• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Where is Isshu? Confirmed - New York

Where is Isshu?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Uh, no. That Long Island is seen as part of Isshu. Cutting it off means, guess what, it's much less likely to be NYC! And anyway, your guys theory is "based off New York City and surrounding area". If it doesn't match the surrounding area...use logic, please.
    Weren't you the one who said Pokemon regions are always altered from their IRL counterparts?

You were correct, look at Kanto.

Where is Isshu? Confirmed - New York

Far from a perfect match-up.

Charizard632

Now a great Touhou addict
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Jul 6, 2012
    It's around the area of Seattle, Washington. It says that you can only go to Isshu from Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh by boat or plane. I've been thinking about it, and it's definately Seattle, Washington.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    Any, you know, actual proof?

Charizard632

Now a great Touhou addict
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Jul 6, 2012
    Maybe. Going from Japan to Seattle, Washington is a decent length. When the official results are told, then we will know. But I don't know why Seattle got into me.

GFA

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    Maybe. Going from Japan to Seattle, Washington is a decent length. When the official results are told, then we will know. But I don't know why Seattle got into me.

Japan to NYC is longer. And NYC is a place that people around the world go to, and have heard of. Seattle? Not so much.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Except Noh and Kabuki dont work that way at all.

I had to use Google to understand :(

Kay I get it, but Pokemon puts a strange spin on real things, I guess. It's probably the fault of TV and the sorts that I associate all that sort of stuff with Japan rather than America.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Weren't you the one who said Pokemon regions are always altered from their IRL counterparts?

You were correct, look at Kanto.

Where is Isshu? Confirmed - New York

Far from a perfect match-up.

Yeah, sure, but remove two thirds of a landmass? If you warp it a bit, that indented bit of Long Island to the south-western end could work as Isshu's coast...but the bit between the coast and the Long Island Sound is about four times larger than the lump in Isshu.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    You don't get it!! Long Island is NOT PART OF NYC so it doesn't need to be on the map!!!

It's like saying just because Johto and Kanto are connected means Kanto should be on the Johto map an vice versa. LONG ISLAND IS NOT PART OF NYC AND THEREFORE SHOULD NOT BE ON THE NYC MAP. END OF STORY.

So much for unbanning on Bulba. T_T

Kanto is way different than it's inspiration. Artistic license does apply here. Therefore, instead of the shape or features of the region itself, it may do to lend more weight to similarities between man made structures and conventions.

Last edited:

GFA

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    Kanto is way different than it's inspiration. Artistic license does apply here. Therefore, instead of the shape or features of the region itself, it may do to lend more weight to similarities between man made structures and conventions.

It never has in the past, so no, no it shouldnt

DarthSenorQueso

Officially number 1 snake
    Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2016
    Because people are discussing if B/W are in the US

I personally believe that there is no way Isshu is not the hudson valley of New York, where I live.... might be vanity and all but here's some decisive evidence.

1. Football players. We are the only country with our name in a sport because we were too stupid to realize "Football" had already been taken. So of course it would be a signature thing to put in a game based in America.
    2. Huin, a big city near the water with a theme park and a smaller islands, sound like anywhere else in the world but New York City? Maybe somewhere, but not very likely.
    3. The Subway....okay what's one of the most infamous things about NYC? The gross subways.
    4. Backpackers. NYC is also known for it's large amount of Hobos around.
    5. The pokemon, First we have an Eagle, okay could be anything. Then a Native American Chipmunk....Still anything. Then we have a Legendary #000 which is an event pokemon unlocked by the....liberty ticket.
    6. The topography, if you look at the map and go to a map of New York, you'll find it looks much like the stretch of land that goes from the big apple to a town called Woodstock, land of the hippies...(could be where the munna line came from)

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years
    I don't think it's supposed to resemble just one city.

As people have pointed out, multiple major costal cities around the world resemble Isshu's layout. These cities include New York City and Shanghai. There are more but I don't remember the name.

It actually resembles Shanghai more than New York City in my opinion. But it doesn't matter, it's just a game.

Shanghai

Rotate it 90 degrees to the right, and it looks exactly like Isshu as well. But that geographical layout is actually very common.

DarthSenorQueso

Officially number 1 snake
    Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2016

As people have pointed out, multiple major costal cities around the world resemble Isshu's layout. These cities include New York City and Shanghai. There are more but I don't remember the name.

It actually resembles Shanghai more than New York City in my opinion. But it doesn't matter, it's just a game.

Shanghai

Rotate it 90 degrees to the right, and it looks exactly like Isshu as well. But that geographical layout is actually very common.

First, I never said It resembled the city but a few counties of area in new york, the catskill mountains etc.

Second off, I'm not basing this all off of just one topic, but all of them at the same time, you want to debunk my theory try harder next time.

dieter57

pokemon master
    Years

Shanghai

shanghai doesn't have the islands on the coast in the same relative spots as new york and isshu.

shanghai is intersected with like 2 or 3 rivers while isshu and new york aren't.

you have to rotate shanghai 90 degrees while new york you don't.

it's geographically similar but NYC is almost an exact match.

it's new york.

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years
    First, I never said It resembled the city but a few counties of area in new york, the catskill mountains etc.

Second off, I'm not basing this all off of just one topic, but all of them at the same time, you want to debunk my theory try harder next time.

You don't have to attack me, I was just posting an opinion. I wasn't even trying to debunk your theory.

incognito322

let's look towards the future!
    Years
    ...though Isshu definitely looks more geographically aligned to NYC, its features are not. With Shanghai you would have to do way too much altering to make an Isshu. I mean rotation was used with Kyushu for better gameplay... but the other regions were only slightly modified.

AND! Even though almost every single major coastal city is connected to a river of sorts, that doesn't mean it's all the same, and I hate it when people try to generalize things like that (not even in the Isshu argument). Pokemon maps follow geographical nuances. But to heck with it. It's just a shape T.T"

GFA

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    The thing is though, the past regions have had ONLY ONE place they're modled after.

GFA

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    What does the Pokemon Victini have to do with the New York theories? O.o

You get it from the Libery Ticket. Where is the Statue of Liberty? Besides France...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back