• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen What was the first time you heard of G/S/C?

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2012
    I first heard of it when I was 8 and had no idea what Pokemon was. On Christmas, when I saw my Christmas present, it was from my uncle who lived far away, I wondered what was inside of it. When I opened it, I found out it was a video game "Pokemon: Crystal Version". A few years later, I eventually "knew" about it because friends and neighbors.

Last edited:

evilmagikarp94

Don't mess with Magikarp!
    Years
  • I remember reading about "Pokemon 2" in a magazine and they showed Cleffa , Marill (Known as Pikablu) and Chikorita I think. Couple of months later my mum came home with Gold and Silver for my brother and I.

Lord_Sesshoumaru

Not interested.
    Years
  • The first time when i heard about G/S is when I saw their commercials on TV....
    A few days later, my parents bought for my brother's b-day a Gold Version,
    Of coarse I had to borrow his gold version to try it out but I already know how to play it cuz I already had a yellow version(which was my first pokemon game)..
    When Crystal came out in stores, I immediately bought it for myself....!

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    I think I was about 14 or just 15 and I saw the shots in the japanese pictures of it. I got the japanese rom of G/S and had this abysmal patch for english langauge which was a mixture of english and random symbols , but I thought it was so cool (I mean colour,and better graphics were awesome compared to the blue edition (which I also bought from my pocket money which was left over from a holiday camp were I hardly spent any ^^)
    so must have been somewhere in summer of 2000 I think. lol it is a long time ago I can trememeber properly but I saved my pocket money and waited patiently for the uropean release lol and bought it a day before it was released and extra went into town by bike because my small village hasnt got a electronics store. ^^
    unlucky for my parents though that I hardly had any money left for their birthday presents ^^' that was a tad bit unlucky ^^'
    (and it resulted in my mother confiscating the game boy with the game when she found out that it was because of this game xD)

(btw we had ISDN Internet in 1997)

Last edited:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I believe I saw an article about it in my brother's copy of Nintendo Power way back when. Between the two of us, we already had the first three games, so... He got Gold and I picked up Silver.

xXI JOE IXx

I saw this Kid playing it on holiday once, this was like 4 years after it had came out. XD I had heard of it but never played it, and when he let me have ago I was amazed at the day and night features :)

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
  • In 2001, when I played my first Pokemon game, Pokemon Yellow. My cousin had Pokemon Silver, and I really wanted to play it, but he gave me Pokemon Yellow instead, since he couldn't trust me with his Silver.

The Fourteenth Doctor

The little... Daleks
    Years
  • i now remember the first time i heard of g/s/c, my dad had downloaded the pokemon gold rom for me as he had made his own emulator (can't remember how he did it) and i remember playing gold for the first time, i think the english rom had been leaked or it was before the uk release date

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2014
    I read about it in a magazine (I think it was called 'Pojo Pokémon' or something like that). I've still got the magazine, but I cut all the screenshots out when I was a kid.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • I just played it on an emulator when my dad bought a pokemon CD for me which contained a pokemon rom and an emulator. I never heard of pokemon G/S/C before playing that rom.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    Hell if I remember, I was just a little tyke. My friends had the merchandise, so I probably just wanted to keep up with the fad.

Years
  • I had a childhood friend who happened to have a Japanese version of Gold a little while before it came out here in the UK, neither he or I actually knew what the game was about other than knowing that it was a new generation Pokémon game, or in our puny little kid minds, a Digimon and Pokémon Crossover (how this worked, I can't even remember.) It wasn't until I saw a commercial about it on TV much later did I hear of its English release, but I had already played most of the game in Japanese to know how to get through most of the first half of it.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
    Years
  • I first heard of the relese of G/S when I saw an advertisement for it on TV. Growing up with R/B/Y, I just knew that I had to get it - so I faked being sick to get out of school, planning to play it all day.

My parents got it for me at 5 in the afternoon -.-

Zero°

Mirai Nikki
    Years
  • Pokemon Gold was my first ever video game. I got it for my 5th birthday, along with a Gameboy color.

Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2014
    actually my brother traded one of my favorite beyblade for silver and the game was for him and i was all like well i dont then after like some months he gave me his gameboy and silver and it was my first pokemon game i played

Back