• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Where do Pokemon go when they die?

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Well honey, they go to Pokemon Heaven, where they play & eat all day long!

AMG

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2009
    Lavender Town where whose who wish to still have a presence in the world become Gastlys.

AuraAshley

Wê'll §†å¥ £ðrêvêr †hï§ wå¥
    Years
  • oh oh i have an idea. when they die they become ghastly haunter or gengar

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • Maybe the spirit goes to the Reverse World? :< So the Marowak in FRLG must have come out of the Reverse World somehow... o3o.

Years
  • This is my theory:
    When pokemon die, they go into another dimension. This dimension is essentially the equivalent of heaven/hell/some other more neutral location. If say, they were brutally murdered, or killed in some exceptionally violent and/or sudden way, their spirit may cross back over into the normal dimension, so that they may try to either find some sort of peace, through revenge, knowledge, or whatever allows them to accept their death, or, become a ghost pokemon, and try to live out the rest of the life that was taken from them.

For example, the Marowak in the pokemon tower that was killed by Team Rocket. I'm assuming it needed to be able to have a fair fight for its life. It never had a chance against team rocket, but being able to fight against someone and being defeated, it is able to find some peace. I'm sure it also likes the fact that you're avenging its death by defeating Team Rocket.

If, say, a young pokemon dies of an illness or something, before being able to have a long, fulfilling life, it might come back as a ghost pokemon, in the hopes of 'living'. Something like reincarnation. I imagine something like this happened with Ash's Haunter in the anime. It just wanted some fun and someone to share a few laughs with.

If they just die of old age, after having a happy life, they just go to the other dimension/heaven/etc., which I would assume is something that the pokemon finds pleasant.

But who knows. I for sure don't think all pokemon come back as ghost pokemon, but I suppose something like that is possible, and ghost pokemon are just what we see whenever they cross between dimensions at areas where the gap between the dimensions is bridged. Haunted houses, the Pokemon Tower, Mt. Pyre, etc.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    HOW do pokemon die? I know they die, in movies, {{i haven't seen all of thm sadly...care to clue me in?}}, and TR managed to kill pokemon but they can be zapped with OVER 9000 volts of electricity, burned with OVER 9000 degrees of heat, and yet they manage to get by with paralysis, a small burn, slight poisoning, or fainting. >.>
    They'd die like a human. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Pokémon most likely don't attack each other with all the force they can when they're just 'battling' or 'sparring'. However, they may kill each other in the wild.

well judging by everyones response, my pokeheaven idea makes the most sense.
    That's incredibly biased. Not everyone is religious, so PokéHeaven is not the best explanation. Because none of us know what happens when we die, we can't say for sure.

Their are kinda like animals, souless, so they can't go to a Heaven.
    I really don't see the logic in this at all. Every living thing has a soul. Dogs and such can feel love.

dream's-epilogue

Worthless
    Years
  • Their are kinda like animals, souless, so they can't go to a Heaven.
    Ow...that hurt...

PokeHeaven or become ghost pokemon

Heaven sounds nice...though I REALLY don't like ghosts, and probably wouldn't enjoy being one, either...

The point is that no one can say for sure unless they somehow gain the ability to speak to dead Pokemon (AND UNDERSTAND THEM!!).

And when I die, I doubt I'll find a way to communicate with the realm of the living. I won't exactly be able to put up "The Pokemon Afterlife" on YouTube...unless the afterlife has WiFi, which I doubt.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    I'm kind of surprised on a lot of people's (western) beliefs in regards to Pokemon.

Has anyone considered Shintoism or Buddhism? (Pokemon is after all produced in Japan).

To me, with evidence mostly from the games, it would seem as though that spirits exist. If this is in limbo, or just a natural process, I am unsure.

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2010
    all what I think is they become a Ghost pokemon . there isnt that much of Ghost type pokemon in the world . so A dead pokemon might become either Gastly , Misdreavos , Shuppet , Duskull. there are some pokemon that im not sure of they,re dead or something like that :

Sableye : I think its a zombie ....

Shedinja : it is said that its a bug shell that had been thrown and came to life

Drifloon : Dunno...

Spiritomb : the Odd Keystone with tons of Spirits of Human results in spiritomb...

Milke

Chill it an' spill it.
    Years
  • I really don't see the logic in this at all. Every living thing has a soul. Dogs and such can feel love.

Can they now? How's that? Do you really think your dog "loves" you, or is it just doing that so that you give it food, play with it, etc.? You also assume that if something can "love," then it has a soul. Why is that?

I still say that like animals on this earth, pokemon wouldn't go to heaven or hell. They die. The end. Get eaten by Weedles.

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Somehow, they'll just decompose.

Do you really think your dog "loves" you, or is it just doing that so that you give it food, play with it, etc.?

Do you know dogs can feel jealousy? That's right, dogs can't be loyal all the time. If you can be jealous, can you love? Actually, it's the other way round. To be jealous, you have to love first.

Last edited:

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I'd say for Pokemon, they die, and if they don't feel the need to stay among the living they go away to a Pokemon spirit sanctuary. If they did things they (Arceus?) considered evil, they are allowed to reincarnate so many times, and if they don't get it together, they go nonbeing. If they did need to stay, and for a very, very good reason, or their will is very strong, they "resist" death and stay like the Marowak until soothed or taken care of.

As for ghost pokemon, they could be living beings which can pass into the Dark Future and back. Certain ones, like some Dusknoir, are employed to help soothe troubled souls which are "overdue".

Back