• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's your favourite feature in a hack?

Orinjmate

The Orinj of the Mate
    Years
    What's your favourite feature in a hack?
    Say what you like about each category and then afterwards make a small list from favourite to least favourite for each category.

1) Graphics1
    - tiles
    - palettes
    - map layouts
    - range of scenery (mountains, forests, caves etc.)
    1) Graphics2
    - trainer sprites
    - over world sprites
    - fakemon
    1) Graphics3
    - title screen
    - intro graphics
    - town map
    - miscellaneous (items, textboxes, bag etc.)
    2) Scripts
    - scripts involving the use of asm
    - general decent scripts that run properly and flow nice and smoothly
    - fun scripts such as mini-games
    - scripts that end with a battle against someone or a pokemon
    3) Originality
    - an entire new gameplay (like playing as the pokemon etc.)
    - freshness and not repetitiveness
    - made purely the hacker alone and not based off things on the internet or the base ROM
    - general inventive ideas
    4) Story
    - deep/emotianal or dark
    - original nintendo-like storyline (revolves around an evil team and a legendary pokemon)
    - interlinking with events from the past or future (explaining why weird things happen that you don't know why until later on in the game)
    - anime based storyline
    5) Music
    - newly inserted music
    - new instruments
    - jolly music
    - sad music

Please tell me if I have missed anything and I will put it in.

Last edited:

Orinjmate

The Orinj of the Mate
    Years
    Not sure if this is shown in the ROM hacking section yet :S sorry for the double post if it is.
    Btw my favourite feature is 1) tiles because I think that the game is what you look at; the only thing in the game that you don't look at is the sound.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I'll just add my opinions on every aspect of hacking, and settle on the options you've posted.

1. Graphics
    Something that adds a touch of sweetness to your hack. If a hack is visually appealing to the eye, it's sure to draw the attention of a lot of people. Opinion-wise, the graphical part of hacking doesn't only include Palettes, Tiles, OWs, etc. as individuals. I judge the graphics of a hack on the basis of the summation of all those aspects. It's got to give the player a good feeling when he/she plays the hack, and make it stand out. But again, the graphical part of hacking isn't only about tiles, palettes and textboxes, it's also about the maps and the whole visual aspect.

I won't really settle on an option in this one.​

2. Story
    The countless scraps of paper you've wasted, or maybe even if you planned it out in a mere 5 minutes, it's all pretty much worth it, if your hack has a good, stable and unique storyline. I personally prefer deep, emotional and dark story lines, sometimes with a bit of a link to the past/future. Because those are the types I usually find unique and interesting. A good background, character sketches, a good description of the settings also helps out quite a lot. As for nintendo-like storylines, most of them are pretty bland, unless it plunges into a deep twist which can make things interesting. And anime/manga based storylines; I like seeing how the hacker portrays it.​

3. Originality
    Originality is pretty vital for me. Different and new gameplay, fresh graphics, scripts and storyline, new music, general inventive ideas are all pretty important. It also helps if you have unique features and distinctive ideas, and most probably their implementation.​

4. Scripts
    It's always good to see how the story advances, and the general events that take place, all of which are mostly done with the help of scripts. Scripts are what makes a hack enjoyable. I like seeing scripts with distinctive ideas and things done differently and inventively. ASM can increase the level of a script, and interpret unique ideas, but if you can do it without the help of ASM, I don't really see the problem. And I always expect scripts to run smoothly, though there might be a few mishappenings here and there. Mini-games are awesome. Not many hacks have them, and definitely makes a hack fun.​

My opinions from my perspective. I can't really choose my favorite. If I had to, either Originality, or scripts.
    But the summation of all the features of a hack, is what makes a decent hack.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    I'll have what she's having. I mean-- I'll do what Binary did.

1. Graphics
    Personally, I don't mind graphics. As long as they aren't legitimately terrible, I'm good. The old graphics of FR/LG? Fine. Just as long as you didn't grab a mouse/trackpad and open paint to draw your own tiles haphazardly, it's fine by me. Most of the time, I prefer Nintendo graphics, actually.

Mapping is hecksa important, but when I'm playing, it has to play well. Natural mapping really turns me off playing a game when I can't wander around properly without a) getting horribly lost or b) getting horribly swarmed by Pokemon. Playability most of the way here, but mapping without flavour or beauty is probably terrible too, so a bit of that is nice.

2. Story
    Is not an important point imo. It's not the story, it's how it's executed. You can have the most original, epic story in history, but if you can't do it, you can't do it and it'll be terrible. Many times I'd much rather play a nice simple Nintendo-style hack than have an imaginative but terrible story. It's all execution in this department.

3. Originality
    Originality is nice. I mean, the obvious new maps/scripts is pretty much where I'm fine with it. New music is really awesome (if it's good music. if it's not, gtfo nao), and so is cool features, but, once again, only if you can pull it off (new features usually = ASM stuff so yeah lol that's pretty impressive to me who's too lazy to learn stuff like that)

4. Scripts
    V. V. V. important. Without it, you have no story and any new features become very moot. Without it, your mapping becomes meaningless, useless piles of pixels. Probably the most important department in the actual game is the scripting, the literal execution of the game. Without it, a game is really nothing.

Personally, mine is a mix between graphics and scripting. Without one or the other, a hack is nothing. Story isn't necessary (see: original pokemon game x 14), nor is originality (see: original pokemon game x 14), but graphics (maps) and scripting (scripts...duh) are the most important parts of a hack.

Just my two cents. :D

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
    Graphics are the one that get my attention. But there are a lot of hack with great tiles and goos mapping, but with bad scripts and boring events!
    Story is a secondary thing for me. 90% hacks have the same story with some minor twists, but there are some really original hacks that have an extremely interesting story, such as Pokémon Snakewood!
    As I've said before, originality is very important! Rather it's the storyline, graphics, or unique scripts, originality is something everyone appreciate!
    Scripts are hacks! Don't let anyone tell you different. Without good scripts, any hack can count on being forgotten and pushed away by better hacks!

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
    Years
    OK, well I know many things that would make a ROM Hack very enjoyable, however... the things that were either from the original ROM base itself or using the graphics that was made by a common tileset maker tends to make the ROM Hack feel rather... um... generic. Because... just have a look at what Nintendo does when they create their Pokémon games... they don't use the same graphics over and over again, do they? Unless it was for Pokémon Emerald of course, which is rather edited from Ruby and Sapphire. This is why they always have someone that creates the textures. And I'm sure many people can learn how to create their own textures and stuff rather than using someone else's, don't ya reckon?

Alright, as for graphics... I actually like the way it's made naturally or setted in proper possitions. What I really don't like about some hacks... is the tiles set in the incorrect possitions and all that. To me, I wouldn't rather prefer using Nintendo's tilesets... because they just feel rather generic, so to give the hack more of a flavor, I would change the textures to ones that have never been made before. Yes, the tilesets that indeed have that creativity to it... and your imagination. As ROM Hacking is all about your creativity and your imagination... of a totally different storyline that is either similar to Nintendo's style... or totally different. And that feeling of a new adventure that lies just around the corner. ;)

The storylines are the biggest things that are used in the video game industry, and the ROM Hacks as well. It's all about creativity and imagination as well. What I certainly like about the storylines... is the fact that alot of them are different... and give that good feel about them and all that. Just remember... a ROM Hack cannot be a ROM Hack without a storyline... so that's one of the most important things about it. However I do prefer storylines that are totally different and don't give that generic feel about them.

It is always the originality that brings a ROM Hack to life. And of course... a ROM Hack with originality sure does give the ROM Hack some character in it... as well as the feel of it being a totally different game. The best thing we should aim for in a ROM Hack after doing the important things first... is the originality. It's always best to do it before releasing a beta... because I'm sure some people would rather get sick and tired of the original ROM's things in it, such as the music and stuff... mostly the music is one of the things that should be changed before releasing a beta, because I'm sure not many people would want to hear the original FireRed's battle music excetra. As for graphics that will make the ROM Hack feel like a totally new game altogether, although I do understand that starters might not be experienced at that sort of thing, so I would understand that they wouldn't have gotten into that sort of thing. As ASM really does indeed bring in a whole big difference... like say for example... you want to remove the motion of the moving truck in Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald for instance, you can always find the ASM that indicates the introduction and at the end... just simply remove the part where the sound and movement in the intro, just to note... the truck motion is part of the introduction. An experienced ROM Hacker would research and find out stuff then edit the things in the ROM.

Now... as for scripts, they are indeed the most important thing ever in a ROM Hack, without the scripts... a ROM Hack would be nothing but map and some objects. Scripts are so amazing, when you have a script editor like XSE, you can create scripts that are able to do so many things you would like to do. You can simply compare a script from other scripts in the original ROM, and then use their commands that you find out about. I was kinda researching the scripts that cause rain or thunderstorm on Route 119, I've realized there's no script offset for those scripts... they have different unknown and var bytes. It's kinda odd if you ask me, but yeah. There are even ways of getting scripts to work with ASM as well, which is pretty cool, and the fact that some scripts can be used as fun mini games or something, it can be even more fun if it's worked via ASM as well. ;)

My favorite feature out of all... would be the ASM edits and creativity of ASM as well.

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    Graphics: For me they are just like iceing on some sort of desert. It makes the whole thing mor attractive however they are nowhere near as important as everything else. Just as some only eat iceing, some only play ROM hacks for graphic. For me, however, I don't really mind graphics so long as they aren't terrible. But I do expect new OWs.

Story: For me story is the second most important part of any hack, but a close second at that. I absolutly refuse to play any hack that strictly follows the Nintendo storyline (If you mix it up a bit I consider it) or any hack strictly following any story trend of ROM hacks. (Such as Team Rocket returing which has been done over 9000 times.) I prefer deep, emotional, more complex stories with compelling heros along with villians that are more than just "evil because shut up".

Originality: Also a big thing for me. More original the better, just don't try too hard or else it will come off as just weird. Let the originality flow from the story.

Scripts: The most important part of any hack. It's what draws it all together; the story, orignality, ect. As such the scripts should range big to small, complex to intricate. I hate when someone attempts to make a hack without scripting knowledge or a scriptor and advertise no level scripts or anything that isn't talking.

SoaringSomeone

Residential Sprite Slave
    Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2014
    1) Graphics
    Graphics are the first thing you see when you open a game, so it's pretty important that it makes a good first impression. If your player sprite's totally messed up, no outline, a complete mess, it makes me want to play it less. Mapping is also pretty important; bad mapping does the same thing as bad sprites. Plus if you have tile errors everywhere, it's not very professional looking. For Fakemon, I'm not too fond of them, but they're ok.

So I think I'll say that mapping is pretty important in this category.

2) Scripts
    Scripts make the game in my opinion. They're what separates a good game from a bad one. Even if the story isn't that great, if you've got original scripts and other cool stuff loaded in, it makes your game more attractive.

I'll go with general decent scripts that run properly and flow nice and smoothly, but I think that there should be like new scripts as opposed to just ones yanked from the game that function correctly.

3) Originality
    General inventive ideas. Handsdown. This kinda goes with the story part since I think that the storyline and the characters is something that everyone can put their originality into.

4) Story
    Oh boy. I prefer the emotional/deep/darker story lines. I think that while a good hack is playable and fun, a great hack is one that can evoke emotions and make people think a little. Also, the future/past thing is another something that resonates with me, and quite often it's my favorite type of storyline. It's also usually connected with the emotional/darker storylines in the examples I've seen before, so there's that.

Overall, I think that the story is the single most important thing, followed by the scripts. I don't really care if you use the default Red sprite if you can tell a story and make great new scripts.

Orinjmate

The Orinj of the Mate
    Years
    I haven't done this yet so I'll have a go.

1) Graphics
    I think that graphics are the MOST important thing in a game because the video games are made PURELY on what you are looking at (other than the music and using a controller).
    My favourite section of graphics in pokemon ROM hacking is the tiles. Although if you mess up the palettes on the tiles then they mean nothing...
    I also like a good range of scenery in a ROM hack because it keeps the game non repetitive.
    2) Scripts
    Scripts are my second favourite thing in a hack partially because they require skill to make decent ones but also because they make the game what it is and also the storyline is reliant on scripts.
    3) Originality
    I do like originality but if it is TOO different from what a normal ROM hack is like then it doesn't feel like a game in the same category any more. But I still love originality :) especially when it comes to original graphics.
    4) Storyline
    When you have a good storyline that you can't poke holes in then that is quite a nice feature to have in a hack. My favourite types of storyline for GBA pokemon ROM hacks are ones with an evil team. It feels like a Nintendo game that way :) Also if you want a good storyline or a dark one then why come to a pokemon game? They're are supposed to be cheery and fun. Also it annoys me when people try to make ROM hacks have a really dark storyline because it looks really pretentious.
    5) Music
    I love the music from pokemon games (especially RSE!!!). Newly inserted music can sound good but it annoys me when it is slightly 8-bit because it was inserted incorrectly by the hacker. Also it is very rare these days to see new music in a hack. The only ones I can think of are shiny gold and mirage.

Here's them in order of favourite to least favourite.
    1) Graphics
    2) Scripts
    3) Originality
    4) Storyline
    5) Music

(lol it's the same order as it is up there)

Last edited:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Considering you added music:

It's completely unnecessary to add music to a hack. You don't need to change the music for it to be good. However, changing it can be very good as well if what you do change it to is good music, and is used right. Taking some awesome theme from your favourite game and putting it into a hack without reason is not used right. Also if you're awesome at composing (hi gira) then it's perfectly fine lol.

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    I haven't done this yet so I'll have a go.

1) Graphics
    I think that graphics are the MOST important thing in a game because the video games are made PURELY on what you are looking at (other than the music and using a controller).
    My favourite section of graphics in pokemon ROM hacking is the tiles. Although if you mess up the palettes on the tiles then they mean nothing...
    I also like a good range of scenery in a ROM hack because it keeps the game non repetitive.
    2) Scripts
    Scripts are my second favourite thing in a hack partially because they require skill to make decent ones but also because they make the game what it is and also the storyline is reliant on scripts.
    3) Originality
    I do like originality but if it is TOO different from what a normal ROM hack is like then it doesn't feel like a game in the same category any more. But I still love originality :) especially when it comes to original graphics.
    4) Storyline
    When you have a good storyline that you can't poke holes in then that is quite a nice feature to have in a hack. My favourite types of storyline for GBA pokemon ROM hacks are ones with an evil team. It feels like a Nintendo game that way :) Also if you want a good storyline or a dark one then why come to a pokemon game? They're are supposed to be cheery and fun. Also it annoys me when people try to make ROM hacks have a really dark storyline because it looks really pretentious.
    5) Music
    I love the music from pokemon games (especially RSE!!!). Newly inserted music can sound good but it annoys me when it is slightly 8-bit because it was inserted incorrectly by the hacker. Also it is very rare these days to see new music in a hack. The only ones I can think of are shiny gold and mirage.

Here's them in order of favourite to least favourite.
    1) Graphics
    2) Scripts
    3) Originality
    4) Storyline
    5) Music
    (lol it's the same order as it is up there)

Concerning the story part, that is why I like good sometimes dark stories, it pushes the boundaries and adds to the originality and fun of the game for me. Sure you could just put in eight gyms and an evil team that is evil just because they are, but what's the fun in that? I'm the kind of person who likes to push boundaries and do out into uncharted terriotory in ROM hacking, as such I prefer hacks that reflect this. That us just my two cents on the matter and an answer to your question as to why someone would make a Pokemon hack unlike the Nintendo games. To reinerate, that is exactly the reason; to make it unlike a Nintendo game. Instead to make it your own creation.

Also since you gave music its own section I'll see to it that I answer it breifly:

Music to me falls into the same catogory as graphics, it's cool and adds to the hack but its not necessary. However if I had to choose between new tiles and new music, I would definatly go with music. It helps establish a feel and a mood. For example, a town out near the sea with Pallet Town music isn't bad, just not as effective as an oceantic town with new music that better suits the enviornment. It's also pretty hard to establish a emotional scene, rather of sadness, despair, or otherwise, with the music of the Pokemon games, always cheery and upbeat. That is my personal opinion on music.

Omega Zero

Is back...
    Years
    From Favourite to least Favourite.

Music
    It is really hard for me to play a hack without new music unless it has extremely well gameplay, I'll name a few.
    Pokemon Eruption, Sienna, (yes it had some new music but still good nevertheless) Celestium (beta test) and others.

Scripts
    Seriously? Playing a game without scripts is like saying "I'm going for a walk then you go to your room." or something like that. Especially when the scripts add new features and a feeling.

Graphics
    Last but not least graphics. Sometimes the graphics pull me towards a game making me want to play it or the storyline EG. Pokemon Grey (<3 Story)
    If someone has a terrible pallete edit of the fr set i nearly Puke
    this pulls me towards games or pushes me away Eg, Yucky pals for textbox, Tiles, Ow's and so on.

Orinjmate

The Orinj of the Mate
    Years
    Concerning the story part, that is why I like good sometimes dark stories, it pushes the boundaries and adds to the originality and fun of the game for me. Sure you could just put in eight gyms and an evil team that is evil just because they are, but what's the fun in that? I'm the kind of person who likes to push boundaries and do out into uncharted terriotory in ROM hacking, as such I prefer hacks that reflect this. That us just my two cents on the matter and an answer to your question as to why someone would make a Pokemon hack unlike the Nintendo games. To reinerate, that is exactly the reason; to make it unlike a Nintendo game. Instead to make it your own creation.

Also since you gave music its own section I'll see to it that I answer it breifly:

Music to me falls into the same catogory as graphics, it's cool and adds to the hack but its not necessary. However if I had to choose between new tiles and new music, I would definatly go with music. It helps establish a feel and a mood. For example, a town out near the sea with Pallet Town music isn't bad, just not as effective as an oceantic town with new music that better suits the enviornment. It's also pretty hard to establish a emotional scene, rather of sadness, despair, or otherwise, with the music of the Pokemon games, always cheery and upbeat. That is my personal opinion on music.
    I see your point but what annoys me is that EVERYONE tries to make the stories deep and meaningful and tries to push push the boundaries and barely anyone makes hacks that are like normal pokemon games anymore :(and that pisses me off... I think that the idea of a deep storyline on a GBA Pokemon ROM hack is pathetic and over rated...

Equin

Got it memorized?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    I think that you asked the wrong question in the title of the thread, considering how everyone here replied with content for all kinds of features. So I'll just do what they did:

• Graphics - I don't really care, unless the author of the hack has done something really miraculous or made a map that has more errors than normal tiles. Which means, they're both edges of the same cliff.
    • Scripting - now, that's something more interesting. Scripts depict one'sw way of presenting things (imo), so bad scripts mean lack of knowledge, small errors mean lazyness, good and long scripts mean interest and value, and so on. You can't say the same when one uses rom bases or graphics scattered across the net, though.
    • Originality - there is no definite answer for this, as there may be a hack that looks a lot like canon games, but is unique, or another than wants to be 'outboxing', but ends up warped with a nice, familiar skin. So, content is all that matters. Not general factors that like to 'show' originality.
    • Storyline - I'm not really demanding when it comes down to storyline, but plot twists are usually enjoyable. Being cliche is also okay for me.
    • Music - I always play with the sound muted. No gameplay music can match my soundtrack choices

XDragonRiderX

Time flies.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2021
    -Originality: Just go look at Identity, you'll know what I mean.
    -Music: It's nice to have some of the original music, but if the whole game is just all original music, it just ruins it.
    -Tiles: Don't really care, just as so long you insert SOME original tiles.
    -GBA Hacks- Sure they're easy to hack, easy to find, but it's so OVERUSED. I know GB/GBC are hard to hack but take a lesson from KoolBoyMan.
    That's about it.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I see your point but what annoys me is that EVERYONE tries to make the stories deep and meaningful and tries to push push the boundaries and barely anyone makes hacks that are like normal pokemon games anymore and that pisses me off... I think that the idea of a deep storyline on a GBA Pokemon ROM hack is pathetic and over rated...

I don't think the idea of a deep storyline is pathetic and overrated, as you say. I think it's more like... everyone's doing it wrong. The ideal "Nintendo" storyline is already laid out and perfect or whatever for everyone that plans to go that way, but there's no real guidelines for someone trying to branch off in a different story direction. I'm definitely sure that it's possible to pull off a deep storyline or whatever, but everyone who has tried thus far has done it wrong.

As far as actually answering the topic, uh, I'm neutral on graphics. Good graphics are nice, bad graphics are bad... whatever. To be honest, though, bad graphics kill a hack more than good graphics enhance one, so if you're unsure about it, stick with the old Nintendo tiles. They're suitable enough.

I dunno if mapping was in one of your categories but my opinion on that is this; if it's not playable, it's not good. "Not playable" can mean anything from 1-tile-walkways to 23-tile-walkways. Edits to already in-game maps tend to fall under "not good" as well, and using your own tiles incorrectly with tile errors tends to make me think poorly of your hack. Just use the stuff properly and I'm good.

I think what Equin said on scripting captures my opinion pretty well; it's the representation of your effort, really.

Originality? What's original nowadays?

I figure my opinion on stories is evident based on my response to that quote up there.

Music, in my opinion, can make a hack. Having the perfect music for your scene can push that level of identification that the player has with the game to a whole new level. It's hard to get the feelings moved when you've got "Viridian City" playing in the background. As far as hacking goes, I'm all for getting the player deep into the game to the point that they feel for characters when good or bad things happen to them, and music really enhances that aspect. I suppose that's why I don't favor "Nintendo-style" hacks where the character just kind of goes around and gets the badges for no particular reason (whether it's specified or not, the player doesn't really care why they're getting the badges). Having player-character interaction is really my ultimate goal when I'm hacking and I think that Nintendo-storyline hacks are not the way to go to achieve that.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    A hack with unique and creative scripts and nice mapping is what I prefer. But since the first thing one notices in any hack are the mapping and sprites, it is very important to have decent mapping abilities. First impression is the last impression, you know. xD;;

Years
    personly i just like the towns like in pokemon naranja i like the begining town not pallet but the one in the orange isle and in pokemon reign of legends i really like how the effect of clouds in the water make it look like your climbing higher and higher into the air

Back