• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What would you ask a Game Dev?

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
  • Hey guys!
    Not sure if I'm allowed to double-post but the first video is up now here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMKztSwEUtA

I ran into a lot of technical errors (and personal issues.. an allergic reaction that made my eyes all swollen!) and I reshot the video like 5-6 times. I wanted to send out the content as quickly as possible and I'm quite new to editing so thanks for being patient with me doing it this way!

I will post Xin's questions and those after him in the next coming videos.
    For the questions I didn't answer:

Yes we have our own engine :) We built it in-house.
    I don't know the anime "New Game."
    There are no reload animations for the same reason as there are no synced animation (budget.)
    Animation signoff is just reviewing the team's animations both in-game and as a resource, making sure it's working properly, and placing the task from "in progress/in review" to "done." Whilst also checking with Games Workshop that they are happy with the assets, too.

Stay turned for the next video! :) And thanks for letting me be able to share it this way with you guys! Youtube is a really fun challenge for me and actually a lot harder than it seems!

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    For some reason the link just brings me to my channel page and not Kura's video. Is it just me or...?

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • Hi guys!
    New video alert here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOgYj9v7jIg&feature=youtu.be

I wanted to make this video focus more on the animation aspect of things, so for the other unanswered questions:
    Spoiler:

Oh and Nick Wilde, I tried answering your other question about what happens when we first start a project but it ended up being like.. 20 minutes just trying to explain it because there is a lot that goes on but basically:
    Upper management/command team get together. Create a pitch and pinpoint what the project is going to focus on and what features will be important. This will trickle down to leads, a lot of features get brainstormed and estimates (how long will it take/ how possible is it to do) will be established. This gets sent to production to see if it'll fit in the schedule. Then with some shifting around, concepts are made, first characters are modelled and rigged, and prototyping will be done. Production will then start, but prototypes may still continue for an extent (prototypes are sometimes continuous throughout the project.) Everything is tracked in a scheduler and also reviewed to make sure it hits quality benchmarks to make sure we hit alpha, then we polish and the schedule will still be updated to make sure we finish the game in time.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • Hi guys!
    New video alert here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOgYj9v7jIg&feature=youtu.be

I wanted to make this video focus more on the animation aspect of things, so for the other unanswered questions:
    Spoiler:

Oh and Nick Wilde, I tried answering your other question about what happens when we first start a project but it ended up being like.. 20 minutes just trying to explain it because there is a lot that goes on but basically:
    Upper management/command team get together. Create a pitch and pinpoint what the project is going to focus on and what features will be important. This will trickle down to leads, a lot of features get brainstormed and estimates (how long will it take/ how possible is it to do) will be established. This gets sent to production to see if it'll fit in the schedule. Then with some shifting around, concepts are made, first characters are modelled and rigged, and prototyping will be done. Production will then start, but prototypes may still continue for an extent (prototypes are sometimes continuous throughout the project.) Everything is tracked in a scheduler and also reviewed to make sure it hits quality benchmarks to make sure we hit alpha, then we polish and the schedule will still be updated to make sure we finish the game in time.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, and yet another wonderful video! You have a nack for this!

And just to say, Halo Wars 2 is my most anticipated game of 2017 so far! Soooo, CANT WAIT!!! (The beta was excellent!)

Do you plan on doing any more of these?

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • Thanks a lot for the information. And thanks for taking the time to do that.

Your channel is educational only? What other plans you have for it? You have our support =)

Thinking of doing some new fun things like vlogging, recording my drawings, even baking stuff that's video-game related! :D I'm just trying to get into the swing of things by uploading once a week. I'm learning also how to do motion-graphics, too!

I'd love to also do a twitch stream or podcast sometime soon with the Pokecommunity, so if this sounds interesting, get in touch :D!!

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Hi again. For my third question you answered... unexpectedly? I mean, I said "no doubt it's due to the difficulty of animating so many different creatures" and your explanation was exactly that. I understood that and what my question was getting at was if the animation changes reflect a gameplay mechanics change (you could even springboard off this into an explanation of how animation and other artwork generally affects (or doesn't affect) the gameplay of a final product and vice versa, if you like), or if it is purely due to workload as you described. Interesting that you worked out how long it would take, in any case.

And I still don't know what signoff is in this context. I have 'googled it', I promise. :(
    Is it checking what the animators under you do and 'signing off' their work as 'complete'?

Last edited:
    Back