
    Gen 2 is kinda overrated.
    I still dont get the fuss about whitney destroying everyone with her milktank... she is not really super hard.
    Ice types are just plain horrible.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    All Pokémon should keep their animal growls and be unable to speak.

I definitely agree with this. I know it's a kid's show and they need to humanize the Pokémon somewhat, but having them say "Va vaporeon vapo" in a human voice is rather off-putting.

Also I don't like Pikachu. Just putting that out there.

AlolanRattata

The Music Meister
    Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Brock's stupidity with every female character is useless and uninteresting.
    I want to hear more about his family and who the gym leader is while he's not there.
    ESPECIALLY his mother.

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2022
    I don't know if these are unpopular per say, they're just things I've seen across the internet that I disagree with

- The BW anime doesn't deserve the hate it gets
    - The Pokemon in the Kalos dex aren't that good. The best regional dex goes to Unova
    - Sinnoh dex is also really good it just needs a few more native Fire types
    - The Hoenn games aren't that good
    - Kanto is the most boring region and has no variety to it's terrain. It needs a proper sequel that adds more areas like a snow area, volcano, etc... If they did that Kanto would be much better
    - Pokemon Conquest is a great game that deserves a sequel
    - The move to 3D models ruined the charm of the Mystery Dungeon series
    - Mega Evolutions and Ultra Beasts would be really great concepts to explore in future games if they ideas weren't dropped

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2022
    1. People who complain about gen 1 being popular/marketable, are just as annoying as genwunners

2. Ash loves misty, ash loves dawn, ash loves may, ash loves serenawhotheflipcares, this show is about going on adventures with friends and magical animals...not romance. They aren't going to mature Ash, so there is not going be anything other than the tease of one to keep fangirls watching the show. There are plenty of other shows that emphasize romance, pokemon is not one. Now if the show aged with it's viewers? sure why not give Ash a relationship, but as it stands, not gonna happen.

3. Instead of introducing 80 to over 100 pokemon every 2 years, let's rework the pool of 800+ we have already. Tweak some stats, abilities, and movepools to make other pokemon able to compete, I'm tired of having to use such a limited string of options to not suck online. Look, I get it, if they all were special then none of them would be, but some pokemon are laughably bad in battle.

4. Charizard isn't the best pokemon..but being the best isn't why I and people from my day love him so much. Think about it from our perspective, when we first played the games there was ONLY 151, we didn't know what wpuld come after, we didn't have another 600 plus pokemon to compare it to like the younguns now have. But for many, charmander was our first pokemon ever, so of course we will have a solid attachment to him, he looked alot cooler than the other 2 in the perspective of a 6 year old boy. Would I love charizard if just became a fan recently? Probably not, but for many he was our first partner and an Icon for the franchise. I may come of harsh, but I find gen 1 bashing just as annoying gen1 worshippers

Last edited:

Vragon2.0

Say it with me (Vray-gun)
    Years
  • I've got a few more for yah.

1) Anime Poke shipping is pointless due to Ash's character.
    2) They should have made Pokemon Z before SM to give more time to make Sun and Moon more fulfilling
    3) Pokemon SM is the least good version

Years
  • Alright my turn. Let's list my issues with each Generation or Region.

Kanto: More than any other region Kanto is the one I find most guilty of padding, specifically in it's Routes. The Trainer:Route ratio is monotonous as all hell and the majority of the teams in the region don't offer enough variety to justify it... you could argue the whole West of Kanto is a complete waste of space to how little there is there besides trainer battles of course.

Johto: Generation II introduced us to Dark and Steel types and simultaneously made them the hardest type of Pokemon to attain in the entire region. Literally the only dark type you can get prior to Kanto is Umbreon as for Steels I hope you like Magnemite or bought Silver because Skarmory is only exclusive to silver and all the other steel types are trade evolutions.

Hoenn: Believe it or not I'm not going to sin all the Water in Hoenn... but I am going to sin how poorly streamlined this region is to navigate. It's not just the water based HM's but needing 2 different Hm's to essentially remove rocks ON TOP of needing 2 different bikes which force you to fly back and forth quite often to unlock new routes was clunky as hell. And the only HM the remakes fixed was fly which I personally had no issue with as it were a decently powerful flying move.

Sinnoh: My favorite region so there is bias I think the biggest sin is how underdeveloped the Distortion World was... don't get me wrong it looked cool but outside of one boss fight and a strength puzzle they really didn't do a whole lot with it. FINE, FINE the actual biggest sin of Sinnoh is having only 1 fire type line for the entire region which is a big sin.

Unova: Hands down the biggest sin of this region is the stupidly late levels some Pokemon evolve at in this game Rowlet, Fraxure, Pawnaired, Larvest and Deimo I am looking at you. It really discourages using any of these Pokemon in game.

Kalos: Just for the record I do like Kalos but... this game gives you so many absurd tools leading up to the third gym that even if Mega Stones weren't a thing Wonder Trading, The EXP share and the Battle Chateau (which BTW is the best battle facility we've ever had) make this game so incredibly easy that I think no-one would have trouble with this.

Alola: The most linear games in the main series, they removed HM's but kept their basic mechanics in tact yet in-spite of this Alola just really doesn't encourage exploration which is kind of sad honestly.

Orre: Remember how in Pokemon Gold and Silver how rewarding it felt to visit Kanto at the end of the game... yeah I can't help but feel if XD did the same and let us re-visit locations from the first game at the end it would've been way more rewarding and way less repetitive.

Back