• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Whats Better? Anime or Manga!

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
Years
  • I want opinion From you Guys That whats Better Anime or Manga?
    Because I have heard many people saying Anime is Very Good and Some saying that
    Red is better because he wins and Ash Always Loses In Every League expect Orange League!
    So I want to ask You whats you Thinking on This?

ganesha

The Graphical Master
    Years
  • The protagonists are totally different in their way of battling. but they love Pokémon very much, more than their lives. I guess anime and manga are good in their own way.

Ribbon

The Queen of Shinx
    Years
  • Well I enjoy both, under different circumstances.

First of all, the manga is a lot more intense. It isn't repetitive like the anime (especially in terms of every anime episode having SOME KIND of problem with the Rocket Trio). The storyline is strong, and at some points even very scary/sad. Red actually catches all 150 pokemon. He starts off as a cocky and ignorant little boy who thinks he's the strongest pokemon trainer because he can beat everybody in pallet town... until he meets Oak's grandson. I love the characters and their development.

Let me get this out there, the anime is aimed at a younger audience. It's a lot more childish in terms of a weak plot line (and a repetitive one), in which younger kids won't notice as much.Ash is like the typical young shounen protagonist who faces failure often but never actually gives up. He teaches kids the value of friendship through the amazing relationship he has with his partner, Pikachu. I find the anime is relatively pleasant on a... brainless day. But I've been pretty interested in the new series X/Y out and I've been following along (maybe because I ship Ash and Serena!).

All in all, if you prefer a less childish approach, the manga is for you.
    If you don't mind a cute show about never giving up and friendship despite being more childish, then the anime would interest you.

The game series is the best though. Hahahah.

Years
  • I'll have to start getting up at 7 in the mornin on Saturdays so when Pokemon xy comes to television on a weekly basis I don't miss it as it does look like it will be pretty good. Already watched the first 2 episodes on youtube.

Years
  • Personally, I think I prefer the anime, but that's probably only for its nostalgic value. Ribbon pretty much covered it; the anime is aimed at a younger demographic, so it generally consists of a fairly basic plotline per episode. The manga seems to be more developed, I suppose, so I find the manga more interesting to read over watching episodes. But as I'm more familiar with the anime, I prefer it.

I do love both the anime and the manga though.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    There are so many pokémon mangas and most of them have much better characters and plot than the anime. I generally think of pokémon as a bad anime, as it's too childish and has too little of an ongoing plot for my taste. The Pokémon Adventures manga though, has seemingly similar characters and plot at start, a Red-counterpart and a Pikachu going on a journey. But the plot thickens and reaches out and touches on matters and constructs that the games never mention are even possible. Merging Articuno + Zapdos + Moltres for instance, or making the Elite 4 evil. Brilliant moves. So even if I only compare the big pokémon anime to one of the many good pokémon mangas, the plot is wildly superb.

The characters too. Ash is a standard shounen hero and all his girl traveling partners have only had minor differences to distinguish them. But all the characters in Pokémon Adventures have unique backgrounds and personalities that make them memorable and likeable (in most cases) and the story isn't always driven by some evil team's plot - it's also based on the characters and their progression and development as persons. Think of how Dia learned to become more mature and courageous, or how Ruby learned to accept who he really is kind of, and how Blue came to peace with her past and gave up her villainous ways.

The only thing that is better about the anime is that it's just that - an anime. It can be watched without effort, it's got colors and sounds. But if Pokémon Special was an anime, I'd prefer that over the Ash-thing any day.

Yukari

This is a VERY hard question. I like the anime and the manga, but choosing between them... Well as adventure said the manga has better characters AND a better story, The story is one of the most important aspects of anything to me. and its true that the Pokemon anime Has stereotype characters and little to no plot, But I still love watching it. I really don't think I could choose between them...

Vulk

Secret Trainer
    Years
  • I don't really bother choosing between anime and manga, but I really enjoy watching the anime. It's like you can feel a closer connection with pokémon, and it feels great. With the manga you can see a story which is closer to the gameplay of each Pokémon version, and those feelings are just Amazing. Either way are just the best. So it's kind of hard to choose one.

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2023
    My favorite would have to be the Electric Tale of Pikachu manga because Toshiro's art is just fantastic; I've featured a lot of it on my blog.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • I'd rather have the sound effects and the animations of the anime rather than a manga, as they add to the tension of a certain scenario (Like a Pokemon battle for example).

Years
  • From the little I know about some of the different Pokemon manga, it seems like the stories are much more interesting than those of the anime. That being said, I'm not a big fan of manga or comics, so I'd much rather take the anime over any of the manga. If they adapted some of the manga into its own anime (running alongside the original), I'd probably watch the former more than I do the latter.

Back