• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What unpopular opinions about the franchise do you have?

Years
  • - Adjustable difficulty doesn't work in Pokemon games and B2W2 is proof of such. If Game Freak implements adjustable difficulty, it's just going to be in a really sloppy way that's not going to end up being that difficult at all, or at least not that much more difficult than what the games normal difficulty setting are.

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
    Years
  • I liked all the games and don't think any region or any game is worse than the others. They're all great and even if you don't like them or think they're trash, someone else does like them. I've enjoyed every game I've played up until this point and while there are some I've liked more, overall I've greatly enjoyed my experiences in all of them. A ton of work and effort goes into these games and I believe they should all be appreciated for that.

Also every pokemon design is great from the objectmons to the ultra beasts. A lot of thought and creativity goes into those designs and having tried to design pokemon myself, I understand how difficult it is. Like the games, I think they should all be appreciated and not hated, since every pokemon out there has someone who loves it.

Years
  • the main games are forgettable. it's the same one trick, one story with new pokemon put in them, and other words used for the gym badges.

that said, the spin off games actually do better for me (rangers, conquest, pmd, even magikarp jump ok, etc.) by giving you something else and broadening what you can do with the pokemon. if they put more effort into some of these games like how they did in pmd, it would be so good.

cutscenes are great. cutscenes tell the story. cutscenes make it feel like something awesome's happening, or something funny.

i prefer poffins (and making poffins via a simplified cooking mama) over pokeblocks.

ultra beasts (and zeraora) should have never been a thing. or if they had, at least made it so they wouldn't be encounter with all the other common wild pokemon. the stylistic differences is understood but it's just not... pokemon.

z moves should also have never been a thing. it's unnecessary extra strength that have limited name choices and the z crystals are only given to pokemon for fanservice.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    - The 3rd Generation of Pokemon was the worst in pokemon designs, story line, and game play. Fight me.

- Lucario is so overrated and the time they spent putting him into everything was incredibly boring.

- Z-moves, Ultra Beasts, and Mega Evolutions (even though I do honestly like many of the designs!) should not have happened and I fear will lead to the franchise's further escalation for player "power". Chess doesn't need more power or flare. Chess is chess and it's good as it is. Slamming the pieces down harder or more dramatically does not make your move more important or powerful.

- The anime does not need to be more grown up or adult.

- The Pokemon formula works.

- We do not need an Eevee evolution for every type.

- Pixel art brings charm to the games that 3D models never will.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    • Gen 5 is best gen in practically every regard, not just its story and characters.
      • For people who don't train Pokémon competitively, BW's postgame is better than Emerald's and Platinum's, because you still have almost half the region to explore (and the Trainers' teams are strong). (Note: this does mean HGSS and B2W2 have the best post-games overall, but I highly doubt that qualifies as an unpopular opinion.)
      • Gen 5 has fantastic graphics even to this day, even considering the battle sprites. Despite 3D models being able to have unique animations when casting attacks, the default poses are almost completely static for most of them, whereas the gen 5 sprites are full of life and personality. Having to zoom in and out on the sprites isn't all that odd.
      • The linearity of Unova works to its advantage because by naturally progressing players forward they don't have to break immersion as frequently with literal roadblocks or nonsensical scenarios. Most of their roadblocks go unnoticed, with the more "notable" one being from B2W2 where the shape of the region was branched out.
      • Being forced to use a Pokémon you may not like to traverse terrain is no better than being forced to put an HM on a team member to traverse terrain. In this sense, gen 5's handling of HMs, in which not a single one is required and can be used without need of any given Badge, is the best in the series, only competing with Let's Go's implementation.
      • Focusing on polishing old mechanics is far more ideal than spending time crafting a new mechanic such as Mega Evolution or Z-Moves only to drop them entirely in the next set of games.
    • You can barely tell that Kanto is "watered-down" in HGSS.
    • In terms of the 3DS games, I think the chibi style of gen 6 is more appealing than the more realistic proportions of gen 7, mainly because gen 7's region felt rather empty visually because of it and the textures on the people were not too appealing.
    • I would consider gen 7 my least favorite gen if it wasn't for gen 1 aging so poorly.
      • Gen 3 is kind of getting there because of all the mechanical improvements put forth by gen 4, but is not completely invalidated by remakes due to Emerald's features not being implemented into ORAS.
    • Lillie is slightly more tolerable and Lusamine a slightly better villain in USUM than in SM.
      • That being said, the handling of Necrozma (narratively; mechanically in terms of Ultra Necrozma are a whole other can of problematic worms) ruined what positive potential USUM had built up.

Years
  • When I think a lot of people criticize Gen 7, they tear it apart limb from limb and don't give Game Freak the time of day for what they actually did right, which is actually a lot more than one would think. Granted, these are mostly QoL improvements (actually being recognized as Champion for one, berry growing isn't a pain in the ass anymore?? The Professor is actually more of a challenge than past ones? Shiny hunting isn't too bad, Game Freak went HARD on the Hawaiian theme pretty much everywhere), but really important ones that I think past generations were sorely lacking.

I certainly agree that Game Freak went wrong in some instances, but the implication that they crashed and burned hard here is really misleading.

Vragon2.0

Say it with me (Vray-gun)
    Years
  • Pikachu losing to Snivy is plausible.
    level argument doesn't work since it knew leaf tornado. if we even assume levels are in the anime, not to mention the mudkip being kept around and getting stronger as a result back in Hoenn.

Emilia

~ free falling
    Years
  • - I dislike Red, overrated character.
    - I prefer B/W over B2/W2. (Though Route 19 - Fall in B2/W2 is the best Route Theme, along with Route 10 of B/W)
    - Barry is the best rival though.
    - My favorite anime series was Diamond & Pearl (I grew up watching it)
    - I kind of dislike Mega Evolutions.

- The best generations are 4 and 5.

YES also this 10000%

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2021
    - All generations have their flaws but I (kind of) like them all. That being said, Gen 1 and 3 are my favourites by far. Pokémon design wise, straight winners.
    Except for the initial design of the Pokémons I always found comparing the games kind of odd.

- I have no connection with the Gen 5 starters whatsoever.

- Don't like the Ultra Beasts concept at all.

- Even though I know why the difficulty is low, I wish it was harder when it comes to the core series. Unrealistic but that's how I feel.

- Whatever Pokémon core game it is, it's never tedious and always adicting.

TheEntireCombeeMovieScript

creeper, aw man
    Years
  • >Fairy type is honestly one of the best types in the game. (I know this isn't really that much of an unpopular opinion anymore but there are still people who refuse to go anywhere near Gens 6 or 7 because of the Fairy type.)

>Gen 4 is really hard to enjoy because it's so slow and also??? really hard????? for some reason????????

>The EXP Share becoming a key item that gives all your Pokemon EXP after a battle was really helpful.

That's all I have to say rn

Saphron

Suit Dragon
    Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2023
    Oh boy. I guess I'll sort it by generation.

I don't get the appeal of Vulpix and Ninetales.
    I don't think I like FR/LG that much. I have trouble getting into them.
    I do not like the whole Chikorita line.
    I do not like the entire Torchic line, and Mudkip and Marshtomp. Swampert is good, though.
    The games get kind of boring if I don't use a randomizer for me.
    Gen V is the best generation in my opinion.
    I don't really think even the games that are known for having a good plot have particularly decent or memorable stories. I don't play these games for the story, though.
    I utterly despise the Fennekin line.
    I found some of the prominent characters in S/M very annoying. I couldn't stand how bubbly Hau is and I just wanted him to shut up the entire time. I also wish Rotom-Dex couldn't talk.
    Incineroar is the only Gen VII starter I like. I'm... eh on Primarina and think Decidueye is ugly.

Last edited:

Pokedigifan1178

Most powerful being in fiction
    Years
  • My unpopular opinion is that I like digimon better than Pokémon.

I just think it's better in anime.

The new digimon games like digimon survive have a better plot than Pokémon.

At least digimon try's something new everyday while Pokémon is just repetitive

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2020
    greninja sucks and so does its shiny

bidoof is adorable and does not deserve what its been given

gen 5 is best gen

blaziken and infernape suck but emboar is AWSOME

the simis are awesome and when I make a fangame I'm going to give them a lot of extra love

gen 4 is worst gen. whenever im thinking about the gens im just like GEN1 GEN5 GEN6 GEN2 GEN3 GEN7 and...…. right gen4 exists

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • -Mega Evolution was a bad mistake.

-Z Moves were actually cool.

-Ash doesn't need to be replaced in the Pokemon anime.

....And that's it, really.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Well, let's unleash the true meaning of "unpopular":

- gen 2 is overrated, but
    - it's level curve was pretty neat, however
    - people don't seem to know how to utilize Pokemon's gameplay to its fullest, so for example
    - when they see a Pokemon with a higher level they prefer level grinding over coming up with actual strategy
    - in single player single use TMs are superior to infinite use ones
    - HMs are a good addition to single use TMs and can even serve as character traits
    - X-Items should be used, they are there for a reason
    - shinies are nothing special and certainly not better than your regular mons

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    -Cut scenes in generation 7 were MARVELOUS and added to the complexity of the Story!

-Spin-off games are better than the main series ones! (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games are truly superior!)

-Kanto is an insanely boring region. It all feels so monotonous.

-Pokemon Platinum is the best main series game to date. PERIODT. (Gen 4 all the way!)

-I dislike the island theme of Alola, I thought it was poorly executed and it felt like Hoenn was copy and pasted.

-Samurott and Primarina are the best water starters.

-Dawn is and will always be the most riveting, most superior female character to exist in the pokemon anime universe.

-Chesnaught and Delphox have more appealing designs than Greninja. (I still do like Greninja, though!)

-Grass , Bug, and Ice types are WONDERFUL and deserve so much more love!

-The ORIGINAL fire-type Ninetales has a better design than Alolan-Ninetales. (Love both tho!)

-Pokemon X and Y were splendid games, despite the fact that they possessed a multitude of issues (related to poorly executed characters, lack of story line, among other things.) I think they were some of the most interesting games and Kalos is the the most diverse, beautiful and unique region!

-Lillie and Hau weren't annoying in the slightest and they're great characters. (However, Kukui was a little over the top!)

-Team Skull was the WORST team ever. They were chaotic, had no structure, had no defined goals, seemed to act out individually rather than collectively and was essentially a bunch of lazy, cracked out kids angered at the world and lashing out. Also, their designs were atrocious. Thank u, next.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Vragon2.0

Say it with me (Vray-gun)
    Years
  • Time for some more controvers- I mean unpopular opinions!

MysticalNinetales is correct in the spinoff games being better than versions.

Generations episode 15 was the best one.

Gen 6 while had its issues had a much better immersion than Sun and Moon.

Sun and Moon, while being fine games, are the weakest versions so far for several reasons.

PMD Gates is on equal Plane to PMD sky though Sky is better content wise, Gates is better in a coherent story. Time travel doesn't work that way sky.

Dragon types are the best types.

Mega Evolution and Z-moves were too influential in their regions and thus have made them more gimmicky instead of a larger variety of content.

Hilbert is better than Hilda.

Gen 5 is the best. BW is best story, B2W2 is best content and replay value.

Lusamine in SM was better than USUM as a character.

The SM anime is animated fine, subjective views on drawings don't make it animated poorly.

any opinions on pokemon designs whether good or bad viewing is not enough of a reason to call a pokemon bad.

and for the closing crux:
    Grumpig > Lucario

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • - red is overrated. he's not that hard.
    - bidoof/bibarel, trubbish/garbodor, and vanillite/vanillish/vanilluxe are adorable, you are all just mean.
    - hoenn doesn't have too much water, you spend the first half of the game on land and the second half mostly in water and it makes sense for a game that deals with the balance of land and sea.
    - ultra beasts aren't cool or interesting.
    - alolan dugtrio is the best pokemon.
    - i like megas but think majority of them could have been regulated to just a standard evolution (mawile and audino especially).

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • I honestly think Pokémon XD and Colosseum are better than (most) of the mainline games. I think main Pokémon games should start coming up with more unique designs of gameplay other than the standard "collect 8 badges, defeat bad guy, win the Pokémon league" scenarios.

Back