• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen When the metal games came out, did you pretend...

Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2013
    When the metal games come out, did anyone else pretend they were playing as the same character from Gen 1? I remember pretending that after mastering the Kanto League, my Gen 1 character decided to take on the Johto League, but wanted to start off with brand new Pokemon, and I guess did some sort of exchange program where he lived with a family in New Bark Town.

I forgot how I reconciled the fight against Red. Maybe I pretended it was Gold... Oh, and even in Stadium 1+2 I did the same thing.

Did anyone do anything like that?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I thought they looked alike comparing OW sprites, but considering the way they looked before being shrunk into that OW sprite, I knew they were different guys. Besides, it was heavily implied that this GSC character had not had their own Pokemon before.

Pechachu

Indifference, I choose you!
    Years
  • I don't think I did, actually, seeing how Red and Gold's character art looked so different. When I first started playing Silver, I think I may have hoped it was the same character, and I may have called him "Ash" in game, but deep down, I knew. ;~;

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I don't recall doing that. Even though I probably named him the same thing due to my inability to come up with good names for male characters. I believe I've always counted them as two separate entities.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • Nope, because the meal generations were my first Pokemon games. XD I knew nothing about Red until I battled him.

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
    Years
  • No, I never did that.
    However, I did pretend that every animal I saw was a Pokémon, and I'd pretend to throw Pokéballs to catch them. XD;

Years
  • I love doing that for all the games xD It's kinda hard for G/S/C , though, since your character goes to Kanto to defeat the eight gyms, which wouldn't make since if they had already defeated them.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2010
    I love doing that for all the games xD It's kinda hard for G/S/C , though, since your character goes to Kanto to defeat the eight gyms, which wouldn't make since if they had already defeated them.
    Oh yeah. PLUS I guess he technically defeated the Elite 4 already. And of course there's the battle at Mt. Silver.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2012
    I forgot how I reconciled the fight against Red. Maybe I pretended it was Gold...

Well, it's quite simple. "Red" was, in fact, a manifestation of the aspect of yourself that wanted to stay in Kanto, in familiar surroundings. Battling and defeating him meant that you had conquered the aspect of your psyche which was afraid of change, afraid of leaving home, thus freeing you up to go to Hoenn and wear a silly hat/haircut.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2010
    Well, it's quite simple. "Red" was, in fact, a manifestation of the aspect of yourself that wanted to stay in Kanto, in familiar surroundings. Battling and defeating him meant that you had conquered the aspect of your psyche which was afraid of change, afraid of leaving home, thus freeing you up to go to Hoenn and wear a silly hat/haircut.
    Congratulations, you just blew my mind.

Team Carbon Boss: Roran

Gonna quit this website.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011

You have now just convinced me to replay the entire series again; in that fashion.
    Yay. :)

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
  • Wow, and here I thought I was the only one who did this. In the first two generations I always named the MC Ash; even when I got Crystal I refused to choose the female protagonist (even though I myself am female) for this reason. When I got to the fight against Red I assumed we were the same person, except that the Red I was facing was the one from the past... idk, I was a weird kid. xD It wasn't until R/S/E that I started picking the female character and naming her after me, but had I not done that I probably would've still named Ruby "Ash."

Nowadays I would've named the MCs after their PokéSpe counterparts, as that's the name I know them by. But back then any male Pokémon protagonist HAD to be Ash from the anime.

Gundisalvus Kuno

Solving Problems Since 1999
    Years
  • I pretended that it was a continuation of my past self. Seeing Red at the end didn't have an impact on this as that was not my name from the past games anyway, so I acted as if he was in no way related to my character

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I viewed them as different characters, really - it never came to my mind when I first played that Gold could have been Red. Might have been partly due to the instruction menu as well which I believe named them, heh. (I named him after myself on my first playthrough, and Silver ??? because it said that was his name in the game XD).

Back