• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] What's the most popular region to set a fic?

Where do you like to see fics set in?

• Johto

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Houen

• Shinou

• Unova

• Kalos

• Alola

• Galar

• Paldea

• A side region (Orre, Fiore, Lental, etc.)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EmeraldSky

Make the Colors in the Sky!
Years
  • While chatting with a fellow author last night, I wondered--out of the nine current canon regions, which one is the most popular to set a fic in? Or are side game regions or fan regions more popular? So we're going to find out--which regions are the most popular to set a fic in, and why?

The rules:

--You are allowed to vote up to three options in the poll, but think carefully about which three you pick--you can't change your answer later.
    --You are welcome to explain why you picked the choices that you picked. You don't have to write a novel, just a few sentences will be fine.
    --The poll will run for two weeks, where the top three regions will be revealed.

I look forward to seeing your responses!

Bay

Years
  • In terms of writing, I think I've done them all at least once saved for Paldea. In terms of reading, I've been reading fics set in Alola the most in recent memory due to liking the characters from that region. I assume that most fics are set in Kanto due to the region being the longest, though fics set in Paleda might be mainstream now.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • In terms of the question in the thread title, my experience reading indicates Kanto, Hoenn and Galar are the most common regions for mainline, and the Grass Continent (the Explorers continent) the most common for PMD. I'm guessing there's also the mandatory KANTOOOOOOOO notoriety factor (Kanto G10makes!). We should expect to see a surge of fics featuring Paldea for a number of reasons, most notably the heightened worldbuilding potential of Area Zero.

In terms of the question in the poll, I am partial to Kanto for a number of reasons (including the fact that I already write for canon characters from Kanto) and to fanon regions. One of the allures of fanon regions for me is that no matter which way the author decides to go about constructing it, there's lots of room to make a place with and about what you want: a region that is a stand-in for a province or region in the real world like the canon Pokémon regions are, or a region that is a completely novel concept, or a sort of Historical AU but with dragons Pokémon. Basically I can see only wins.

Back