• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When watching Anime, do you prefer...

HollowNightmare

Black Light. White Evil.
    Years
    Subs rule! No offence but sometimes in the dubbing, it turns out bad. I think, in my opinion, that, the dubbed version of animes should really be the translation of the Japaness script. I'm not sure if the following effects all animes, but, I know for a fact that when Bleach is dubbed they get a guy in to design a brand new script 'designed for American audiences.'

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
    Subs...they actually tend to be more accurate, at least in my experience. They don't have to match the mouths moving, so they can actually directly translate.

revelp8

My mohawk is on fiiiyaaaa!
    Years
    just subs for me. ill catch a few dubs trying to catch jonny bosch ^.^ i didn't know he voice acted for ALOT of animes. yay black ranger

Phanima

That servant of the evil one
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2011
    There aren't many dubs that I've found that have the same impact the raw versions have, which is all mainly due to the projection of the voice actors. Dragonball/Z is the only series that comes to mind where a few of the VAs are decent, the rest being choppy and unenthusiastic. Although, it's probably because of the constant power-up scenes where they scream endlessly that impressed me, despite the raw version's cast sounding quite different (and a little younger iirc).

So all in all, I prefer subs. I'm still debating whether dub or raw is better, since its basically just a matter of understanding Japanese, but all of the series I've watched so far have been subbed, so I haven't really needed to decide. Official or fansubs don't really matter either, as long as the general script remains the same.

drunk ¬_¬

Koga Bunshin no Jutsu!
    Years
    i prefer subs just for the quality of the japanese voice acting over that of the english voice actors (when it comes to anime),

just like i'd rather watch a movie made in US in English and one made in México in Spanish...

the original versions are ALWAYS better, but since I can't completely understand Japanese yet, I guess fansubs will just have to do the trick

OverlordMia

I'm absolutely CRAZY about it!
    Years
    I actually prefer subs over anything else. Above all, it just might be able to help me learn Japanese, which is something I really wanna do. Some of the dubs just sound horrible to me but I'll watch them if they're available, unless I completely refuse to watch it. (Curse you 4kids!!!)

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
    definatly subs, american voice acting tends to kill a series :(

So can Japan's Voices can ruin them. Look at DBZ in Japan, Goku Voice's really isnt that great didnt ruin the series just didnt do so well, on account its a girl doing the voice same for Gohan, its more better in America I say

But I say Both, I watch them both

Shiroi Alucard

White Knight
    Years
    Any of them are fine with me, but I do prefer Dubs so I don't have to read but, still understand them, though I wish they kept the original dialog from the Japanese! XD

Hikari318

Eevee Breeder
    Years
    Fansubs can be of bad quality and innacurate, but so can dubs. The thing is that they're supposed to be professionals, so it's less easy to forgive.
    But what I really hate about some localizations, is that they think they own the story and can rewrite the script. I still haven't forgotten their butchering of most of my favourite characters in digimon, yu-gi-oh etc
    That was what really turned me away from them.
    I know they seem to make effort to stay close to the original, but that's too late now.
    I try to avoid speedsubs and choose teams that do it seriously and try to give their subs the best quality possible. Otherwise I just watch raws, or just ignore the subtitles (not that hard to do with some practice).

Now about the voice acting, I'm not really familiar with the american one, though the few times I've tried watching it, I didn't really like it. It's maybe because of the accent, that's sometimes too strong (at least french voice actors try to speak as neutrally as possible), or, like the french ones, they often seem to lack motivation. I don't know, the anime is always much more lively in japanese, and I don't think it's only because of the language itself (because english does have a lot of intonation, more than french at least [I'm currently learning about the stress, and that's not easy >_<]).
    I don't really like french dubbing, for two main reasons : one is cited above, they often sound bored (compared to the japanese at least), or overact and don't sound natural in their acting), and the second is that there are so few of them, you find them everywhere.
    Now I love finding my favourite seiyuu in many anime, but the fact they don't appear in all of them make hearing them more enjoyable, more special.
    Also, they seem to have a better voice range, and it's rare when two japanese character sound exactly alike. The same can't be said about other languages dubbing. That's probably because seiyuu are more popular in Japan, voice acting seems to be better viewed there than in our countries, and thus their training is probably more advanced.
    There's also the fact that they are carefully chosen according to the personnality of the character. I've read somewhere that voice actors in the west are chosen according to the look of the characters, not their personnality. Add to that the lack of range and you get two characters who are complete opposites but sound almost the same. No thanks.
    Then last, one of the thing I pay the most attention to when I watch an anime is the voices, because I'm that weird, and so I'm a hopeless seiyuu fangirl. Which is why I give myself headaches trying to decifer kanji when I play games, because I can't stand not playing with the japanese voices... >_<

So yeah, raw or sub.
    Or better yet, on japanese TV, but I don't have that xD

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    hmmm...i generally watch raws due to speed and forgetfulness issues

subs...a lot of them are good, a general bunch of them are not too, and joke subs are hilarious. As far as subbers go though, there's usually at least one good subber on the ones i actually want to watch, so i don't really worry so much about that. most of the time i just forget to get the subs when they come out

dubs...well, i can say a lot of dubs aren't too good. all the kid-targeted dubs generally suck due to the difference of audience, and change of names, and actual editing of the shows besides the mouthing. And then there are the Shonen Jump Anime, where the guys try to copy as much as they can to to point where they go overboard and such (pronunciation of names, "believe it!", etc.). And the part where they HAVE to add Shonen Jump's to the title for whatever screwed up reason.
    Other than those two categories, dubs aren't so bad voice acting-wise. they need more and better slice of life actors though. That'd be nice if bandai did that one "Who do you want to voice act _____" type thing more often...

Ichikool

D/P Lover
    Years
    • Age 32
    • NY
    • Seen Feb 26, 2018
    Subs of course...
    I absolutely hate (most) dubs. ><
    And I can't understand Japanese

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    I just want to make this clear. You can't learn Japanese by watching subs or raw. The most you"ll get of it is "Kawaii" and "Onii-chan". You can't learn to spell these things or anything.

On topic now, the Cowboy Bebop dub is better than the original, anyone else agree?

It seems not so far.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    I just want to make this clear. You can't learn Japanese by watching subs or raw. The most you"ll get of it is "Kawaii" and "Onii-chan". You can't learn to spell these things or anything.

On topic now, the Cowboy Bebop dub is better than the original, anyone else agree?

It seems not so far.

I agree. In the original, Spike and Jet sound the same, and the voice doesn't really suit Spike anyway.

The dub's general script/dialogue is a lot better too, you can also hear more emotion in some of the characters voices.

Of course, the original is tops too.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    I agree. In the original, Spike and Jet sound the same, and the voice doesn't really suit Spike anyway.

The dub's general script/dialogue is a lot better too, you can also hear more emotion in some of the characters voices.

Of course, the original is tops too.

Not top enough it appears. But at least it proves a point.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018

Not really...a nice chunk of my vocab is derived from watching raws/subs, though I was actually watching subs and raws with the partial goal of getting a bit of japanese out of it. Most people as far as i know are the types that just read the text rather than listening and trying to get things out of it. I guess the part where i started listening to other such things kinda helped a bit too...I dunno, what i tell people i did tends not to work for the people i know so i guess it could just be me or something.
    Sentence structure i got mostly from classes, along with grammar, different forms of words, more vocab, writing system, etc.

Back