• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What was your reaction to South Park's "Chinpokomon" episode...?

wobbadude1

Everybody Polkamon!
    Years
    During series three of South Park they created a parody of Pokemon called Chinpokomon! As a fan of the Pokemon franchise did you take it all in good humour or 'till this day plotting against the South Park boy's downfall???

At first I was annoyed with this episode, but after seeing it a few years later I understand it was targetting fads, although I see Pokemon as more than a fad! Although they should have done their research on the game more than the anime!

What are your thoughts and feelings?

Are you a big South Park fan...or can't stand it...or too young? Please post...:)

Years
    During series three of South Park they created a parody of Pokemon called Chinpokomon! As a fan of the Pokemon franchise did you take it all in good humour or 'till this day plotting against the South Park boy's downfall???

At first I was annoyed with this episode, but after seeing it a few years later I understand it was targetting fads, although I see Pokemon as more than a fad! Although they should have done their research on the game more than the anime!

Are you a big South Park fan...or can't stand it...or too young? Please post...:)

Something that is funny, if that that was the VERY first eppisode of South Park that I have ever seen. And today, ive seen that eppisode about 3 times...I thought that it was annoying, but when they all started, like, a cult. I thought that that was very funny ^_^ GO POKEMON!!!

Brien

Epic Panda.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2017
    I love this episode, and if you can't take this joke.. you take life too seriously

but yeah. I do watch southpark occasionally.

DevinRed

Merry Christmas!
    Years
    I really don't care. And I've never seen t3h episode. But I've hilariously funny pkmn parodies on YouTube!

Lord Yawgmoth

Lord of all Phyrexia
    Years
    I found the parody rather blah, although that could be that I don't really like South Park.
    Many things parodize Pokemon, but very few things can actually parody it well. (VG Cats did it perfectly. =3)

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
    It was one of the few South Park episodes I actually WATCHED.

I think it very well depicted the progression of Pokemon in society. It was cool for about 10 minutes, then Digimon came along, and everyone was all "Digimon, Digimon, WOOT!"

Funny stuffs was funny. :P

UberChomp

Tyrant Of The Sand
    Years
    South Park is win. I watch it from time to time and always seem to lmao. South Park isn't the first tv series that has poked fun at pokemon, Robot Chicken has also done the same, and even the CartoonNetwork show "Johnny Test" has, with using "Tinymon" instead of Pokemon and "Blaze Ketchup" instead of "Ash Ketchum" Its all just a joke, so who cares, really.

Years
    Well, since I am a South Park fan and been part of the fandom for the last 3 or 4 years, Chinpokomon is actually one of my most favourite episodes. That episode makes roughly makes it into my top 10. If not, top 15. It's just one of those episodes I can watch over and over again. Although, I'm not surprised that the episode didn't air in Japan.

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
    lollolololol!

I GOT SHOE!
    that has to be one of the best quotes from south park ever.
    I never really thought about it, its south park, and therefore, its funny.

Charliezard

A wild shroomish appeared!
    Years
    I thought it was ok. Not the best South Park ep but not the worst lol.
    The whole bagging Pokemon thing didn't and doesn't bother me at all. I haven't seen the ep in a while and can't remember it that well...but if it offended anyone then woah but why?
    Ling Ling in Drawn together is made of win ._.

Years
    I GOT SHOE!
    Oh god. That was, indeed, one of the best quotes. Shoe is probably the best one invented. I'm actually going to start laughing if a shoe pokemon gets invented.

And don't forget kids...

"I GOT TO BUY THEM! I GOT TO BUY THEM! I GOT TO BUY THEM! CHINPOKOMON!"

Annuhh5

White and nerdy.
    Years
    It didn't annoy me at all. South Park rip on everything! I agree Chinpokomon is one of my favourite episodes as well. :)

Aipomfan13

Aipom Fan
    Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2008
    I thought it was funny, seen it a few times, I think some other shows have also made fun of pokemon like Robot Chicken, and then they made fun of Pikachu on Drawn together.

Archeopterix

Cooltrainer
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2014

I share similar feelings. I'll admit, I am a fan of the show (although recent episodes have not been as great). I guess they were just trying to stress that people shouldn't always follow the norm, or fads, more specifically.

I'm not entirely sure if pokemon was a fad though. Of course, there was a time when it had optimal popularity, approximately 1998, but it's still going strong. This contradicts the meaning of 'fad', which is a phenomenon that occurs quickly and disappears just as quickly over a short period of time.

In retrospect, though, I guess it was just another fad. Who would have known pokemon would have gone this far.

Absol Perfect Distaster

Lethal Razor Wind!
    Years
    I couldn't stop laughing when I watched that episode of South Park. I heard that the reason South Park made this parody was because of Japan's banned episode of Pokemon because it caused over 635 siezures to kids due to the bright constant flashing in the pokemon episode. Thats why South Park made the parody episode to look like Japan wanted to take over the world. Read about the full story in this wiki article under the health section.

Back