• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What was your first reaction to playing HG/SS?

Sire

Making Flareon Own You
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2024
    I watched the little movie thing that goes on before you get to your save file and I was like, "Best. Day. Ever." Brings back some amazingly great memories.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    "It's about time"

As I've mentioned around the forum, first game since sapphire to make me love the game again. Great nostalgia.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    i thought YAY POKEMON FOLLOWING YOU
    and i ran around new bark town and smiling at my cute cyndaquil follow me
    :)

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    My actual reaction?

"OMG OMG OMG" and then I played it until my eyes turned red. =]

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
    DISCLAIMER: For those of you who just started playing Pokemon recently without ever playing the original GB versions (Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal), this question really doesn't apply much to you, but feel free to answer anyway.

For those of you who grew up playing every version to be released, like me, how did it feel to realize ten years have passed already when you started to play HG/SS? For me, I have actually teared up over this game...the Pokemon games were a major part of my childhood, and I've adored them (as much as my friends seemed to begin pulling away from them as they got older.) I know that for some of you, this is just another Pokemon game, and that its just a remake of the Gold and Silver versions, but to me, it's probably one of the happiest days I've ever had playing these games. It hit me that it's been so long since I first got my silver version and was thrilled that I had gotten a team I was proud of. And now, ten years later, I'm trying my best to recreate my old team I loved so much.

So what did everyone else think of this game when they first played it?

Actually, I completely agree with you. I remember back in 1999... My first game was Gold. My mom had to run an errand for my dad's job and she took me with her, and we stopped at a Wal-Mart. I saw Pokemon Gold in the store, and I had heard that most of my classmates at the time (I was in elementary school) were wilder than hell about the game. I thought I would give it a spin. When I first played Gold, I was in shock for a long time because I had never played a game like that before, so the game itself was a totally new experience for me. I couldn't put the game down, I carried it everywhere. I was really attached to my Meganium, and eventually leveled it up to level 100. Same thing for Lugia and several others. I was wild as hell about that game. The whole class was. When Crystal came out, we'd sneak the games to school and trade. The teacher would be very pissed when she saw us, and she would make us miss recess. But it was always worth it. We loved it.

When the other Pokemon games came out, I thought they were going to be awesome, but none of them even compared in any way, shape, or form to G/S/ and most definitely not C. I was really let down. And back in September when my friend and I discovered that there was going to be a remake, we were in a total panic for it, or at least I was. It was one of the hardest waits in my life for a game. And the first day it came out, I was immediately in the stores grabbing them. I couldn't put them down. I wasn't teary-eyed, but I was really impressed. I couldn't believe that this day had finally come. It was like being young all over again, but now I could do even more with my Pokemon. It was a remake of my favorite region; my favorite Pokemon game. I couldn't wait.

My first goal was to get my Meganium. I lost my beloved Meganium years ago, and I miss that little thing like nobody's business. I refused to raise a Chikorita or a good team until I got a remake of Johto... I even refused to battle over Wi-Fi or anything like that.

I still can't put it down. That is going to be the best Pokemon game in the world. There will never be a better Pokemon game than G/S/C and HG/SS/ and the new Crystal Version, and no one will be able to make me think any different. Those other games were a huge part of my childhood, and these games are going to be a huge but awesome end to my teenage years. These are going to be games that I am going to buy for my children.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I didn't have the originals, but I reckon these are the best games ever.

They make D/P/Pt look pathetic, like they're just GBA games with wobbly graphics and a watch on the touchscreen.

I doubt even the R/S remakes (Emerald was my 1st game), if I'm around to play them, will beat these.

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2011
    Exited out of Shiny Gold, played non-stop for hours at my friends house. Reminisced. Just found GB sounds.

Riverwind

The Fire Within
    Years
    Mine when a little like "OMG! OMG! This is so great! OMG! OMG!" xD
    I played for 13 hours that day too o_O

I am forever a slave to The Pokemon Company XD

CyanideEspeon

Strange Woman
    Years
    I never played an older (R/B/Y and G/S/C) Pokémon game in my life, and I was thinking "So, this is Johto? It's awesome. I can see why people like it so much." Many Generation II Pokémon grew on me, too.

Back