• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When would you, should you use a master ball?

Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2016
    I naively used mine to catch a voltorb or electrode (I forget which) before it self destructed. I came to regret that when I went hunting for the legendaries post-game. But really, I could have caught those self-destructing spheres without it and I did get all the legendaries without it too.

I'm currently thinking that they may as well stay in my inventory from now on in case I meet a shiny in the wild one day.

Considering how rare master balls are, when would you use one? What have you used them to catch in the past?

Sebastian_Sommer

Rocket grunt
    Years
    In the past, I always use the masterball to obtain legendaries since the catch rate in the early generation was ridiculously hard. But now I started to catch legendaries with certain types of pokeball that complements their color, so I only use it on mewtwo.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    I tend to use mine on the title legendary so have Xerneas, Yveltal, Groudon in Master Ball from Gen 6. In Gen 1 I used mine on MewTwo, in SS on Lugia and White on Zekrom.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Master Balls are only use for capturing those roaming Pokémon, like The Eon Siblings, Lake Guardian from the Sinnoh region games, Legendary beasts from the Johto and Kanto games, etc.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    The roaming pokemon, yes, if you didn't have anything to trap them. I would only use the Master Ball on one of the legendaries with a really low catch rate.

bluestars83

Your friendly neighborhood Ace Trainer :)
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 6, 2016
    In Y when i played that i used it to catch Yveltal. Now i go AS i caught Deoxys with it. I catch every other catchable legendary with Ultra Balls, can be lengthy but very possible. Catching the title legendary is really the only pokemon worth using the Master Ball on. I don't see you using it otherwise. I mean i'd use it on any old female poke if i was interested in getting the pokeball passed down through breeding but i'm not so. . . title legendary it is :)

Neo_Angelo

Used Discharge!
    Years
    For me, i'd only use it on the roaming legendaries that you usually had to trap in battle to catch, since any other legendary battle you can save beforehand, means you get infinite number of tries catching it without a master ball.

The masterball is useful for those pesky ones that only appear by roaming the region (I used mine for Entei in gold and Uxie in Platinum? can't actually remember what game that trio was in).

Now a masterball has become less of a useful item as you can battle most legendaries and save beforehand. Sometimes i try to catch legends with say premier balls and pokeballs just to be different. :P

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    I use them for each pokemons I catch due to the fact that I managed to get my hands on 999 masterballs. Then I send some of the master balls via trade (held by pokemons like magicarp or any other easy and frequent spawn) to other pokemon games. Did I say that I have all 4 games from the last gen? Na dI only did that on games I restarted after completing them once?

Zeleia

StainRose
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    Don't worry about Masterball too much. I used mine to catch a Skarmory. It's not that big a deal.

I usually have one pokemon I train specifically for catching pokemon/legendaries, in ORAS is my Gallade, with False Swipe/Taunt/Mean Look/Hypnosis. With Sleep and 1 HP, ultra/dusk balls are enough.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
    On Shiny Godzillados.

Jokes aside, I rarely use mine, even on roaming legendaries. It's the last option, only reserved for when I run out of Pokeballs, and even then I don't use it because I only have one.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Sometimes I just throw the masterball at legendary mascots or other roaming legendaries cuz they move around after words like the dogs. Well, if you just catch something it catchable, but not a legendary. It's all up to you.

Years
    The last roaming legendary that I used my Master Ball on was Latias on Sapphire; ever since then I've saved my Master Ball in case I come across a shiny Pokemon, so that I don't have to risk losing it by KO, having it use Roar/Whirlwind/Teleport, etc. Because of that, the only Pokemon that I've used a Master Ball on in the past few years was on a shiny Ducklett on White.

But, I figure if you want a Pokemon really bad, that's what you should use your Master Ball on. And if that means saving it for a shiny, a roaming Pokemon, or even the mascot legendary, go right ahead and use it!

Years
    I really only use Master Balls on a hard-to-catch Legendary. For example I used mine on Mewtwo in X since I didn't really need it for anything else given Zygarde and the Kanto bird are battled in caves where Dusk Balls are just as effective, and Mewtwo having a healing move made me not want to waste my time.

In Alpha Sapphire I just threw it at Deoxys. I have strategies for catching other Legendaries in mind anyway.

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Jul 3, 2018
    I use them for the main legendaries. Would use them on all the other (shiny) legendaries otherwise.
    To make sure I catch em.

Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2016
    Thanks for the replies and the ideas. It sounds like a lot of people use them for the version mascot which sounds like a cool idea. I have already caught the mascot so I'll hang onto mine for another time.

I had not heard of roaming legendaries but I looked it up. In X it looks like it settles down after a number of encounters. I would feel I was missing out on one of the aspects of the game if I took a shortcut.

I'll hang onto my master ball for now in case I see a shiny.

Thanks for moving the thread, Pepperton. Sorry for posting it in the wrong section.

Reactions: Sun

Drayton

Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Though I really wish they'd sell Master Balls in Poke Marts or something...even if they'd be really expensive (like 100,000 pokedollars maybe, or would that be a bit much?). I suppose this cuts down on the overall novelty of having a Master Ball, but still....
    I think masterball is best not to be purchaseable else where, but only as one-time or can be only obtained thru lotto-id and as for price it should be like with a rich price tag say 500,000 pokebucks.

Drayton

Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I think 200k or 300k isn't reasonable enough, maybe like say 400k is reasonable and while in XY it's pretty easy to get lots of pokebucks from restaurants/cheatues and even heck take down the league dozen of times and the 100% catch rate thing isn't suppose cheap.

Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2016
    I quite like them being unobtainable through normal means. It makes them seem more special and it's not as if you need them for anything. I don't think there is any part of the game that you will miss out on if you don't have a Master Ball.

Besides, for 500,000 you can get 416 Ultra Balls. Or, you can grind less and still buy enough Ultra Balls to catch anything in the game.

Back