• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What was your first reaction to playing HG/SS?

jolteon.

asdfasdfasdf
Years
  • First time I played gsc, I didn't even read the text.. or the couple times after. I just mash the a-button and travel around but somehow beat the games 3 times until I just memorized what to do. and I still remember these routes, where things are, and where to go.

All I could keep my mind on was how pretty they made this game. xD

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Pauldan00b, I understand 100%. I didn't think about it for the first bit, but then my dad walks in and says, "Wow, do you realize you've been playing Pokemon for over half your life?" And I was like, "Mind=BLOWN".
    Playing HG felt like when I started Crystal over. I was actually (less noticeably at this point, having aged some 8-or-so years since then) excited about playing a Pokemon game. I always love starting new games, but it was complete little-kid ecstasy for those first moments, facing Silver and everything. They got this thing right. Except for keeping you out of the Silph building and Kanto radio tower. That sucked. And then I remember finding out you couldn't get up there in the originals either, and the nostalgiabomb begins again.

Years
  • idk really what I was thinking. I was just taking in as much as possible. I was also thinking about looking at those pictures of New Bark Town last year, and how fast time had gone by.

TK of Poison

Old School Trainer
    Years
  • Seeing the title screen - "O. M. G." *excitement at the same title screen as gold yet redone to look amazing*

Inside my house - "I wonder if you can get plushies in this one..."

exit the house and see the wind blow - *Excitement again* "this is gonna be awesome!"

Seeing my rival at the lab window - "YOU!!"

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2023
    well I think of how much better technology has gotten I mean the Graphics are so much better, when I play my old firered games I think of how fun it used to be 6 years ago it reminds you alot of your past but i don't just remember playing the game I also think of trading with my friends and at school it was so much fun, there aren't many 18 year olds who play platinum so I just play that by myself now.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • I couldnt sleep the day before it came out. I was constantly waking up to see what time it was. And when i got it on the first day I felt relieved that I got it while it was still in stock xD

Rileyslucario

Brownie lover
    Years
  • A+W+E+S+O+M+E=AWESOME!!!

Though the first pkmn game I ever got was Emerald, I did get Silver at one point. This game doesn't bring back memories-the graphics are way too different to spark old memories. That and for some reason, in Silver I evolved my Chikorita while fighting Falkner, in SS I evolved Chikorita while fighting a guy near the pokleathon, and my Totodile while beating (I mean, EPIC PWNING) Bugsy. In HG....my Cyndaquil is still a Cyndaquil on falkner...XD.

Lt_Nite

GnR for life!
    Years
  • It was like someone took a giant bag filled with my childhood memories and beat me silly with it. Gave me teh chills.

Yoak

Pokemon Battler In-Training
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2012
    This was definitely worth waiting for.

orange discontent

pogeymans?
    Years
  • Well, it made me realize that nostalgia is blinding... The graphics are just too different, too many new 4th gen features, etc. They are still 4th gen games, remakes or not.

Not that SoulSilver isn't fragging amazing... but it's clearly a different game.

Butterfree-Charizard

Bug Type Master
    Years
  • Well I have quite a few issues with the kanto, but overall I really like it. I think they put alot work into it with little easter eggs and stuff that I always did like.

Jweeson

Pokemon Aficianado
    Years
  • I was very excited. I was 5 when I got my first silver version, and I am now 16. It's been a long wait, and well worth it. Sometimes it feels like a way different game to me... >.>

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I arrived relatively late to the Pokémon scene. Thanks to overobsessive parents, my first game was Diamond, a few months after its release. However, I quickly acquired at least one of each gen in either physical or software form. One of the games I got a ROM of was Gold. It felt cool to be able to play a piece of my childhood that I had missed, albeit on a computer. Then Platinum came out, and I forgot about Gold.

Fast forward a year. It's really something special to go out and feel a wave of nostalgia wash over you as you stand on line in a light drizzle, waiting for the Gamestop near your school to open their doors, conversing with Pokémon fans old and new alike, united in a common interest to play the new Pokémon games. I felt that way waiting for my copy of Platinum, and I'm sure I would have felt that way if I had been waiting for Gold as well. 'tis special.

Freak A

Back !!!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2013
    the game loves to crash i mean after goldenrod nearly unplayable

Caelus

Gone
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2013
    I felt good playing a game I haven't played in years (about 5 years, I think).

That, and the running feature, Pokemon staying behind you, and the improved graphics made the beginning enjoyable for me.

Aurako

Pokemon Communicator<3
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Dec 6, 2015
    I felt like I had fallen in love all over again.
    One of my favorite childhood games remade<3.
    Sheer bliss.

And once I began playing... drooling over the improved graphics was quite a treat.

Exon

Hacker in Training
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2010
    Well, I didn't get the "OMG everything is sooooo beautiful and nostalgic" wave that most of you seem to have gotten lol, however, I did think that graphically they did a great job....though I will probably never stop QQ'ing about the PC interface or the touch screen menu but I QQ only because of how they look. (I personally am not a fan of how the PC interface in particular looks. At tad bit...too....hmmm...cartoonish? for my tastes. But then again I absolutely loved how the DPPt PC looked so I may be a bit biased lol)

(Oh...btw...looking at some of your ages/comments make me feel so old lol)

Years
  • After previously playing the original Gold when I was younger, I felt;

a) Old.
    b) Slightly lame for STILL liking Pokemon as much as I still do.

But I was ecstatic! Sadly it came out the day of my Boyfriends birthday so I picked it up early in the morning, but didn't get to play it until 12 or so hours after that. Lol
    Very pleased with the remake. :)

Pika_Nest

Pika Lover
    Years
  • My Reaction ...hmm....

Well my reaction to playing HG/SS for the first time was well as always...Shaking all over my body an adrenilan(or however you spell it) rush going through my Pokemeter vains and an urge to rip through the AMAZING GAME!!

The Pokewalker..hmm... not so much (-_-)

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2023
    Pure nostalgia. I have enjoyed ever since minute of the 30+ hours that I've put into my copy of Heartgold. I think Game Freak did a real nice job with remaking the game and adding all of the extras (so many legendaries!!!!).

My favorite part of the remakes is the addition of GB Sounds that really brings in some SUPER NOSTALGIA!!!!

Back