• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's YOUR favorite band? (and why)

Status
Not open for further replies.

System!

HM....................... .....
    Years
    System of a Down - I just love how they sound overall. I'm a more recent fan (like, after they said that they were on hiatus), so I only have a few of their albums. Still, I love them. My favorite from this band: "Spiders".

Voltaire - I heard some of his songs on The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, loved them, and searched for more of his songs on YouTube. I love the dark humor he injects into his songs. My favorite from him: a tie between "When You're Evil" and "Day of the Dead" (english and/or spanish).

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    IN FLAMES
    (we Trust) xD

why?

Because they are simply the best Melodic Metal band of all time...

They send me into a trance and make me head bang all in one song!

Any other In Flames believers here?
    VM me if there is!!

devilicious

dream
    Years
    Yousei Teikoku;
    They're able to mix metal with delicate female vocals perfectly, creating the perfect Gothic Lolita feel, not to mention incredible lyrics and awesome indumentary. Oh, and the vocalist, Itsuki Yui, is an awesome person, judging by her blog entries.

Years
    Oh god, I could be here for a while.

Machine Head - The band I owe everything too, as well as my friend for giving me their CD! Haha. First time I listened to them, I was blown away. Davidian was the song. The beginning was beautiful and a great build up to the initial "break" into the double base kicks and singing.
    Since then, I have bought every single album of theirs and followed them all the way! The last gig I saw them at was "The Black Crusade." That was one fun night!

They were one of five bands playing that night and the last. (Dragonforce, Trivium, ShadowFalls and Arch Enemy were the others.) There was a 30 minute gap in between Trivium and Machine Head, so everyone wandered around the arena to get drinks or what ever. At this point, I made a B-Line for the front. I got right onto the barrier just to the left of the stage. They were brilliant as always.
    Live music was spot on with little tweaks as they always do live. Their interaction with the crowd was bloody amazing as always and they were the best band there that night.
    Warning, swear word used:
    Spoiler:

That is my favorite band! By far!
    Since people are listing more of them, I shall do the same. As I feel like talking about them :D
    Hope you don't mind ;)

Slipknot - I started to listen to metal after listening to Machine Head, which was early High School. Slipknot soon followed. Again, I was blown away by them. I remember listening to Wait & Bleed and thinking... "AWESOME!" It was a complete mix of screaming and singing. A very talented singer and a beautifully composed band. Unfortunately, I am yet to see Slipknot, but because of their new album, I shall have that chance! More Download tickets are out. Maybe I will get one :O

The Black Dahlia Murder - This is one of the newest bands I have started listening too. Oddly enough, when I was on my way to Japan in Feb '08. My friend gave me his I-pod and told me to listen to this band. He said it is more death metal so beware! I laughed and listened.
    I listened to two songs there. They were "Funeral Thirst with Unhallowed introduction" and "What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse." They were amazing, and "What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse" is my favorite song by the band. I REALLY REALLY want to see them life, but they don't tour much, as far as I am aware =[

Mastodon - Speaking of them, I have their new album on repeat at this current moment in time! XD
    Mastodon was a band that I found off my own back. I can't remember where I exactly saw them, but I loved them from the moment go! I fell in love with them while listening to their third album. "Blood Mountain." Ever since then, it has been an album I have always gone back too. Never got bored of it and never regretted buying it. Then, this year, they released their new album, "Crack The Skye". Once again, I found myself falling in love with Mastodon once again. The album is just beautiful.

Mastodon aren't your usual metal band. Not screaming really, no stupidly heavy rifts, but something special, that no other band has yet to replicate, that I know off. They relax me and also get me pumped up. I love them.

Maximum The Hormone - A new edition to my favorite band list, but one well deserved. I only really heard Maximum The Hormone on the Death Note opening. My friend had it on in the background (The anime and it just started) I stopped what I was doing and made him stop the episode so I could see who the band was! XD I am mean aren't I. This began my obsession with the band.
    I want to see them live so much it is untrue. They might be touring soon, as I feel like they could release a new album...
    One of my favorite songs is "Koi No Megalove." The transaction between a happy and light opening, to metal and a "mosh" feeling is completely unexpected and beautiful. I
    If you know Maximum The Hormone, you will know that they are a Japanese band.
    Their lyrics consist of Japanese, broken Japanese and bits of English. I am sure I hear some English words! XD
    Sometimes, even the Japanese fans are unsure of what they are saying, but the beauty of it, in my eyes, is you can fill in the gaps. The music is upbeat and just jaw-dropping.

Pantera - First off. RIP DIMEBAG DARREL! For those who don't know, Dimebag was the lead guitarist of the band. His work on the guitar was so beautiful, I still think he is one of the best guitarists that ever flowed into my ears. The band, Pantera, split up and Dimebag when to another band called "Damage Plan." In one of their gigs, a man called Nathien Gale stormed onto stage, mid act, and shot Dimebag, the head of security and some fans, before reloading and holding someone at gun point. The Police gunned him down soon after. Dimebag and the security guard were both killed on stage. =[
    This event took place in '94.
    No, Wiki did not help me on this one! XD
    I know this from memory. I was only 5 at the time, so I wasn't into my metal stage/any stage! XD
    But I grew up with not being able to see this legend.

Any who, to the music. Dimebag's solos are simply awe inspiring. You have to listen to them to believe them. So far, my two favorites are Domination and Floods. The Outro to Floods is so beautiful, it made me cry. =[
    The rest of the band were top class as always. Lead singer added an air of comedy and energy to the songs and to the performance. Seeing videos of them live, they looks metal. Seriously, it is crazy and I wish I was there.
    If you want to check it out for yourself, the video to "Walk" sums it up really! XD
    Once again, RIP!

Now, some of my lighter bands :P
    Barcelona - Barcelone are a fairly new to me. I have only been a fan of them for less than a year. In fact, early '08 I think, so maybe just over a year. They are a very relaxed and chilled band. Looking at Wiki for this one, because I am interested to see what they are classed as, they are said to be "Indie/New Wave/Pop."
    I would disagree with Pop, but the others sum it up a little. They are very VERY relaxing. I often find myself in bed, listening to them and drifting off to sleep. It is awesome!
    They also have some rather sad songs. They have a air to them, that if you have had a bad time, it could make you cry! XD
    I listened to them for a while constantly, when my auntie died. This was mid '08 so I knew their songs well. They actually got me through it. Although some people could clame they have a depressing air to the songs, their messages behind the music are beautiful. I concentrated on this and it helped, as well as it soothing my mind.

Hurt - I first listened to hurt in IKEA when I was working. My friend had his I-Pod plugged in and he was playing "House Carpenter" by Hurt. I liked the start of it so much, I made excuses to stay in, just to listen to it... but doing work as well... >.> From this, I was captivated by their rocky/relax style. Since then, I have listened to them and you might see me in the "What Am I Listening To" thread, post one of their songs. =]
    I am not sure what is going on with them, as I haven't heard a lot of activity from them, which is sad!

Wow, that was a long post! XD
    Sorry for that, but I love music, as you might see.
    I have left out some others, but I think that is enough for now, don't you? :P

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    Rise Against

Well, they are a great band who started off somewhere in the late 1900's and early 2000's, but their music is great. Most of their songs reflect on what happens in the U.S government or current problem. At times, though, a song or two is about other topics.

My favorite song from them is either Everchanging or The Good Left Undone.

Gunn

horror resident
    Years
    Poets of the Fall.

To be honest, I always thought that my final choice on a "favorite band" would be one of heavy/thrash metal decent, like Iron Maiden, Children of Bodom, Megadeth, ... but it turns out to be a Finnish rock band. It's such a let-down that these guys are not very known in the United States, which is why I cannot purchase any of their albums. They're a success in Europe and they do most of their touring there. Anyways, I absolutely fell in love with their creations after watching their music video for Carnival of Rust. Magnificent song. Really. Please listen to it if you have not heard of it yet. Then I just had to hear the rest of their music. Marko, the lead vocalist, is amazing and has an unique voice. Everything is so beautiful, emotional, ... just great really.

Don't worry, their stuff is in English. :P

I dream of a day to see them live.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    TIE

Gorillaz & Black Eyed Peas

They both fit my two of my many many sides.

©ereal Killer

Illusions or Real Illusions ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2011
    Architects!

Why? These guys are ace!! like cereal! Every album has different guitar tuning.

Asking Alexandria!

Why? Mixing techno with posthardcore!! TRANCECORE!! Makes me high!

Randurro

スペースをとるこ? ??
    Years
    Tied for my top favorites has to be Metallica and Rammstein. Metallica is my dad's favorite band so I grew up with there awesome music so it's also nostalgic. Me being part german and having mostly german friends(just seems to work out like that) and also being a metal fan this is a band we have always listened to. Plus they're just plain awesome.
    "MEIN HERZ BRENNT!"

Last edited:

Lash

Years
    Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold

Reason: Crap, I've said somewhere else once before that words cannot explain how much I love these guys, but I'll try.
    srsly anyways, I absolutely love these guys to death. These amazing musicians are the five voices that got me into writing my own music.

At first, around 2007, I wasn't too big on them, because I was going through a MAJOR nu metal/rapcore/electronica phase. As soon as I got out of that phase in early 08, I finally saw the hard rock/heavy metal light, listening to A7X and other hard rock/heavy metal bands a lot more. They quickly became my favorite band. M. Shadows grit voice absolutely amazed me, especially on City of Evil. A little later, I became more influenced in writing music when listening to their album Waking the Fallen. That awesome metalcore album, along with their 2001 album, Sounding the Seventh Trumpet got me into what is my favorite genre today, which is obviously metalcore. Needless to say, they have had a major impact on me, especially with their album that helped me be a little more musically diverse their self titled album, released 2007. With Synyster Gates' and Zacky Vengeance's melodic dual guitars, they influenced me to play guitar. Once again, another big impact in my life involving Avenged Sevenfold.

And, as if their albums and songs weren't amazing enough, I finally got to see them live at the Jobing.com Arena on January 30th, 2009! Needless to say, the best night of my life.

So, thank you, Avenged Sevenfold; the band that literally changed my life. And an all around just a good band to listen to, I enjoy their music.

Years
    Sigur Rós

They make music like no one else. Playful, sad, epic - they can do it all. Listen to them while you're doing anything and you'll feel like you're in a movie. Soundtrack of my life.

幕之内 一歩

<b><font color=
    Years
    Title for this thread should really be 'What's your favorite band right now?'

It might be just be (though I doubt it) but peoples taste in music tend to flow pretty well and their list of favorite bands probably change as new artists emerge and old artists come out with new albums. Anyways, as of right now, here's a few of my favorite bands/artists:

~Linkin Park (this might be my one true constant, I've enjoyed them since they were underground and still enjoy them to this day)
    ~Slip Knot
    ~Mudvayne
    ~Five Finger Death Punch
    ~Lil Wayne
    ~David Banner
    ~Alient Ant Farm
    ~Disturbed
    ~Creedence Clearwater Revival
    ~Daft Punk
    ~Boston
    ~Eminem
    ~50 Cent
    ~DMX

This list could go on for a while, so I'll just stop it there. As you can see I enjoy a pretty good range of music. To be honest, the only kind of music I can't stand is country and anything from the Beatles XD

I don't know why, I just don't. Peace.

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2010
    I have more than one favorite band/singer

Avenged Sevenfold
    Reasons: The talented guitar players, amazing vocals, great stage presence, and the diversity in their music.

Alizee
    Reason: Her amazing singing is a break from the studio edited American pop music, she's a talented dancer, her clean image is a break from American pop singers who are dying for attention.

There is more but Im too lazy to post them right now

Fail-Z

Yeah, I'm a profile buzzard.XD
    Years
    My favorite band

My favorite is definetely PanterA. They were a great band while they lasted. The songs they wrote were pure metal. Dimebag's (R.I.P. T.T) guitar playing technique has inspired me as a guitarist, and Philip Anselmo's vocals were really heavy. Rex Brown's bass lines were killer and didn't always follow the guitar exactly like most metal today. Vince was a KILLER drummer. He doesn't always hit the double bass drum the whole song , once again like most metal today, and when he does he actually makes it sound good. If you haven't listened to Pantera before, I'd suggesting starting off by listening to Walk, Becoming, or Cemetary Gates.

Ritchie

EV trainer
    Years
    I don't know much about music, but I'd say Coldplay, because I love their lyrics. Viva la vida!

Years
    Can't choose one...

AC/DC - The old stuff is great! Bon Scott made the stage go wild! It was only too unfortunate that Bon passed away 7 years after pure success :(

Cannibal Corpse - Sudden change in taste, but the brutality in the sound makes it a great atmosphere, though I do prefer the old stuff when Chris Barnes (former vocalist) was in the band.

Iron Maiden - When I heard them for the first time (the song "Wrathchild"), something made me get more and more stuff from these guys. The sound and tunes they create is amazing.

These are only SOME of the bands I like.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back