• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Which do you think is the best starter?

xXNinetndoFreakXx

Pokémon Master~!
Years
I picked Snivy; watching the Japanese walkthroughs, Jalorda/Serperior looked EPIC.

Design-Wise, Snivy has the best design, while all 3 final evolutions have awesome designs, so....

But in Black I picked Oshawott, and I have to say Samurott is probably the best. If Razor Shell and Hydro Cannon aren't enough, it can also learn alot of TM and HM moves. (Like X-Scissor and Ice Beam to counter weaknesses.)

Years
  • Seen Mar 8, 2012
I am SPLIT!!! I love Oshwott and Snivy! I guess I love Doredia too much though, and I don't want two grass types, so I pick Oshwott.

Years
  • Seen Dec 11, 2016
I think of Pokabu as Porkibu / Herpburp, no offense to the pig's fans. Mheh, Fire/Ft has been done -- TWICE -- as starters. Blaziken was amazing, Infernape OK, but Enbuoh just... Sucks. The thing learns Scald! I was all 'WHUT.' when I found out.

Bad design, too. If Emboar had been Fire/Dark and had a better design (Fire beards suck, end of story.) I might have liked it more... But no.

Hence, I do and shall always use Snivy or Osha. I mean, their lines HAVE THE MOST EPICALLY EPIC DESIGNS. <3 Me wub Jaroda and Daikneki SO much. If PMD3 comes out my team shall be Snivy main and Osha partner. I've played 6 runs of Pokémon Black -- four with Snivy and one with Osha, and on with Tepig. Boy, did I regret the Tepig run. Anyways, I was quite happy with Samurott and Serperior. Samurott has VERY balanced stats and Serpy has AMAZING attack, and from experience, Leaf Blade criticals 8 on 10 times. Coil is not so bad either! <3 I wub Serperior so much that I'd place it as my third favourite Pokémon after Espy/Umbreon (tie) and Lanturn. Daikenki occupies a close fifth! (After Ampharos and Xatu tie)

If just Serpy could learn Horn Leech or a Phys Giga Drain... <3

Competitively, though... I'd say Samurott. Serperior, in retrospect, doesn't have so much access to many moves. On the other hand, Daikenki has a very wide movepool!

(Ignore my random swapping between Jap and English names. Crazy quirk. XD)

Years
I prefer Snivy or Tepig--but let's not say i can't choose one. But i wanna say it.
I used Tepig cuz' he can wipe out most of the Gym Leaders, but Serperior can save everyone's lives in Wi-Fi Battles so i wanted Wi-Fi to trade my Lvl 100 Emboar for a Serperior, any level.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
I thought I was gonna start with Solid Snivy when I first saw it. But no. I went with Revolver Oshawott.

Why?

Because Revolver Oshawott transforms into a freaking SAMURAI OTTER WITH SWORDS IT CAN PULL OUT OF ITS FREAKING ARMS.

Now that puts a pretty leafy snake and a boar with a manbeard to shame. Then again the latter didn't have much going for it anyways. It was another boring fire/fighting combo...

UmbreonKid

Umbreon
Years
I played the game 3 times over to see what the three starters are like but to me Oshawatt is the best.
Emboar may do some good to gym leaders but the real thing are the elite four. My emboar couldn't live through most of it so i had to use many potions and revives....
Serperior has the lowest base attack but when it learns Coil. You might as well get ready...
Samurott is doing very fair into Gym Leaders execpt for Elesa -.- but just catch a drillbur or a sandile :/ until then the elite four (i'm still currently on this one)

Lati-Fan95

I completed my HG Pokedex!^^
Years
Best starter for the beginning? Hmm, I think the best one to start with is Tepig!^^ I can´t recall having any problems with Tepig or its evolutions in the first playthrough. I gotta say that getting through the E4 was a bit harder with Emboar but it did very well against the dark type one and quite okay aginst Fighting and Ghost so it should be okay to use!^^ Although I´m not that much of a competitive battler, I´m using a scarfed Emboar and it kicked some serious butt when I used it aginst my bro´s team or while being in the Battle Subway!^^

But design-wise, I like Oshawott´s line the best!^^ They´re all awesome and its evolutions didn´t shock me at all while Tepig´s did when I saw them for the first time...^^

Oh, yeah, and I bet you all concluded that I chose Tepig, huh?^^ But I didn´t choose it on purpose: Actually, I closed my eyes and wildly hammered on the screen for 3 seconds and the starter I´d have when I open my eyes would be mine!^^

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2015
Ill have to agree with forever tepig is the best by far for the game, but if you wanna battle other people, id go with snivy. tepig has the movepool of potato, i mean come on no fire punch!

Nephilim

Resounding Sounds.
Years
  • Seen Aug 28, 2012
Hm...I'd like to think of it in this manner:

Design-wise:

Snivy would definitely take the crown for this one, and even it's evolutions seem to obviously carry that regal and "smug-ness" through and through. Tepig and oshawott are definitely cute, but unfortunately the same really can't be said about their final evolutions, which I believed turned most people off of them more often than not.

Funny though, I remember a discussion not so long before B/W was released when the picture of the final evolution of the starters was leaked or something and everyone was literally hoping that they were fake. I made a post then saying that in the future, probably no one would really care and pick Tepig or Oshawott anyway.

Turns out I was surprisingly correct, though I did say this happens in every generation, and it has happened.

Strength-wise:

Emboar, kinda. Serperior takes this crown also, because of it's Dream world ability. It's common knowledge that Contrary and Leaf Storm on Serperior is possibly one of the deadlist combinations in a grass-type Pokemon, which possibly could make serperior quite the formidable starter if you're facing someone who's quite experienced in it, at least.

Emboar has strength in it's typing. In a sense, it's another infernape, and a blaziken, unfortunately. I fail to see what really separates it from these two, and it seems as if the latter two outclass it anyway in pretty much everything. I'm not saying Emboar is terrible, but why must it be slow, of all things? It's a pig, but c'mon, Blatoise is a turtle and yet it's twice as fast as this thing.

---

I would probably going into more detail and whatnot, but I'm feeling kinda lazy and well, my personal bias towards grass-types would probably always win above everything else, so if anything, I would've gone for snivy whether it really had the strength or not. :(

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Snivy was definitely the pick of the bunch. I always pick the Fire-type on my first playthrough, and this was the first time I was thoroughly disappointed with its performance. I think Darmanitan is a more worthy option than Emboar.

Years
  • Seen Sep 16, 2011
I thought Emboar was a pretty nice Tank, I didn't pick Tepig, I picked Snivy whom in the end showed to be just as powerful but had the difference of type. Embaor would beat Serperior in a fair fight. If we're going by looks though, Sammurott is the best. His design is pretty unique.

PokéGirl Gabbi

Eeveelution Expert
Years
  • Seen Aug 20, 2011
Oshawott

Personally, I always start with the cutest looking Pokémon. I know it seems a little vain, and of course not everyone thinks that a certain Pokémon is cuter than the rest, but still. I've used this strategy many times and each time the Pokémon always seems best for me. In this case, I picked Oshawott and my Smurott has been a very supportive and amazing Pokémon for me.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
Years
mXf1D.png

Picture somewhat related I guess, I didn't really like any of them considering how Snivy gets no coverage at all (which is by far my favorite out of the bunch when it comes to looks), and Tepig is as SR mentioned a somewhat worse Darmanitan to me. Oshawott isn't however directly outclassed by anything due to the sparcity of waters in Unova, so I guess it gets my vote. Didn't do too badly, but it only shone rarely as well :/

dreyko

Isolated System.
Years
i like snivy and its final evo's design but tepig and evolutions have better typing and coverage. so based purely off design i have to go with snivy =)

toptheworld

Crash Addict
Years
Personally I still believe Oshawott is the best, not only because it goes from cute to cute badass to awesome badass, but also because it's one of the few water types in the game that are actually bareable. Masculin seems like a trollfish, and other than him there are only two other watertypes (that I am aware of. Correct me if I'm wrong). Samurott is one of the few good watertypes in the game, so I think choosing a watertype in a region that lacks watertypes is a good idea.

d4rkpnio

Blaziken Trainer
Years
Oshawott i tried emboar n his not tat gud his full of weakness and snivy s the 2nd because her moves are cooler than emboar XD

The Best there was

Training To Be The Best
Years
Yet to start my Black but after some reading and learning I'm going with Tepig.
Mainly because you get the fire type along with fighting type.

Back