• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What was your first reaction to playing HG/SS?

Years
    Pure nostalgia. I have enjoyed ever since minute of the 30+ hours that I've put into my copy of Heartgold. I think Game Freak did a real nice job with remaking the game and adding all of the extras (so many legendaries!!!!).

My favorite part of the remakes is the addition of GB Sounds that really brings in some SUPER NOSTALGIA!!!!

same here. gamefreak pulled out all the stops this time. it has to be the best pokemon game ever. yes ever.

MegaSlowBro.

泣かないで。
    Years
    I was giggling and pointing and squealing all the nostalgic things to my older brother haha =p We both had the Gold (his) and Silver (mine) versions, and I still remember sitting on the couch in my old living room, and crying when my battery died (on my Gameboy Advance) right when it was almost done saving. lol

Dudypokefan89

Gen II fanboy / Loving Nidoking rn
    Years
    I Love 2nd Gen, so this is great for me. couldn't get it when it came out but got it today and the awesomeness put me in a coma for...well, all day. i was pissed that i was knocked out, but catching up on lost time now... overall...i love it! i'm a hermit with games but i want to just take random walks around the city with my Mareep Shepard!

Dreadnought

Imperador
    Years
    Definitely was fun to go back to Johto, especially getting pokemon that were a ***** to get in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum.

Omega94

Experienced Swimmer
    Years
    Naturally, when I played Gold as a 6-year old back when it was originally released, most things went over my head. However, as I play Heart Gold now, all the memories come flooding back in, I remember each route as I travel along. The nostalgic feeling is incredible, and HG does an excellent job of recreating the experience for me, I love it! I also played Pokemon Blue when that was first released, but there's something about Gold that makes it much more important to me.

Some memories from Gold:

-Training a Jumpluff to level 85 after accidentally releasing my starter into the wild
    -Wondering why my level 72 Graveler wouldn't evolve, despite seeing pictures of Golem
    -Bug catching contest!

My current progress in Heart Gold:

Badges: 1
    City: Violet City
    Pokemon: Lvl. 16 Bayleef, Lvl. 15 Gastly, Lvl. 13 Wooper

*Yes, I do have a friend who I can trade with to evolve my upcoming Haunter into Gengar :-)
    **And that's with 6 hours 35 minutes played so far...I am taking my sweet time with this game and exploring everything possible.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    I never thought fighting a level 4 Pidgey could feel so awesome in both regions.

Also, 40 hours later, 14 GYM BADGES, and saved right in front of Ho-oh at level 70. I love this game, got 1 phone number of a GYM LEADER and have no regrets.

Years
    I was instantly reminded of the Christmas when I first got Gold. It felt like that again. Weird how that happens.

Well, I didn't get the "OMG everything is sooooo beautiful and nostalgic" wave that most of you seem to have gotten lol, however, I did think that graphically they did a great job....though I will probably never stop QQ'ing about the PC interface or the touch screen menu but I QQ only because of how they look. (I personally am not a fan of how the PC interface in particular looks. At tad bit...too....hmmm...cartoonish? for my tastes. But then again I absolutely loved how the DPPt PC looked so I may be a bit biased lol)

(Oh...btw...looking at some of your ages/comments make me feel so old lol)
    i'm right there with ya on the age comment haha

Last edited:

Leitz09

*studying to draw manga...*
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2019
    My first reaction was that the map is so compressed and small... compared to sinnoh and hoenn that is..

22sa

ロミオとシンデレ? ?? �� �� �� �� �� �� �� ��
    Years
    "Graphics upgrade! Sweet works!"

dragon0fangz

account moved to 649
    Years
    I had the awesome face on my face the whole way. Though it was hard looking at the screen.
    What was your first reaction to playing HG/SS?

Greeneflower

Pikachu Rules!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    "This is more fun than a barrel of Aipoms!"
    :t190:

I got really excited, too! :-P

billios

Water Pokémon Master
    Years
    when i first got it i was like "OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD" when i played it i was like "THIS IS AMAZING" and now i'm like "when i first got it i was like "OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD" when i played it i was like "THIS IS AMAZING" and now i'm like "when i first got it i was like "OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD" when i played it i was like "THIS IS AMAZING" and now i'm like"

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2010
    I was like O_o

I haven't played a Pokemon game since Fire red because I HATE the fourth generation. The new graphics and the use of the touch-screen are totally awsome. ^_^

Cataclysmic

A New Adventure
    Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2015
    Ultimate nostalgia! I was literally grinning from ear to ear as I watched the intro and started the game. Like many, GSC were my favorites and having remakes of this caliber is awesome.

Back