• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Where is Isshu? Confirmed - New York

Where is Isshu?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

incognito322

let's look towards the future!
    Years
    Liberty is a concept, an abstract noun. And I'm pretty sure Victini's symbolism takes some of that. Sure, some associate it with the US, because of it's statue, but that doesn't necessarily suggest we have an Isshu=NYC on your hands. Jirachi was based on wishes, of all things, and those don't have a direct connection to Kyushu.

Let's stick to the geography: My thing is the land's SHAPE may be based on NYC but Isshu itself has its own take on civilization.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    Liberty is a concept, an abstract noun. And I'm pretty sure Victini's symbolism takes some of that. Sure, some associate it with the US, because of it's statue, but that doesn't necessarily suggest we have an Isshu=NYC on your hands. Jirachi was based on wishes, of all things, and those don't have a direct connection to Kyushu.

Let's stick to the geography: My thing is the land's SHAPE may be based on NYC but Isshu itself has its own take on civilization.

/head-desk. Thats one giant fallacy. Wishes doesnt =Kyushu, sure, but Liberty = NYC. Or, at least the otherway around.

Liberty & the Geography & Far away = NYC.

incognito322

Years
    Well if it really didn't matter this thread wouldn't have been created.
    It's nice to see that Isshu has so many international influences there's debate as to its origin. It shows the Pokemon is moving along from its Japanese roots... for better or worse O.o

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years

The customs are a bit different as well.

The older main characters are based on that Americans are much more protective over their children (this is true.)

The introduction to other-race people in the game (and anime) means that the people are much more of a mixing pot like the US is. While countries like China (said due to Shanghai) and Japan tend to be..much less mixed.

incognito322

Years
    The customs makes sense. I mean the protective-ness of children.
    I think it's based on NYC, I'm just not going to lean on the legendary for support.

Then again, Isshu and Gen 5 are almost like a modern "restart" of Pokemon. Which means quite a few things that have never been done will be done. I think that NYC, because of its international status, is a good place to base the region off of. It's different, and sets a new precedent.

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years
    The customs makes sense. I mean the protective-ness of children.
    I think it's based on NYC, I'm just not going to lean on the legendary for support.

Then again, Isshu and Gen 5 are almost like a modern "restart" of Pokemon. Which means quite a few things that have never been done will be done. I think that NYC, because of its international status, is a good place to base the region off of. It's different, and sets a new precedent.

I agree with everything you said.

Oh, I also have one more thing to add. The region of Isshu is supposed to be much more industrialized. Like the US, a strong industrialized country (more-so than Japan anyway, nearly every country is industrialized technically speaking.)

austy14

Cannibal
    Years
    If it is new York, we'll get a lot of regions out of America if Pokemon keeps going (and it's assured to.) And I just thought, 3 on 3 battles... reminds me of 3 on 3 basketball. I would think basketball is big in NYC so maybe that's a reference? At this point I think we're all trying too hard.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I'm glad this type of discussion isn't banned on this site unlike the Bulbapedia forums despite having causes some flames to go up on here. I hope we get more proof that it's NY if it is NY...which I think it is :)

incognito322

Years
    3 on 3 battles can be found in the anime. I think you'll be able to find a lot of references, maybe in-game convos and whatnot, but I seriously doubt all of Isshu's appearance is based on NYC, or America. I'm actually wondering, at this point, what Isshu's OTHER influences might be.

Gardenia101

Official Lurker
    Years
    We'll really have to wait and see, because we might not get the right information from what we think is "Proof".

Like, if they reveal a town full of Stuff that yells "Chinese!", it could be Shanghai or it could be Chinatown in New York. Thats just an example. But I'm pretty sure we'll get what it is when the games and especially the anime comes out.

orange discontent

pogeymans?
    Years
    legendmaster#1 said:
    If there are a lot of pokemon with a red,white, or blue coloring, it's probably America

...that's just like saying "There's a bambi pogeyman so it's America!" or "It's not NYC because of the desert!" Faulty logic, although the very American Wargle is practically a shoe-in having a silhouette revealed on PokeSun. I don't remember other "foreign" Pokes like Xatu getting that coverage. This is about geographical features of a real-world place matching up with Isshu, anyways.

By the by, the Liberty Ticket going to "Liberty Island" might as well be a "geographical feature" since you can see it on the map. Not to mention it's on the correct side of the peninsula (if not in the exact place) if it is indeed supposed to correspond to the real Liberty Island.

PKMN Trainer Silver

PKMN Master
    Years
    I'm not offending anybody, I'm expressing my opinion.

It bothers me because it is a Japanese game made for a Japanese audience, and that should not be taken for granted. The original games saw extended release because of the popularity of the Anime outside of Japan, thus we should feel privelidged that we get an English language release at all.

Now, if you need it in simple terms, the point I'm trying to make is this. By basing a new region outside of Japan, if I were a loyal Japanese player of the games I would feel betrayed. They were created primarily for the Japanese, and I would feel that the company is neglecting the roots of the franchise just to satisfy the egos of SOME American players, and to perhaps gain more mainstream popularity.

My second point is that, as I have stated many times, there are SOME American players who will see it as japan recognising America's superiority over everybody else, including Japan itself. And, at the risk of bordering on political themes, that is wrong because all races, nations and people are equal, and shouldn't be judged on size or wealth.

My third point would be, why base it on an American area specifically? If the region is going to be based on an area outside of Japan, what about the other nations, and by extension cities, that play the games? What about the areas of this world that express magical natural beauty that would be perfect for a game based on capturing animals?

I just feel that it is tragic that, if Isshu is indeed based upon NYC, they have alienated the loyal players that don't reside in the US and have betrayed their loyal domestic players in Japan, all because they feel the need to adhere to the fact that America and Americans are superior to everybody else. there's nothing wrong with being patriotic, in fact I encourage it, but there is a line.

I'm sorry, but reading this post bothered me.

"It bothers me because it is a Japanese game made for a Japanese audience, and that should not be taken for granted."
    1) So it should be made just Japan. Eventually that will get repetitive since Japan is a rather small island chain and they have; Kanto, Sevii Islands, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Orre, etc already based on Japan, they will eventually run out of area.

"By basing a new region outside of Japan, if I were a loyal Japanese player of the games I would feel betrayed."
    2) Well, thankfully, you're not. Why would they feel betrayed? So what if it's based on a land that is not Japan, they still get the game first and they still get more events. If it's based on NYC cool, a lot of people like New York City, even the Japanese and ironically it looks similar to Tokyo.

"I just feel that it is tragic that, if Isshu is indeed based upon NYC, they have alienated the loyal players that don't reside in the US and have betrayed their loyal domestic players in Japan, all because they feel the need to adhere to the fact that America and Americans are superior to everybody else."
    3)Seriously? I don't really know what to say about your level of Anti-Americanism.

"My second point is that, as I have stated many times, there are SOME American players who will see it as japan recognising America's superiority over everybody else, including Japan itself. And, at the risk of bordering on political themes, that is wrong because all races, nations and people are equal, and shouldn't be judged on size or wealth."
    4)Really? You've mentioned Americans being superior? I hadn't noticed. You're judging Americans and putting politics on this dicussion and you're probably one of a very few amount of people that think it's about American superiority. At the end of the day, it's about Isshu, the new region in the Pokemon world, it's game. Get over it or go cry in a pillow about it, I don't care.

"My third point would be, why base it on an American area specifically? If the region is going to be based on an area outside of Japan, what about the other nations, and by extension cities, that play the games? What about the areas of this world that express magical natural beauty that would be perfect for a game based on capturing animals?"
    5)Hmm, couldn't be because we're a larger country or buy the second largest amount of game units...no, never. America is more than just a concrete jungle, we have wildlife and nature, quite a bit of it actually. If you mean why isn't it based in Africa...I'll give you three guesses.

Really, that's all I have to say. I think it looks more like NYC personally and you know maybe a change won't be so bad, but until they say it's designed after New York, it's Isshu plain and simple.

Last edited:

incognito322

Years
    I don't. Why would they combine areas? I mean it's possible, but not for the SHAPE of Isshu, which is corresponding to the SHAPE of NYC. I don't know why they would bother? I mean they have an imagination; Isshu's shape doesn't exactly match NYC's or it would be less organic.

Remember, ISSHU ITSELF IS NOT BASED ENTIRELY ON AMERICA! It may use American influences, but it's not like it's a representative area for America. If that was the case, the Kanto region would represent the Kanto area of Japan, which in real life is much more interesting, has more for you to do, and is much more exciting than the attitudes of the people in the game. The games TAKE INSPIRATION from real-life areas, not model them.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Truthfully, I find it likely that they combined both. Because, really, face facts; Nintendo can't completely copy a region of the world, it's just unethical. They would at least mix it, which I find likely that they will do.
    Who is it Unethical? It's not like they are copy righting the world :P.
    True they don't need to model the people of the region which so far Johto seems to me to have the most similar culture to it's real world counter part compared to the rest...

incognito322

Years
    Johto takes inspiration from the fact that the land it's based on has opposing attitudes and aesthetics when compared to the land Kanto is based on.

But that's another subject. Yes some of America is inspiration for Isshu, but I'm sure there are other influences in it too.

Zackraa

Nom Nom Nom
    Years
    I like how some mod deleted my post and didn't even explain why and didn't even leave a deleted notice where my post was

I think that Isshu is based on both New York and Shanghai there is evidence to support both

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back